Author Topic: margaret rudler  (Read 17782 times)

Offline Spetisbury

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: margaret rudler
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

Edward Summons is my 2x great uncle. The banns were read three times in 1860 for his proposed marriage to Margaret but I've never been able to find an actual marriage although they were living together using the surname Summons in 1861 census. He marries Anne McCarthy in 1863 and states he is a bachelor and Margaret Rudler marries John Christmas as a spinster using her maiden name in 1865 although subsequent censuses show the two children from her relationship with Edward Summons, Malvina and Henrietta, take their stepfather's name. Edward and Anne Summons emigrate to Australia where he dies and untimely death due to trapping his leg in in a chaff cutting machine.
Divorce was a prohibitive option for working class barge builders so who knows whether they actually married and subsequently "fibbed" on their later marriages but I think it safe to say Edward and Margaret were the parents of Malvinia/Malvina.

The name "Malvena" was subsequently used for a granddaughter of one of Edward's brothers. The Summons hail orginally from Great Bentley in Essex and several ended up in Australia - not always voluntarily!

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 23:40 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Spetisbury :)
Thank you for confirming info that we have been trying to give to lavender123.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Spetisbury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 23:54 BST (UK) »
Trish

I think that is a polite way of saying I've told you nothing new :)

On the off chance you have an interest in the Summons clan do you know anything about Edward Alfred Summons born 1906 in England and died in Albany, Perth, Western Australia in  1974. ???

I lose track of him after 1954 in Australia

Andy

Offline Rade

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 06:13 BST (UK) »
On the off chance you have an interest in the Summons clan do you know anything about Edward Alfred Summons born 1906 in England and died in Albany, Perth, Western Australia in  1974. ???
I lose track of him after 1954 in Australia
Andy

Andy, Thank you for your contribution. I am interested in the SUMMONS name. Is Edward Alfred SUMMONS related to the Edward SUMMONS who was with Margaret RUDLER? Do you know Edward Alfred SUMMONS' parents/grandparents names? I am descended from Isaac SUMMONS who arrived in Melbourne in 1842. Are you descended from the SUMMONS name?
Rade

Offline Rade

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 10:32 BST (UK) »
I have answered most of my own questions with help from Ancestry.
Edward Alfred SUMMONS grandparents are Everett & Fanny SUMMONS - Everett is a brother to Edward SUMMONS who was with Margaret RUDLER. So its all connected.
There are two Public Family Tress on Ancestry that show different parts of this SUMMONS family line.
Thus I have found another part of the SUMMONS family that emigrated to Australia - a good find.
Though the Ancestry trees show that Edward Alfred SUMMONS' daughter died back in England.

Offline Spetisbury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 15:35 BST (UK) »
Rade

I have a private tree on Ancestry showing the connection with Edward Alfred and Isaac. if you let me have your user name on Ancestry I'll send you an invite

Offline Rade

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 28 July 11 00:54 BST (UK) »
My user name is renegrade
I look forward to an invite
Thank you, Rade

Offline DaintyTrish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 19 September 11 20:37 BST (UK) »
Hi, First post on here and do forgive my not having read the whole of this thread if I am way off track...

My name is Trish
Looking though my family history there may be a link

My dad - Frederick Everitt Walker (He had a sister called Malvena and a brother called Henry)

My grandparents on my dad's side were:

Frederick Thomas Walker B. 11/1/1898 in East Ham and Malvena Summons B 22/3/1900 in Gilingham

Malvena is shown as living at this address and other Summons also came up in my search:

Malvena Aged 1
113 James Street Gilingham
Also in Household are:
Ernest Summons - Head [The form looks like ernest but her wedding cert states Everitt as father of bride]
May? Mary - Wife
May ? Aged 2

I also have a census showing Everitt Summons
8 Herbert Street Poplar
Also in the household are:
Fanny - Wife
Abraham Aged 19
Richard Thomas (Boarder aged 73?)
Mary 69
Annie 33
Edward Summons 11 (Head) I assume that's another flat in the House
 Elizabeth (Wife) 20
Elizabeth 2 months

Family folkore may be romanticised but I'm told grandad Walker got Grandma Malvena pregnant with my dad. They married against family wishes and there was even rumour she was jewish and he was a catholic and the family disowned her as it were. They ran pubs in the East End of London thereafter

Offline Rade

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 04:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish, You are correct there is a connection. You will see that this thread has contributions from Spetisbury (Andy) he has your family line re SUMMONS down to your father. His tree has all the connections for the census info you have identified in your post. Thus welcome to the SUMMONS family tree. Maybe Andy will assist you. I highly recommend that you read all this thread so you have all the details.
Rade