Author Topic: Craig family, Belfast Antrim  (Read 5712 times)

Offline gcra

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Craig family, Belfast Antrim
« on: Sunday 24 July 11 17:24 BST (UK) »
I have been searching for relatives in Ireland for many years.  My husband's grandfather was William John Craig.  His parents were James Craig and Annie Murphy.  William John Craig was born 26 January 1876.  He was baptized 28 January 1876 by Rev. M.H. Cahill at St. Patrick's Catholic Church, Donegall Street, Belfast.  The Baptism certificate is No. 241.  Sponsors were:  James Craig and Sarah O'Neill.

I will attach a family photo showing the parents James Craig & Annie Murphy and their children, one of which must be William John.

If you have seen this photo or know of this family history, I would be so grateful if you would contact me.

Thanks.

gcra

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Craig family, Belfast Antrim
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 July 11 17:32 BST (UK) »
What sort of information are you looking for? details of James and Annie Murphy and their family? or details of William John Craig? have you found the family in census records, etc.?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gcra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 July 11 17:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply aghadowey.  I have searched and have some history.  William John left Ireland as a stowaway on a ship, at the age of 14, with another chap by the name of Dougal Bell.  Both ended up shipwrecked off the coast of the Magdalen Islands in eastern Canada.  William John settled there, married and raised a family and his grandson is my husband.  William John died and we have no record of any of his family back in Ireland.   I believe he wrote to a relative but not sure who it was.   Possibly a girl by with the last name of O'Neill.   William John had a sister called Rachel.  She married Michael O'Neill on 10 September 1887, at St. Patrick's Catholic Church, Belfast.  Rachel and Michael's daughter's name was Margaret (or Peggy) O'Neill.

It would be exciting to find living relatives in Ireland, and be able to write to them and get to know them.   My son is as anxious to to this as I am.  Sadly, as time passes, this will become more difficult.  Hopefully someone will recognize the photo. 

Thanks.  If you have any advice, please let me know. 

gcra

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 July 11 18:19 BST (UK) »
This isn't a forum for tracing living relatives but if you'd like older details of the family in Ireland let us know.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 July 11 18:47 BST (UK) »
some siblings to William from the extracted births on FamilySearch :

James Craig / 25 Sep 1864 / (Glenarm) Ref. 575
  Mary Craig / 04 Dec 1866 / (Glenarm) Ref. 598
  Rachel Craig / 29 Nov 1868 / (Glenarm) Ref. 577
  Daniel Craig / 02 Jun 1871 / (Belfast No. 2) Ref. 299
  [male] Craig / 28 Jan 1873 
  (William - 26 Jan 1876)
  Mary Ann Craig / 18 Dec 1879

Parents : James Craig & Ann Murphy

The placename generally refers to a registration sub-district, and the reference number to a register page. You can use the page reference to help identify the correct birth references on the BMD Index.

see : link

Presumably James and Ann married before the start of full civil records, so you would need to search for parish records for the marriage details.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 July 11 19:04 BST (UK) »
The LDS database also lists a birth for Willia John Craig 26 Jan.1876 (mother Ann) and address is 48 New Lodge Road, Belfast.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 July 11 19:13 BST (UK) »
1877 Belfast directory- matches with address on William John's birth certificate and gives father's occupation: Craig, James, tailor, 48 New Lodge Road
http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/alphanames1877c.htm

Not listed under name or address in 1880 directory.

Offline gcra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 July 11 23:16 BST (UK) »
I do believe that William John Craig is connected to the Craig family that lived on New Lodge Road.  Knowing this, is there a way to proceed...a way to contact any Craig that lived on New Lodge Road.  Surely there are living relatives that are connected.  I have no idea how to proceed.

Thanks.

gcra

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 July 11 23:51 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid you didn't understand the details I posted earlier.

According to LDS database for extracted birth details William John Craig was born 26 Jan.1876 at 48 New Lodge Road, Belfast. This birthdate is only 2 days off from the baptismal record you have (not uncommon to find variation between church and civil record) and the parents' names are also listed.
The 1877 directory (quite probably compiled and printed in 1876) shows James Craig, a tailor, at the same address. William John's birth certificate will list his father's occupation which should help confirm his father was indeed a tailor.

As I also mentioned earlier, this isn't a forum for tracing living relatives. The same concerns over privacy also mean that most recent records will not be available online. For example, the civil registeration index only goes up to 1921 for N.I. counties and the latest available census is 1911.