Author Topic: Jonas STONE of East Budleigh  (Read 3755 times)

Offline Patrickjlee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jonas STONE of East Budleigh
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 September 20 02:58 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
Just came across this. Graham Naylor (OP) - we are I believe 4th cousins. William Webber (married to Sarah Stone) is also my 4th great grandfather (?). His daughter Maria Webber married William Lee, from Ireland, who settled in Liverpool, England. William is my direct ancestor, my great-great-great grandfather. My father David Lee immigrated to the US in the 1940s as a young boy with his parents John Lee and Mary (nee Lyons) Lee.
I know I am connected to a few Naylor's on Ancestry. I don't know much beyond this about my Webber/Stone connection, but from what I've read the Stone name is very common in Devon.
Would love to learn more! Just getting into my family history.
Pat Lee

Offline HeatherConnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 March 21 07:40 GMT (UK) »
No information on your original question, but very likely have a connection to your Sarah Barrett if you want to compare notes.
Adam, Allan, Anderson, Barrett, Berry, Blues, Booth, Brodie, Brough, Bruce, Bullions, Butchart, Caithness, Cameron, Cargill, Cochrane, Craig, Doig, Black, Falconer, Fotheringham, Gavine, Gray, Lilburn, Lynn, Martin, McBay, McDonald, McKechnie, Melville, Menzies, Moir, Mudie, Murray, Myles, Pike, Proudfoot, Roberts, Rollo, Roy, Rutherford, Sandiman, Scott, Stephen, Stewart, Taylor, Thornton, Whyte.

Offline Wairen

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 December 23 13:16 GMT (UK) »
So, what's the consensus on Jonas Stone and Sarah Barrett? I'm also descended from these two.

Ancestry.com trees and others have him as the son of Capt. Jonas Stone and Meriam Tucker, but I cannot find any evidence to confirm this. Sarah Barrett is also invariably given as the daughter of Tobias and Frances Barrett who was baptized on 6 Mar 1742 in East Budleigh, but this would make her ~64 when her daughter Meriam was born in 1804. It seems more likely that she is the Sarah Barret who was baptized on 1 Jul 1759 in East Budleigh (daughter of John and Mary and sister of the Sarah baptized on 6 Oct 1757 who is presumably the same Sarah buried on 23 Jul 1758).

As for Jonas, is there any evidence he was born in Trepassey, Newfoundland in the 1750s and moved to East Budleigh in the late 1800s, or that he was the son of Capt. Jonas and Meriam? He is listed as a mariner on the marriage certificate of his son John Stone in 1880 and is also listed on a 1799 pay record for HMS Pompee with his wife Sarah and five children.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.