Author Topic: CRAN/WATT  (Read 5705 times)

Offline maclennan25

• RootsChat Senior
  • ancestors always seem to be just out of reach.....
    • View Profile
Re: CRAN/WATT
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 July 05 00:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Monique,

have you got Margaret Watt/Sutherland's death cert? - if you had that it would give you both of her parents names if known. you could also find out if she was a widow or still married, which would narrow down the search for her husbands death cert, which would then give you both of his parents names. - using this info, you should be able to find at least margaret with her parents in the 1841 census at  the freecen website: http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl .

alternatively, you could view their marriage cert. - as it was after 1855, it would have both sets of parents names and whether they were still alive or not. - if yes, being after 1855, you would be able to get their parents death certs too from scotland people and obtain their parents names if known by the person registering the death. therefore you would find a further 2 generations....

i hope this makes sense - it is after midnight here and i'm beginning to confuse myself!  ;D

kind regards,
Lorna.

Offline monique

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 October 05 04:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Lorna I dont have my great granmothers certificates . How can I get them.Would the Balletar Watt be related to the Kemnay Watt .I am related to the Malcolm of Kemnay.I have been in queensland.bye now Monique

Offline maclennan25

• RootsChat Senior
  • ancestors always seem to be just out of reach.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 October 05 07:39 BST (UK) »
hello monique,

the easiest way to find your great grandmothers marriage and death certificates is to use the scotlandspeople website. it is pay to view and costs £6 for 30 page credits, but as you have some of the info you need to find them already, you should have enough credits left over to search for other certificates too.

e.g if you enter the search criteria for their marriage (shown below) and view the results, this will cost 1 credit and then if you open the certificate to view the details, this will cost 5 credits. you can then . image and also print it if you want to. if you do this, it has cost a total of 6 credits from your 30 that you paid for.

KENNETH SUTHERLAND 
  Spouse:  MARGARET WATT 
  Marriage:  11 FEB 1860   Monymusk, Aberdeen, Scotland

also i mentioned in an earlier posting that the scotlandspeople website also have a possible match for margaret's death certificate:

Scotlandspeople have one match (death records) for margaret sutherland other surnames watt in cluny, aberdeen in 1911 aged 83 years.
i didnt look at the actual cert, so cant be sure it is the correct one. although age almost fits with age at 1881 census and area where they were living at time of 1881 census also matches...
if it is the correct one, it would give you her both her parents names and also her mothers maiden surname if known by person registering her death.

there is also 1 other match (death records) for margaret sutherland other surnames watt in aberdeen, but i didnt look for district because she died in 1953 aged 81 which would make her born c1872 snd obviously isnt the correct one.

again if you use the details for the one in 1911 aged 83 years, it should only cost you another 6 credits and hopefully have a lot more information to work with.

all this should only cost 12 credits in total out of your 30, leaving you a further 18 credits to do other searches.

i hope this helps you a little.

kind regards,
Lorna.

p.s sorry, i don't know if the Ballater and Kemnay Watts are connected and don't know how you could find out.

Offline Lorismith4

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 January 22 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Lorna,

Many thanks, but I do have those details. They are my line. It was Sarah Watt (3 at the census) who married Golderman - actually Goldsman - Cran (9 at the census).

I obtained a huge amount of data on the Watt side by stumbling across a 'distant cousin' in NZ. However the Cran side is proving a 'tough nut'. One of the oddest points is re George H. Cran being born in Canada. Another mountain to climb I suppose!!!  :(

I am on a number of Rootsweb mailing lists, but, so far, without too much luck. I had hoped to flush out another 'rellie' following the same line

Thanks again,
David Thomson

Hi there,

Whilst searching family tree I came across this post. George Herbert Cran is my Great Grandfather. He was born in Canada but his parents returned to Scotland when George was still a child. He married Isabella Whyte from Fraserburgh and they had 10 children. Happy to give you more information if need be, just get in touch.

Thanks.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 January 22 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Lorismith4. I see the last time orkboyz was active on Rootschat was on 21st May 2005. However, a notification of your post will have gone to his e-mail if it is still working.