Author Topic: Chepstow Parish records - WALTERS  (Read 5673 times)

Offline DebbieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hepzibah Annie Burge 1887-1969
    • View Profile
Re: Chepstow Parish records - WALTERS
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 May 05 00:44 BST (UK) »
Hello again Jenny,

Was Cecelia's father a farmer on her marriage cert?

I've had another look at this site and I'm wondering if this could be his will?
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~monfamilies/Mon-Will-Index-W-Z.htm

Morgan Walter, Aberystruth, Mon, farmer, WI(2X)   
Ref: LL/1854/22

The date (1854) and occupation could be right but the parish of Aberystruth is a bit more worrying.  Did farmers move around much?

I'll find out how to get a copy - it may be worth it  ;)

Debbie

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 May 05 08:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie,

The plot thickens! Yes Cecelia's father was a farmer on her marriage certificate. I would be interested in seeing what the will had to say. I don't think that farmer's moved around much but I have had other farmers move a bit between census returns before so it is not completely unheard of  :)

Aberystruth is not all that far from Chepstow about and in fact the christenings of the children are in Newchurch which is about 6 miles from Chepstow itself (as far as I can tell)

Worth a look I reckon. I also found another possible record:

Morgan Walters married Hannah Gwillam 6 Jan 1791 Newchurch

I could not find the record you mentioned with Rachel Habots - could you forward the link to me? Do you think this might be an earlier marriage for the same fellow or a seperate man?

I am intruiged as to this will though - fingers crossed :)

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline DebbieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hepzibah Annie Burge 1887-1969
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 May 05 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny

On IGI I found this:
Morgan Walters married Rachel Watkins
21 FEB 1835   Aberystryth, Monmouth, England 
This looks a possibilty for the Morgan Walters who left the will in 1858. Could be a relation I suppose but there are a few Morgan Waters/Walters in the area around this time.

I'm sure I found the marriage of Morgan Waters and Rachel Habots here

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~monfamilies/grooms-wa-wh.html

but it seems to no longer show the dates  ???

It said Morgan Waters w so maybe he was widowed?

I have to admit I am getting more confused  ???

Debbie   :)

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 02 February 19 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Hey Debbie,

I realise it is a gazillion years since we posted about our Waters/Walters families, but I jave recently delved back into my Welsh ancestry and I think I have found more information that might help you with your tree (if you haven't already sorted it sometime in the last 13 or so years!! ;D)

I believe that Eliza Waters (b 1811) the daughter of Morgan & Rachel Waters of Newchurch died in her youth. I have found a burial for a 16 year old Eliza Waters on the 23rd May 1827 at Newchurch.

I suspect that your Eliza Waters (who married Charles Gee Jones in 1826 in Weston-Super-Mare, Somerset) was the daughter of John Waters and Betty Hodges of Chepstow.

Eliza Waters d of John Waters and Betty his wife was baptised 1st January 1806 at Chepstow

John Waters and Betty Hodges were married on 10th July 1798 at Chepstow, they had 6 children including Eliza

I have a copy of Eliza's marriage to Charles Jones and on it there is a Sarah Waters as a witness. This is most likely her elder sister Sarah Elizabeth Waters who was baptised on 21st August 1799. There is no Sarah Waters in Morgan & Rachel Waters' family. Charles & Eliza Jones also named one of their daughters Sarah Elizabeth Jones....perhaps after her aunt?

If you think this may be a match for your family, send me a PM with your e-mail and I will forward you the images from the parish registers.

I hope you are well, and still enjoying family history research  ;)

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline AntonyMJones

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 June 19 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen,

Your mention of Charles Gee-Jones caught my eye! I'm not sure if you know anything about him but google his name, look for Shipwrecked Mariners and you'll see a paint of him!!

I was also interested that you have a copy of his marriage certificate ...

Antony.

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 07 June 19 06:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Antony & welcome to Rootschat :)

I'm afraid I don't know much about Charles Gee Jones, as he is not part of my family, is he a a relative of yours? I have seen the portrait before though, pretty impressive isn't it?

I am more than happy to pass on the marriage record I have for Charles Jones and Eliza Waters, and the baptisms records in Chepstow for Eliza Waters and her siblings if they are of interest to you. Just flick me a PM with your e-mail address if you are keen.

Though you may already have those records....is this article your work?

http://www.wsmfhs.org.uk/research_forum_view.php?nID=222

Very cool if you did get to meet the Princess Royal through the connection ;)

Jenny