Author Topic: McMahon in Acres, Kilanena / Feakle  (Read 6033 times)

Offline ehealy

• RootsChat Extra
  • If anybody would like to get in touch, please do
    • View Profile
McMahon in Acres, Kilanena / Feakle
« on: Thursday 28 July 11 16:41 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information of people researching the same family name in the general area of Kilanena. My  Great Grandfather John 'Jack' MCMAHON lived was born in ACRES townland about 1893 to Thomas McMahon (b. about 1850) and Margaret SULLIVAN? (b. about 1860). He married Annie BOLAND about 1928 and moved to Castledaly in Co. Galway soon afterwards. 
Thomas and Margaret also had the following children, about which I have no information;

Mary McMahon born about 1891
Patrick McMahon born about 1895
Martin McMahon born about 1897
Bridget McMahon born about 1899
Thomas McMahon born about 1901
Nora McMahon born about 1901 (twin?)
Michael McMahon born about 1905
Peter McMahon born about 1907

Most of the information I have comes from the 1901 and 1911 Census'. Any help would be appreciated at all!
Regards,
Eamon
Healy Gort Co. Galway
Fordham Ballinderreen Co. Galway
McMahon Kilanena Co. Clare
Boland Kilanena Co. Clare
Coughlan Kilmihill Co. Clare
Hanrahan Lisseycasey Co. Clare
Hanrahan Crusheen Co. Clare
Heath Crusheen Co. Clare

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: McMahon in Acres, Kilanena / Feakle
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 July 11 17:45 BST (UK) »
My  Great Grandfather John 'Jack' MCMAHON lived was born in ACRES townland about 1893 to Thomas McMahon (b. about 1850) and Margaret SULLIVAN? (b. about 1860). He married Annie BOLAND about 1928 and moved to Castledaly in Co. Galway soon afterwards. 

starting with the most recent item on your list... a possible marriage match for John and Annie from the BMD Index :

Name: Annie Boland
  Registration district:   Scarriff
  Event type: Marriage
  Quarter and year: Oct - Dec 1928
  Volume: 4 /   Page : 171

Name: John McMahon
  [same index references as Annie]

A marriage cert will show details such as date and place of marriage, residences for the bride & groom, father's names, occupation, names of witnesses etc.. After that, the next step would probably be to confirm Margaret's maiden name by searching for a birth cert for one of the children.

see :

Introduction to Irish Records

Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
  Details included on a Marriage Cert

Census links for reference :

1911 - McMahon, townland of Acres
   1901 - McMahon, townland of Acres   

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 July 11 18:04 BST (UK) »
McMahon is a very common surname in the area, so it's difficult to pick out good matches for the births of any of the children. The best clues relate to the twins Thomas and Nora, since they are listed on the 1911 census as about age 10, but not the 1911 return - so presumably born after census night, which was 31 March 1901.

Twins should usually be registered at the same time so should have the same, or consecutive page numbers in the register - and there is a possible match for them that might be worth following up :

Name: Thomas M'Mahon
  Registration district:   Tulla
  Event type: Birth
  Quarter and year: Oct-Dec 1901
  Volume: 4 / Page: 384

Name: Hanorah M'Mahon
  Registration district:   Tulla
  Event type: Birth
  Quarter and year: Oct-Dec 1901
  Volume: 4 / Page : 383

see : Details included on a Birth Cert

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline mcenfield

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 15:54 BST (UK) »
Hi, I too have looked into my grandfather's family as he was born in Acres, Michael Commins.  I currently believe his mother was Bridget McMahon who may have been the daughter of Peter and Bridget McMahon listed in both 1901 and 1911 Census but have not been able to verify this as birth/marraige records are not online. 

Offline Interested2

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 May 12 15:21 BST (UK) »

I am looking for any information of people researching the same family name in the general area of Kilanena. My  Great Grandfather John 'Jack' MCMAHON lived was born in ACRES townland about 1893 to Thomas McMahon (b. about 1850) and Margaret SULLIVAN? (b. about 1860). He married Annie BOLAND about 1928 and moved to Castledaly in Co. Galway soon afterwards. 
Thomas and Margaret also had the following children, about which I have no information;

Hi, I noticed the following in the Death Notices - it is the death of the son of the late Jack McMahon, Acres.  There are still sons of Jack McMahon alive so they might be able to help you.  You may be able to leave your number with Kilboy Funeral Home in Loughrea and they can contact the family on your behalf.  The following is the link -  http://www.rip.ie/death_notices_detail.asp?NoticeID=165046.  If this does not work, look up www.rip.ie and search for McMahon in Galway.  His name was Brendan and I think he died around the 29th of May 2012.  Good luck!

Offline ehealy

• RootsChat Extra
  • If anybody would like to get in touch, please do
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 March 18 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply, strangely I only received the notification for this recently. I have made great progress in researching this family since my last posting. mcenfield, I also believe there is a connection between your McMahons and mine - feel free to message me privately so I can share further info with you :)
Healy Gort Co. Galway
Fordham Ballinderreen Co. Galway
McMahon Kilanena Co. Clare
Boland Kilanena Co. Clare
Coughlan Kilmihill Co. Clare
Hanrahan Lisseycasey Co. Clare
Hanrahan Crusheen Co. Clare
Heath Crusheen Co. Clare