Author Topic: The Holyland thread!  (Read 33660 times)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Re: The HOLYLAND thread!
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 28 November 15 16:39 GMT (UK) »
I expect my Holylands came originally from Desford but I can't link to any of the Desford data. My earliest proven Holyland event is John H who married Phyllis Nutting in Carlton by Market Bosworth in 1743. Their first child was Christopher, born the next year, and he obviously died as they had another Christopher several years later. So this must have been an important name for the family, and probably therefore links to the Christopher Holyland who m mary and had children in the 17teens in desford. But I've never found a baptism to prove this.

I have the Desford transcripts because of a different name in my tree.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
  • English conversation tutor in France.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 28 November 15 16:40 GMT (UK) »
The other Fulshaw Holyland has a hint on Ancestry (although at the moment I do not have a records subscription).

Fulshaw Holyland
BIRTH 1843 • St Margarets, Leicestershire, England
DEATH JUN 1919 • Leicester, Leicestershire, England
To me: 3rd great-grandfather

Hint - 1911 Census:

Name   Fulshaw Hslyland
Birth   1843 - Leicester, Leicestershire, England
Residence   02 Apr 1911 - Leicester, Leicestershire, England - Age: 68
Nelson / Fisher - Leics (Leicester, Shepshed, Hathern, Loughborough & Hinckley). Notts. Lowdham. Warks. Nuneaton, Chilvers Coton.
Timson - Leics (Enderby & Croft).
Holyland [Name adopted 1863] - Leics (Leicester, Barrow Upon Soar & Rothley).
Doolan [Name adopted 1899] / Fisher / Munson / Pettican - Essex (Colchester & Layer de la Haye)
Briant - Brantôme & Périgueux, Dordogne (France)
Soulette - Saint Pons de Thomières, Hérault (France)

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 28 November 15 16:48 GMT (UK) »
I expect my Holylands came originally from Desford but I can't link to any of the Desford data. My earliest proven Holyland event is John H who married Phyllis Nutting in Carlton by Market Bosworth in 1743. Their first child was Christopher, born the next year, and he obviously died as they had another Christopher several years later. So this must have been an important name for the family, and probably therefore links to the Christopher Holyland who m mary and had children in the 17teens in desford. But I've never found a baptism to prove this.

I have the Desford transcripts because of a different name in my tree.

My earliest is a Christopher Hollyland b. 1590 in Desford. I have his father recorded as Henry Hollyland but no date or birth place. Have no record for Christopher's mother either.
I have him down as being married to a Elizabeth Grace - no dates or other details for her either.

I've attached a screen shot of the early part of my tree.

John.
Nelson / Fisher - Leics (Leicester, Shepshed, Hathern, Loughborough & Hinckley). Notts. Lowdham. Warks. Nuneaton, Chilvers Coton.
Doolan [Name adopted 1899] / Fisher / Munson / Pettican - Essex (Colchester & Layer de la Haye)

Offline treegirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 28 November 15 21:04 GMT (UK) »
I've just had a look at the Desford baptisms and can confirm that it shows Jane Holyland christened  on 13 Feb 1810, daughter of William and Mary. I do wonder if this is correct though, as I can't see any other baptisms to William and Mary, but there are several of children of William and Hannah.

This is what I have for William & Hannah HOLYLAND...

http://www.parlonsrosbif.com/familytree/fam572.html

My Jane (married to Thomas) had Elizabeth TILLSON, who then married John RILEY, son of John RILEY and Hannah ADCOCK and relation to Thomas RILEY who married Ann HOLYLAND.

I had made the link that Jane and Ann were sisters and both married and moved to Stoney Stanton. That would mean that my 3xg grandparents were related in some way - cousins once removed maybe?! However, I'm now not sure!

My head is spinning with Holylands/Rileys/Tillsons and different generations!!

TreeGirl :)

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 30 November 15 07:23 GMT (UK) »
I've just had a look at the Desford baptisms and can confirm that it shows Jane Holyland christened  on 13 Feb 1810, daughter of William and Mary. I do wonder if this is correct though, as I can't see any other baptisms to William and Mary, but there are several of children of William and Hannah.

This is what I have for William & Hannah HOLYLAND...

http://www.parlonsrosbif.com/familytree/fam572.html

My Jane (married to Thomas) had Elizabeth TILLSON, who then married John RILEY, son of John RILEY and Hannah ADCOCK and relation to Thomas RILEY who married Ann HOLYLAND.

I had made the link that Jane and Ann were sisters and both married and moved to Stoney Stanton. That would mean that my 3xg grandparents were related in some way - cousins once removed maybe?! However, I'm now not sure!

My head is spinning with Holylands/Rileys/Tillsons and different generations!!

TreeGirl :)

Seems there was a concentration of Holylands in Stoney Stanton and also Desford.

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 01 April 16 10:13 BST (UK) »
With 3 generations of Simeon's in my Holyland family tree, I was wondering if there was a Jewish connection? My Grandad was named Herald David Holyland and my Grandma was always on about the fact his family was Jewish.

So far I've found no evidence of a Jewish connection in the Holyland family.

John.

Offline OttawaJohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 03:19 BST (UK) »
I have William Holyland and Mary Fulshaw in my tree. However, their offspring is John, born in Desford 1738 and is married to Mary Cooper in Nov 1762 in Hugglescote and Donnington.

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 06:44 BST (UK) »
I have William Holyland and Mary Fulshaw in my tree. However, their offspring is John, born in Desford 1738 and is married to Mary Cooper in Nov 1762 in Hugglescote and Donnington.

I have the same:

John HOLYLAND
1738–1782
Birth 1738 • Desford Leicestershire England
Death ABT 1782

Although as far as...

Fulshaw Holyland
1843–1919
Birth 1843 • Saint Margarets, Leicester, Leicestershire.
Death JUNE 1919 • Leicester, Leicestershire, England.

...I am related to this family in name only. Fulshaw adopted my 2 x GGF Simeon Norman around 1863, who became Simeon Norman Holyland. The Holyland name was adopted from that time onwards. There were two other Simeon Norman Holyland's after this one - my GGF and my Great Uncle (brother of my Grandad).
My Mum was Annette Olive Maud Holyland.

John.

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 06:57 BST (UK) »
I'll see your 3 Simeons and raise you another half a dozen. lol

In my family (no connection to the Holylands) Simeon is a very common name e.g, my uncle, grandfather and gt grandfather. My gt gt gt grandmother's brother who appears to have died in childhood is the first Simeon on my tree.

Simeon is the man in the temple when Joseph and Mary first take Jesus to the temple when days old. The name is in the new testament. It is a Jewish name but when you look at the names in the bible there's so many names taken from there now in common usage it may not mean a Jewish background.

GEDmatch M157477