Author Topic: The Holyland thread!  (Read 33625 times)

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
  • English conversation tutor in France.
    • View Profile
Re: The HOLYLAND thread!
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 08:00 BST (UK) »
I'll see your 3 Simeons and raise you another half a dozen. lol

In my family (no connection to the Holylands) Simeon is a very common name e.g, my uncle, grandfather and gt grandfather. My gt gt gt grandmother's brother who appears to have died in childhood is the first Simeon on my tree.

Simeon is the man in the temple when Joseph and Mary first take Jesus to the temple when days old. The name is in the new testament. It is a Jewish name but when you look at the names in the bible there's so many names taken from there now in common usage it may not mean a Jewish background.

hehehe I'll see you...

There seemed to be some interesting names back in the 1800's. My 2 Grt Grandfathers Simeon were mentioned as being Simon in their military records.
My Grandad Holyland's first names were Herald David. Nobody ever called him Herald, I just remember him as being David or "Day".

The only religious connection i've found so far on my tree, was on my Dad's side and the Nelson family. The brother of my 3 x Great Grandfather, Aaron Nelson, became a Mormon who emigrated to Utah in the US in the early 1860's.

I find this quite at odds with my Dad, who was most definately not religious.

John.
Nelson / Fisher - Leics (Leicester, Shepshed, Hathern, Loughborough & Hinckley). Notts. Lowdham. Warks. Nuneaton, Chilvers Coton.
Timson - Leics (Enderby & Croft).
Holyland [Name adopted 1863] - Leics (Leicester, Barrow Upon Soar & Rothley).
Doolan [Name adopted 1899] / Fisher / Munson / Pettican - Essex (Colchester & Layer de la Haye)
Briant - Brantôme & Périgueux, Dordogne (France)
Soulette - Saint Pons de Thomières, Hérault (France)

Offline OttawaJohn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 16:17 BST (UK) »
Quote from John in France.

Fulshaw Holyland
1843–1919
"Birth 1843 • Saint Margarets, Leicester, Leicestershire.
Death JUNE 1919 • Leicester, Leicestershire, England.

...I am related to this family in name only. Fulshaw adopted my 2 x GGF Simeon Norman around 1863, who became Simeon Norman Holyland. The Holyland name was adopted from that time onwards. There were two other Simeon Norman Holyland's after this one - my GGF and my Great Uncle (brother of my Grandad).
My Mum was Annette Olive Maud Holyland.

John."

[/i]
Have you any other connections to Parker, Richards or White in the area east of Leicester? Any connections to Goodman?

John

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 16:40 BST (UK) »
Quote from John in France.

Fulshaw Holyland
1843–1919
"Birth 1843 • Saint Margarets, Leicester, Leicestershire.
Death JUNE 1919 • Leicester, Leicestershire, England.

...I am related to this family in name only. Fulshaw adopted my 2 x GGF Simeon Norman around 1863, who became Simeon Norman Holyland. The Holyland name was adopted from that time onwards. There were two other Simeon Norman Holyland's after this one - my GGF and my Great Uncle (brother of my Grandad).
My Mum was Annette Olive Maud Holyland.

John."

[/i]
Have you any other connections to Parker, Richards or White in the area east of Leicester? Any connections to Goodman?

John

Kerenhappuch Parker
1819–1892
Birth 1819 • Leicestershire, England
Death JANUARY 1892 • Leicester, Leicestershire, England

Who was married to Fulshaw Holyland (1816-1877) - he was father of Fulshaw Jnr, who adopted my 2 x Grt Gdad.

There are Whites in other parts of my family, but not connected to the Holyland tree.

The only other name left that is connected is Goodman:

Mary Ann Goodman
1835–1913
Birth 1835 • Wigston, Leicestershire, England
Death JANUARY 1913 • Lutterworth, Leicestershire, England

Married to John Norman (1832-1883).

Not 100% certain about the Norman family connection here to my direct ancestor Jane Norman (who later married Fulshaw Jnr - as above).
If the Norman connection is right, John Norman would have been Jane's older brother.

I have their parents as being.

James Norman
1803–1859
Birth 1803 • Seagrave, Leicestershire, England
Death 1859 • Leicestershire, England

and

Frances Holyland or Holiland
1811–1864
Birth 30 JAN 1811 • Barsby or Ashby Folville, Leicestershire, England
Death OCTOBER 1864 • Leicester, Leicestershire, England

I suspect Frances was perhaps a cousin of Fulshaw's? It seems odd to have this surname connection considering that their daughter married someone else called Holyland!

Mary Ann Goodman's parents are down as being James & Ann Goodman on my tree.

HTH

John.

Nelson / Fisher - Leics (Leicester, Shepshed, Hathern, Loughborough & Hinckley). Notts. Lowdham. Warks. Nuneaton, Chilvers Coton.
Doolan [Name adopted 1899] / Fisher / Munson / Pettican - Essex (Colchester & Layer de la Haye)

Offline crepuscule

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 14 January 17 15:43 GMT (UK) »
I was intrigued to read this thread about the Hollyland family in Desford, for I have been trying to sort out my connections for years.

I am descended from an Eleanor Hollyland who married an Andrew Halford in 1733 by licence at Polesworth . This indicates a wealthy family, and Andrew was living in Wilne, Derbyshire at the time, and I believe that Eleanor was baptised at Fenny Drayton in 1722, her parents being John and Ann Holiland. Fenny Drayton is not far from Polesworth.

The interesting point here is that if my research is correct, Eleanor would have only been about age 12 at the time of marriage. The legal age for marriage at that time was age 12 for girls and age 14 for boys. There were no children that I can find for this marriage until 1737, but the family lived in Desford.

The Halfords were also prominent in Desford and two of descendants married into the Bailey family in Desford and were bakers, the Halfords being Millers. Eventually the Baileys also ran the pub and butchers and one was a school teacher . One branch of the Baileys went to Melton Mowbray and helped establish the Melton Mowbray Pork Pie.

My grandfather was a Bailey and ran a Bakers shop in Abbey Street, Nuneaton in the 1900's.

If anyone has any information on the early Holilands ( I do have copies of some of the Wills) I would be very interested.

Thanks

C

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 15:22 GMT (UK) »
I was intrigued to read this thread about the Hollyland family in Desford, for I have been trying to sort out my connections for years.

I am descended from an Eleanor Hollyland who married an Andrew Halford in 1733 by licence at Polesworth . This indicates a wealthy family, and Andrew was living in Wilne, Derbyshire at the time, and I believe that Eleanor was baptised at Fenny Drayton in 1722, her parents being John and Ann Holiland. Fenny Drayton is not far from Polesworth.

The interesting point here is that if my research is correct, Eleanor would have only been about age 12 at the time of marriage. The legal age for marriage at that time was age 12 for girls and age 14 for boys. There were no children that I can find for this marriage until 1737, but the family lived in Desford.

The Halfords were also prominent in Desford and two of descendants married into the Bailey family in Desford and were bakers, the Halfords being Millers. Eventually the Baileys also ran the pub and butchers and one was a school teacher . One branch of the Baileys went to Melton Mowbray and helped establish the Melton Mowbray Pork Pie.

My grandfather was a Bailey and ran a Bakers shop in Abbey Street, Nuneaton in the 1900's.

If anyone has any information on the early Holilands ( I do have copies of some of the Wills) I would be very interested.

Thanks

C

Last year I was in touch with Desford Parish Council, where a really helpful lady sent me a hand written family tree for Desford Holylands/Holilands. If you can PM me, I'll email it to you - if that'll be of help.

It was through this information that I realised that my Holylands are not from Desford. In fact it is a bit intriguing as I have a Frances Holiland (maiden name) who had a daughter Jane Norman. Both of these were recorded in Barsby and Jane ended up in Rothley Workhouse (in Mountsorrell). There she gave birth to a son in 1860 to father unknown. The son was called Simeon Norman, who is my Great  2 times Grandfather on my Mum's side.
Jane met a Fulshaw Holyland (who was from descended from the Desford Holylands/Holilands) and married him in Leicester in 1863. Janes son was then known as Simeon Norman Holyland. This is the first time this surname was recorded for my branch of the family. My Mum was a Holyland too.

So we have this odd situation of Jane being born to a Holiland/Holyland and then marrying a Holiland/Holyland.

From what I know she later left Fulshaw (there is a newpaper article in the 1870's that gives an impression that her relationship with Fulshaw and his family in Leicester was a drunken violent one). After a gap, Jane turns up in Nottingham - having left Simeon behind. She remarries and eventually dies in Nottingham Asylum in 1902... Simeon (who had been a soldier) passed away in the same year.

Let me know if I can help any further.

Regards,

John Nelson.
(Son of Annette Holyland).

Offline crepuscule

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 26 January 17 15:24 GMT (UK) »
John,

Many thanks.

I am trying to find out anything about John Holyland who I think was born about 1698,and was baptised in Desford on 1 Jan 1699 . His father was Henry, and his wife was Ann. I know that there are Henrys mentioned in some of the Wills at around that time, but to link them is obviously difficult.

I have to post this because I have not made enough posts to send you a PM yet.

You will know what my NdeP means.

C

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 26 January 17 15:34 GMT (UK) »
John,

Many thanks.

I am trying to find out anything about John Holyland who I think was born about 1698,and was baptised in Desford on 1 Jan 1699 . His father was Henry, and his wife was Ann. I know that there are Henrys mentioned in some of the Wills at around that time, but to link them is obviously difficult.

I have to post this because I have not made enough posts to send you a PM yet.

You will know what my NdeP means.

C

Hi,

Could you try contacting me at john.lr.nelson(at)gmail.com ?

Cheers,

John.

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 26 January 17 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Do you have any more details of your John? I have a John Holyland marrying in the market Bosworth area in the 1740s and have never been able to find a baptisms for him.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline crepuscule

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 26 January 17 18:11 GMT (UK) »
I Know very little about Holyland post 1720's. I will see what I can find

However I have a Charlotte Upton  1830-1894. Desford in my tree. There are some interesting stories about her children if that is of interest to you.

Regards

C