Author Topic: Criminal trial at Malmesbury Wilts  (Read 1822 times)

Offline pupetaxe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Criminal trial at Malmesbury Wilts
« on: Monday 25 July 11 02:29 BST (UK) »
My gr. grandfather was tried at Malmesbury for sheep stealing (oh, the shame).  I have been very fortunate in getting a copy of the witness depositions for trial from the Wiltshire Family Centre.  It made fantastic reading.
Does anyone know if a record of the trial might survive (judge's comments, detailed sentencing comments, etc.).  I have seen the criminal index but it raises some questions as to the place of trial and internment.  Details if necessary.
Thanks...pupetaxe

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Re: Criminal trial at Malmesbury Wilts
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 July 11 12:03 BST (UK) »
It looks as if you may have already been in contact with Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre (WSCH).   In the past I have done some research at the Centre both in Trowbridge and after the move to Chippenham.   They do have records of trials together with lists of prisoners at the various prisons.   The records available are for magistrates courts, Petty Sessions and Quarter Sessions, in ascending order of seriousness.   Also available are contemporary newspaper accounts of various trials normally Quarter Sessions.  If the offence was deemed serious enough the case would be heard at the twice yearly Assizes.   The Assizes records are held by the National Archives at http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk look for the section on Criminals in the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries.

The WSCH may be contacted by Tel 01249 705500, Fax 01249 705527, Internet address http://www.wshc.eu
I've always found the staff most helpful.

He may have been remanded at a lesser court to await trial at, for example, the next Quarter Session so could possibly have made more than one appearance.
Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline pupetaxe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 July 11 13:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave:
Thanks for that info.  I have a page titled "Prisoners On Bail Who Have Not Been In The Governor's Custody."  Among prisoner details it lists the Committing Magistrate, Date of Warrant, Offence as Charged, Before Whom Tried, Verdict, and finally, Sentence (no details).
The problem is that I found out that he was at first committed to Broadmoor Lunatic Asylum (problem is that Broadmoor didn't start to accept male patients until 1864 (Matthew was convicted in 1860).  He later sent to Portsea Prison (1861 Eng census).  He was released on Licence after two years.
It's the Broadmoor bit that confuses me.  I was hoping there would be judge's comments or details of the sentencing.
His co-villain (John Edward Pickett was released on "No Bill".  I'd like to know why.
Phil
PS I'm in Canada so it isn't to easy to get stuff from the WSHC--they copied and mailed the trial depositions.

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 July 11 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil,

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.   As I said I did a bit of research a while ago mainly for Aussies whose ancestors were deported.   At the time I lived close to Trowbridge and Chippenham but I moved to Spain 2 years ago so now I'm unable to access the information - although I'm not as far away as you are.   Was he tried at the Quarter Sessions or at the Assizes (unlikely)? 

What was his name and when was he tried etc?   I'm hoping to go to UK late next month, so possibly I could take a trip to Chippenham and have a look.

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire