Author Topic: "The Welcome" Seaforth???  (Read 9954 times)

Offline tina morana

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: "The Welcome" Seaforth???
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 July 11 10:06 BST (UK) »
Not much help
1894 Gores/Kellys Directory
has John Eccles platelayer at The Welcome
Seaforth Vale.
A few doors down was the Salvation Army Barracks.

Tina
Cornthwaite, Morana, Pearce, Gaffney, Hazlehurst, Milburn
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
or  "All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline tina morana

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 July 11 10:10 BST (UK) »
H.C what a story in your family tree!
Good luck with your search. We all will help you.

Tina
or  "All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 July 11 10:10 BST (UK) »
Off the subject slightly.  I was once in a coach passing through Seaforth district and a nearby passenger said to her neighbour 'this must be where the Seaforth Highlanders come from'.
It is a long way from Scotland, but the place name came, I think, from the Gladstone family which produced WEG, famous prime minister, who built a house there.
There was an army barracks there for many years, but long gone now.
A

Offline Sheila Whittingham

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 July 11 10:19 BST (UK) »
Sorry scouseboy, dont know Seaforth, but visited my great grans birthplace on Bold Street,liverpool a few years ago.Does the Welcome still exist as I'd love a photo?( I do remember Z cars!!)
Tina..looks like the Welcome was no longer a home for single mums in the 1890's and looks like it may have been split up into different dwellings.
Thanks again folks.i had come to a real brick wall in this side of the family, but it looks like I have more to find.I believe St Thomas church was demolished in 1990 but i have found a photo which can go in my book.
Sheila.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Wynn.Wynne,Cowdrey,Cholerton,Stortz,Whittingham,Potter, Garnett,Flower,Gray,Given,Matthews,DeBruyne. Short.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 July 11 10:22 BST (UK) »
Ainslie, regarding Gladstone, My great grans father photographed the Gladstone family ,particularly Stuart Gladstone in his studio on Bold Street liverpool in 1861.I think Stuart started the british rifle association and was an officer in the Lancashir militia.

Wynn.Wynne,Cowdrey,Cholerton,Stortz,Whittingham,Potter, Garnett,Flower,Gray,Given,Matthews,DeBruyne. Short.

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 July 11 10:23 BST (UK) »
Off the subject slightly.  I was once in a coach passing through Seaforth district and a nearby passenger said to her neighbour 'this must be where the Seaforth Highlanders come from'.
It is a long way from Scotland, but the place name came, I think, from the Gladstone family which produced WEG, famous prime minister, who built a house there.
There was an army barracks there for many years, but long gone now.
A
   Yes. I am glad that you mentioned William Ewart Gladstone,   There is a community centre or a Church Hall  now standing near to the site of "the Welcome"  that has some inscription  mentioning Gladstone.

One of the docks near to Seaforth is named "The Gladstone Dock"

My grandfather enlisted at Seaforth Barracks during WW1
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 July 11 10:36 BST (UK) »
Many many thanks everyone, and a lot of info to explore and digest.
I was just typing a reply to the posts and suggested that the Welcome may have been a home for wayward women when the last post came through, and yes James Berner Stortz was my Great grans child.She came from middle class beginnings but had to make her own way in the world after her father went bankrupt and seemingly abandoned his wife and 8 children, 6 of who died before the age of 10.
My great gran had another illigitimate child in Manchester in 1884which died,  and she married my great grandfather in Rochdale in 1890.
Her childs supposed father is listed in the 1891 census as Mariner called James Berner, who had been married but childless for around 10 years and on the 1891 census the baby is listed as adopted son James B. (Shultz) obviously a mistake by the enumerator. As the Berners had no children of their own up to the 1911 census she must have given up the baby to them.
If anyone has any other thoughts on this matter I would love to hear as I have been researching this branch of my family for 10 years. :)
in case you don`t have it , but I presume you do...

James Berner Stortz  born 13th June 1889
babtised 14th July 1889 St Thomas ,Seaforth .
child of Ida Stortz
abode the Welcome
babtised by F Howell Tucker

was Ida born in England ?...was she Isabella Christina Stortz babtised 18th Nov 1859 St Peter ,Liverpool   father Philip Christian Stortz ?
allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline tina morana

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 23 July 11 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi I've asked my Bootle pals to have a squizz about The Welcome.

Tina
born Wavertree Liverpool

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 23 July 11 10:44 BST (UK) »
Annan,
There is some doubt about this as on the 1881 census she is listed in Manchester born liverpool and her birth cert. states 130 Bold Street, but on the 1891/01/1011 she lists herself as born Leige Belgium which is her mothers birthplace.
I vaguely remember my late father having a slight memory of an ancestor who was born on a ship coming from the continent, but as the ship was British and in british waters she was classed as English.
If this was my great Gran. then maybe she was born when her mother perhaps visited family in Belgium, but her German father wanted her brought up as British, so registered her birth in liverpool on their return.This is pure guesswork on my part though.Isabella Stortz, daughter of Philip Christian Stortz was her sister who died in 1866 and is buried in Flaybrick cemetery in Biirkenhead.