Author Topic: Knight family - Iping  (Read 2634 times)

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Knight family - Iping
« on: Saturday 23 July 11 10:09 BST (UK) »
According to an extracted LDS record, a Judith Knight was christened at Iping in 1779.  Her mother's name is also shown as Judith Knight.  As no father's name is given I am assuming that she was illegitimate, although I cannot be certain of this.

I am wondering whether anyone might know anything about the Knight family and how these 2 Judiths fit into it?

:)
Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Knight family - Iping
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 July 11 11:22 BST (UK) »
Judith (the mother married William Ayling) in July 1785.  They had a son William (a half sibling for Judith 1779) baptised Sept 1785.  He must have been on the way at the time of the marriage, perhaps even born, but awaiting that marriage in order to be baptised as legitimate.
The mother's year of birth when she married was given as c1761, so she would have been about 18 when her daughter Judith was born. 
I hilighted the above because there is another entry below which may also be her, but born c1756.

IGI batch number  C070671 could give you clues to the Knight family in Iping
An interesting note is that in 1756 there was another Judith Knight born, mother Judith but again no father named.   Could this be a family trait?      Roy G.

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 July 11 18:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Roy G,

Thank you very much for this information.

I was unaware that Judith had married William Ayling but I found their son, William Ayling junior, in the 1841 and 1861 census records, so this has been a great help.

As you suggested, I looked at the records in IGI batch number C070671.  It seems to contain the parish records for Iping and, whilst there were several Knights mentioned, I was unable to join the dots with the Judith Knight that you found, who was born in 1761.

Hopefully, someone will be able to provide more info.

:)

Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 July 11 19:18 BST (UK) »
There is no birth of a Judith registered in 1761, but that year of birth does appear against one of the IGI entries for her marriage to William Ayling.  IGI ref:  Film Number:  184220  Page Number: 570.   Ref number:  12652

That is why I suggested 1761 could be speculative and that the mother may in fact have been born in 1756 to another Judith Knight of Iping who was also unmarried.   
IGI ref:  Film Number:  446117      Page Number:  0144          Roy G

Offline ayling1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 October 16 04:22 BST (UK) »
From the Iping records (if this is any help):

25/07/1785 B G AYLING William S
B KNIGHT Judith S
W RANDALL Hannah
W COLLINS William

[Collins is witness in many other marriage so is likely churchwarden and not a friend or relation of the couple].

Baptisms:

No Ayling baptisms in Iping before 1705.

13/01/1762 William William Mary AYLING

09/09/1785 William William Judith AYLING

09/12/1810 William William Ann AYLING Born 20/07/1810 [the original says "Ayling, William, son born to William and Ann Ayling, who emigrated to New York. Child born 7/20/1806, chr 12/9/1810" likely meaning that father had left for the New World sometime between birth and baptisms. Hopefully he came back!]

Burial:

28/02/1793 AYLING Judith W/o William, pauper

04/12/1816 AYLING William 86 (father to William B. 1762?)

Chris Ayling

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 October 16 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hmm I have Knights from Iping to be precise, William Knight who appears to be the illegitimate child of Ann Knight bp 10 November 1776.  Any information about this family would be gratefully received.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline ayling1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 October 16 20:25 BST (UK) »
Iping baptisms:

19/05/1654 John John Not given KNIGHT
08/09/1656 Daniel John Not given KNIGHT
01/10/1659 Edward John Not given KNIGHT
03/05/1727 Mary Richard Not given KNIGHT
27/12/1732 Mary William Not given KNIGHT
10/11/1776 William Ann KNIGHT Natural Child
19/11/1779 Judith Judith KNIGHT Baseborn
03/09/1826 Ann Henry Ann KNIGHT Labourer from Stedham, Born 05/08/1826
23/10/1870 Albert William Susan KNIGHT Labourer
28/07/1872 Arthur Henry William Susan KNIGHT Brick Maker from Chithurst
26/04/1874 Walter John William Susan KNIGHT Brickmaker from Chithurst
25/06/1876 George
Samuel
William Susan KNIGHT Brickmaker from Chithurst
30/06/1876 Charles
Henry
John Elizabeth Ann KNIGHT Bricklayer from Borden
06/08/1876 Charles
Henry
John Elizabeth Ann KNIGHT Bricklayer from Borden
25/08/1878 Una Edith Charles Edith Jane KNIGHT Bricklayer from Borden, Chithurst,
Born 10/07/1878
24/08/1879 Lilian Jane George Clirnia KNIGHT Mason from Borden, Chithurst,
Born 28/07/1879
28/09/1879 Morris Charles Jane KNIGHT Mason from Borden, Chithurst,
Born 20/08/1879
05/10/1879 Herbert James William Susan KNIGHT Brickmaker from Chithurst, Born 27/08/1/79

Offline ayling1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 October 16 20:34 BST (UK) »
There is a William Knight listed as witness in many marriages starting in 1754-1775. Likely churchwarden. He and wife Elizabeth are witness to marriage of Elizabeth:

24/03/1761 B G COVER Charles S
B KNIGHT Elizabeth S
W KNIGHT Elizabeth
W KNIGHT William

I note:

30/05/1777 B G MOSELEY Henry S
B KNIGHT Ann S
W READ Isaac
W PARSON Thomas

and as above:

25/07/1785 B G AYLING William S
B KNIGHT Judith S
W RANDALL Hannah
W COLLINS William

I think it might be reasonable to guess given her age, and son's name, that Ann was the daughter of William & Elizabeth Knight.

William's burial:

31/05/1777 KNIGHT William

He was possibly the son of either William or Richard, but with no baptism recorded. I'll check Stedham as well.

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 17:48 BST (UK) »
OOOh, thank you.  Yes, it would make sense, I guess, for Ann to name her child after her father, I wonder if Judith and Ann were sisters out to upset their churchwarden father.  I guess the Ann marrying in 1777 is probably 'my girl' will investigate further.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)