Author Topic: Lydia(Stephens)Craghill.  (Read 2022 times)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Lydia(Stephens)Craghill.
« on: Wednesday 27 July 11 10:10 BST (UK) »
My relative Lydia Stephens married a Thomas Henry Craghill at Rhosymedre Denbighshire in 1865.Thereafter they lived in Shrewsbury Shropshire.Lydia died in 1911 and Thomas died in 1916.I'm a little curious that Lydia is mentioned as leaving money on her death to Thomas her husband.In those years I would have thought the opposite would have been true.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jeuel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lydia(Stephens)Craghill.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 10:59 BST (UK) »
Why?  She may have had an inheritance from her family or perhaps she had a job and had savings.  Quite a few women appear to be just wives on the census but actually did work.  Was it a lot of money?
Chowns in Buckinghamshire
Broad, Eplett & Pope in St Ervan/St Columb Major, Cornwall
Browning & Moore in Cambridge, St Andrew the Less
Emms, Mealing & Purvey in Cotswolds, Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham in Norfolk
Higho in London
Matthews & Nash in Whichford, Warwickshire
Smoothy, Willsher in Coggeshall & Chelmsford, Essex

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 12:01 BST (UK) »
Can't remember the exact year, but the Married Women's Property Act was in force from 18--.  Previously when a couple married, the man could say 'What's yours is mine, what's mine's me own' and that was the law.

By 1911, she could have been a millionaire in her own right and bequeathed the lot to the cats' home if she wanted to!

Vive la revolution  8)

Carol

OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 14:29 BST (UK) »
The amount concerned was less than £200,I've been through all close relatives who may have died,she had a brother Stephen Stephens who died in the Ruabon area of Denbighshire in 1902.He apparently didn't leave a Will.Looking again though she may have been left a small amount in the Will of a Mary Lewis who died in Oswestry Shropshire in 1886.Lydia wrongly listed as Sylvia Stephens was a Servant to her in Denbighshire in 1851 and is a Servant with the family in 1861 in Oswestry.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline Gerryq

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 November 20 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Just searching through some old family memorabilia in my loft and found an item of interest relating to L C Craghill, which seems to have been in my family a long, long time. Did a bit of research and think his name is Lloyd Clarke Craghill dob 16/5/1879. Parents were Thomas Henry & Lydia, and he had an older brother also called Thomas Henry, so I think I’m on the right thread here?!
Lloyd married Alice Bates in 1911 and had a son called Lloyd Henry dob 5/10/1914. Lloyd C passed away in 1954. Lloyd H married in 1946 (in Austria) and passed away in 2003 in Shrewsbury.
I don’t know of any direct descendents, so am at the end of the line with this.
Can anyone lead me to the right person?

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 November 20 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Gerry,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

RootsChat is meant for finding ancestors, rather than living relatives.

Personal details of any people known or thought to be living will be removed, in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses. So people here will be able to give you general tips and hints how to proceed, but not any concrete details.

You will also find more tips here:

Topic: Tracing Living Relatives
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,261434.0.html
and
Topic: Searching for living relatives and Rootschat
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,142443.0.html

Good luck,
Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Gerryq

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 November 20 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Trystan. Hopefully someone is able to point me in the right direction to resolve this intrigue!!
Thanks for the links too!

Regards,

Gerry

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Just searching through some old family memorabilia in my loft and found an item of interest relating to L C Craghill, which seems to have been in my family a long, long time. Did a bit of research and think his name is Lloyd Clarke Craghill dob 16/5/1879. Parents were Thomas Henry & Lydia, and he had an older brother also called Thomas Henry, so I think I’m on the right thread here?!
Lloyd married Alice Bates in 1911 and had a son called Lloyd Henry dob 5/10/1914. Lloyd C passed away in 1954. Lloyd H married in 1946 (in Austria) and passed away in 2003 in Shrewsbury.
I don’t know of any direct descendents, so am at the end of the line with this.
Can anyone lead me to the right person?

Welcome to Rootschat from me too.In line with what Trystan is saying and Rootschat policy,if you reply again to this again I will be able to contact you by way of a private message.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline Craggy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 18:42 GMT (UK) »
I am descended from Lydia and Thomas Henry Craghill. They were my great grandparents. My father had a cousin Lloyd Craghill who must be descended from the Lloyd Craghill in a later post. I'm not sure what I am allowed to post, but am so pleased to have found the information on this site.
I think there was a Susan Craghill who emigrated to America. She had a daughter Charlotte who was the mother of the actor Craig Hill of Whirly Birds fame.