Author Topic: Jonas STONE of East Budleigh  (Read 3690 times)

Offline jannergray

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Jonas STONE of East Budleigh
« on: Thursday 28 July 11 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Does anyone out there have connections with the STONE or WEBBER families of East Budleigh?

I'm descended from Jonas STONE and Sarah BARRETT who married at East Budleigh in 1783. Their daughter Sarah STONE (born 1785, East Budleigh) married my 4x Gt Grandfather, William WEBBER at East Budleigh in 1807.

I can find no baptism for a Jonas STONE at East Budleigh circa 1760... and wonder if anyone else out there is researching this family???

If anyone connects to the STONE or WEBBER families, or can suggest possible parentage for Jonas STONE I'd be most grateful.

Best wishes,

Graham Naylor, Plymouth, UK

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
Re: Jonas STONE of East Budleigh
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 July 11 22:06 BST (UK) »
A Jonas STONE was baptised at East Budleigh 21 Mar 1717, son of Lazarus &  Elezabath. Another Jonas STONE was baptised there 14 Oct 1776, son of Jonas & Frances. Check http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/EastBudleigh/index.html for East Budleigh records.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline jannergray

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 19:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks DOB7 - I'd already found those baptisms... I was hoping someone else out there was also researching the family since "my" Jonas doesnt appear to originate at East Budleigh!

Regards

Graham

Offline Jacky###

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 11:37 BST (UK) »
In researching my family tree I have come across a Jonas Stone who was born in Trepassey, Newfoundland in Canada and then subsequently emigrated to East Budleigh, Devon.  He was the son of a Capt Jonas Stone and Miriam Tucker orginally from Topsham in Devon.  My ancestor was his brother George who was born in 1760.  I do not have information as to when his brother Jonas was born.  Google the Stone family of Lynche's River and you will find some info there.  Hope this helps

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 September 18 12:27 BST (UK) »
Good morning
Not my family but i think I've cracked it.
Jonas is buried 1.4.1827 at East Budleigh age 77 giving him a birth if 1750.

The Stones in East Budleigh are descended fro Lazarus (buried 28.7.1753) and Elizabeth Stone and their two sons Jonas bapt 17.3.1717 and Samuel 23.4.1722.
It is Samuel who is your Jonas's father.
He married Mary Criddick 28.7.1746 at Litttleham near Exmouth and their children are all baptised there.
Jane buried 14.1.1747
Jonas 20.4.1749
Samuel 11.6.1751 (who marries Jane Kelly back at East Budleigh 3.12.1772.
Lazarus 7.5.1753-13.5.1753
Mary 2.7.1754
Eliza Branscomb 10.12.1758
Lazarus 2.10.1762.

Brother Jonas senior 1717-1784 marries Frances Bryce 10.2.1773 and leaves a PCC Will 1784 mentioning his wife Frances ,sister Elizabeth,sister Susanna and a brother who he does not name.
So it seems there are other children for Lazarus and Elizabeth not recorded.
Elizabeth buried 22.2.1764
Lazarus did leave a Will but I'm not sure if has survived.

What do you think?

Ciderdrinker

Offline Jacky###

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 September 18 18:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply and sorry that it has taken me a while to respond.

There must have been two Jonas Stone's in East Budleigh at the same time!  My Jonas Stone was the son of Capt Jonas Stone and Meriam Tucker who emigrated to Trepassey in Canada from Topsham in Devon.  Their son Jonas was born in Canada and then subsequently emigrated to East Budleigh in Devon. His other siblings were Laurence (who also emigrated to England as he is listed on a ship from St Johns, NFL, Canada to Dartmouth in 1802), George (my ancestor who stayed in Canada), Elizabeth, Thomas and Jonas (who emigrated to East Budleigh, Devon).

Thank you for your help though and it really is strange to think of two Jonas Stone's in East Budleigh at the same time.

Offline StoneDG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Songwriter, singer, carpenter, from Cape Breton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 January 20 14:58 GMT (UK) »
In regards to the will online re a Jonas Stone written in 1776 and registered in 1784 or so - he indeed was married to a Frances Bryce, but he was a younger man - aboard a Royal Navy ship. If you read the text - he had no children at the time, thus leaving everything to his wife and siblings. He was likely the son of Samuel and Mary Criddick, born in 1749. By the early 1780s he had two sons both named Jonas - one died at birth and the other was born after his death - in 1782. That Jonas lived and died in the 1800s. The names of the siblings he left money to all are in line with the children of Samuel and Mary, they being a Samuel, Mary and Elizabeth. The only one is a Susanna that doesn't appear in any records. The name Jonas Stone was a very popular name in Devon, as was Samuel at that time. I descend from Capt Jonas at Newfoundland. Researchers hired by my uncle many years ago pinned down Jonas as being a son of Lazarus and Elizabeth Spare, as was Samuel, born 1717 and 1722. There was also a William Stone who was a mariner for the Folletts at Topsham and Exeter who was in Newfoundland at the time of Capt Jonas. This is all very interesting and perplexing at the same time. The wonderful thing about Genealogy...
Stones and their kin from East Budleigh, Topsham, Littleham and area - Webber, Newman, Davy, Motty, Harvey etc

Offline Jacky###

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 January 20 16:27 GMT (UK) »
I too descend from Capt Jonas at Newfoundland, so we are distantly related.  My line of ancestry is Capt Jonas Stone, his son George who had a son John Henry, who in turn had a daughter Elizabeth (Lizzie).  Lizzie had a son, Joseph Jonas Patrick Meeghan who emigrated to England in 1919, and is my grandfather, who I remember very well.  He always said that I was the double of his mother Lizzie. My father was John Christopher Meeghan. 

Capt Jonas sailed on small sloops transporting cargoes for the Follet Bros between Spain, Portugal and Newfoundland before he settled in Newfoundland.  The Follett Bros business was based in Topsham in Devon, England. Just to show that history can go full circle my sister moved to Exeter in Devon some 35 years ago. Exeter is just a few short miles up river from Topsham! Small world!

Offline StoneDG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Songwriter, singer, carpenter, from Cape Breton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 January 20 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jacky - I have been in touch with people in your line through John Blake and his wife. ve pics that they sent me of Joseph Jonas - I sent them all the info I found here of their kids who all died from TB other than him...We have found more connections now through Topsham and East Budleigh - DNA testing proved the connection - it is great. I have a tree on Ancestry which is up to date with all the new connections...We are having another Stone reunion this summer on the 220th year since George and family arrived from Newfoundland in July of 1800...DS
Stones and their kin from East Budleigh, Topsham, Littleham and area - Webber, Newman, Davy, Motty, Harvey etc