Author Topic: Trying to find information about Elizabeth Dewey  (Read 6294 times)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Trying to find information about Elizabeth Dewey
« on: Friday 22 July 11 14:45 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Dewey Born?( possibly 1795-1800) Parents?

She married Thomas Richard Royce who was often written in records as Richard Royce  in Exton in 1822 and they lived in Exton, she died I think in Exton

I have checked the Exton baptism PRs and Elizabeth was not baptised there and I can find no Dewey's baptised before 1812, also checked the marriages prior to 1812 and no Dewey's are married there( although on the later census there are several Dewey's who claim they are born prior to 1812 in Exton and would have 'normally' been baptised there if so)

I am hoping some kind soul will look for me who has  census access and /or other Rutalnd PRs

TIA

Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find information about Elizabeth Dewey
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 July 11 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Tia

Did find mention of Elizabeths birth but not her parents

She was born Stretton, Rutland, not Exton. Her surname is spelt
either Dewey or Duey so maybe thats why you cant find her??
You have to go with the fact that not everyone could spell in
those days and used to write what they heard. 

She was christened on 12th March 1793 at Stretton and died
about 1856
Elizabeth married Thomas Richard Royce on 26th November 1822
at Exton.
Thomas was christened on 10th February 1805 at Exton
He died about June 1867
They had about 5 children
Mary b 1825    d 1895
William b 1829  d 1899
Elizabeth b 1831
Jane b 1834
Julia  b 1837
all children born at Exton

Hope this helps

regards
Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 July 11 17:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you

It seems two children are 'missing'  the eldest one Ann and Henry who was born between Elizabeth and Jane....I wonder if the 1841 census shows them as Ann didn't marry until 1843

I wonder if there are any marriages in stretton of the Dewey surname?

These parents of Elizabeth have become a brickwall they really should be more considerate all this  moving around, being illiterate and not adding their name to records ;D
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 July 11 10:28 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Found them on the 1841 census and boy what a housefull. Only 15 of them as follows lol.

Richard Royce    aged 36   est year 1806
Elizabeth                     45                 1796
Ann                              15                 1826
Mary                             15                 1826
William                          12                 1829
Elizabeth                       10                 1831
Julia                                4                  1837
William Dewey               25                 1816
William Royce                25                  1816
Elizabeth  Royce             7                  1834
Richard Royce                 4                   1837
John Royce                     2                    1839
Jane Barsby                   15                   1826
Ann Barsby                     15                  1826

Living in Exton. 
Looks like two families living together and no wife for William
so maybe thats why he is living with his brother?
A couple of pairs of twins if the ages are correct.
Unforuntately the 1841 census didnt put alot of information
on and although they were all born in Rutland it doesnt tell
you where each individual was born i.e. village etc.

No Henry???? Maybe he had died by the 41 census?

Will try later to see if any Stretton marriages, busy today but
hope this is OK for you.

regards Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 July 11 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thank you, as you say a full house and in the  size of the house they lived (2 rooms) where on earth would they have all fitted? ....I think Henry may have been elsewhere on census night as he married, had nine children and died in 1912 and as there were several Royce families in Exton and it isn't a large place....or maybe he was visiting his Dewey grandparents....now that would be nice ( nice to dream) ::)

I know all the Royce's were born in Exton and from your previous information and some records I had looked at some while ago Stretton looks good for Elizabeth.

Thank you for your help and the offer to look at Stetton marrages it is very much appreciated

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 July 11 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Tia

I think you might have to wait awhile for the marriages at Stretton, Rutland.  I dont think they have been translated to the net yet.  Every parish record will eventualy be translated and put on the net but it would seem from what I can find that has not happened yet, so you might have to wait a little bit more. I am from Leeds and so most of my relatives  have had to wait for 4 years before the full blast of them all came on line.  Ancestry has acquired alot of information over the 4 years that I have been a member and I have now been able to find so much more now than 4 years ago.  Maybe a little bit more patience and put the same post on again in a year and you will find everything you want. The only thing is you could try and see if anyone can go to the Stretton records for you

regards   Sandymc

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 July 11 16:59 BST (UK) »
Oh well...Thank you for your help/advice/information, it is much appreciated