Author Topic: NSW historic marriage certificates with blanks  (Read 27352 times)

Offline dated connections

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: NSW historic marriage certificates with blanks
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 08 January 12 03:09 GMT (UK) »

Thank you so much for all that detailed information majm.  This information is of vital importance to the uninitiated NSW based rootschatters like myself.  It is like a handbook that will hopefully help you pass through an obvious dead end.  It is so full of information in the various posts and so easy to understand that I have spent some time absorbing it, and as I have all the ministers and places where the various  members of the family got married 160 years ago, I will now get in touch with their
archivists and try my luck there.  This is something that I probably wouldnt have thought of and thought that the transcriber and the BDM was the "b" all and "end" all of certificate information.  Glad  that you put us all straight.  I am happy   :D that your love of family history has not waned in all those years, and that you are happy to help others find their way.  All the best, Camelot :) ;) ::)
]

Offline John Bell

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 08 January 12 06:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi JM,

Thank you for your posts regarding marriage blanks and would ask you assistance as to where you suggest I try next in locating a copy of the original. Trying descendants has been fruitless so far.
I received an 1881 Marriage Cert from the NSW Registry that did not contain Birthplace or Fathers names or occupations of either couple.
I wrote to the Lismore Presbyterian Church mentioned and they passed it to their Archive being the Ferguson Memorial Library.
Unfortunately the archivist's reply was 'No surviving register known to exist for this Period/Minister/Place'.

John.
BELL :Coatbridge, Sct & West Aust
WALLIS :Lamberhurst, Ticehurst, Frant. Ssx & West Aust
SENYARD :London.
VEAZEY :London
PARMENTER :Acton Suffolk & London & West Aust

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 09 January 12 01:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

Several decades ago the Uniting Church was formed from the amalgamation of several denominations, including the Methodists and the Presbyterians.   

Perhaps you have already considered contacting the local family history groups to enquire if they had transcribed the local Presbyterian records when they were available back before or during the amalgamation?
http://www.richhistory.org.au/index.htm   (formed in 1936)
http://www.richhistory.org.au/indexes.htm

Alternatively, have you considered contacting the Archivists at the Uniting Church Synod of NSW? http://nsw.uca.org.au/church/archives.htm 

Also, I am forming the view that there are volunteers actively transcribing various of the NSW rural churches registers and uploading them to the new familysearch website that is replacing the IGI website.... So perhaps it is worthwhile for you to regularly check the following link also. 

https://www.familysearch.org/

I can assure you that while I have personal experience of being told by responsible and sincere lay and ordained church members that their particular church registers are apparently lost, I have direct experience at locating several registers in their own holdings.  For example, simply misplaced in their fireproof cabinets, on a shelf above or below where the person looked, or in one particular instance, as a doorstop.  (Yes, it was holding open the inner door, fortunately it was not a register that was used to hold open the main door .... however, it [the main door's door stop] was a significant book that did contain historical records for that particular district's local church .... I refrain from noting the denomination and the NSW rural town).   

I have no personal experience of any of the holdings of any of the denominations in the Lismore area, but I do encourage you to persist, and urge you to re-read the initial posts I made at the beginning of this thread. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline John Bell

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 09 January 12 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi JM,

Thank you for the advice, I had not thought of the Uniting Church avenue, I will give that tree a shake.

Many thanks.
John
BELL :Coatbridge, Sct & West Aust
WALLIS :Lamberhurst, Ticehurst, Frant. Ssx & West Aust
SENYARD :London.
VEAZEY :London
PARMENTER :Acton Suffolk & London & West Aust

Offline natjb

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 11 January 12 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi MAJM,
I have just read through all previous postings on this  subject.I have a marriage transcript for the year 1852, at St Mary's Catherdral Sydney. Would they still have the original cert? or would it have  been lost when  the church burnt down? which I believe happened.
Thanks natjb

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 12 January 12 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi natjb,

I would suggest that your transcript would include the NSW BDM reference numbers, and the main feature of those numbers is the letter “V” indicating it is an Early Church Record dating back prior to the establishment of the NSW BDM Registrar General’s Office.    This means that it pre-dates civil registration of births, deaths, marriages in NSW, so a different approach will be needed.  I presume you are seeking the names of the parents of the bride and the groom, so that you can link the couple to their earlier generations.   That will be a tad more difficult if you need to rely just on any mc from the Early Church Records. 

There are, of course, other ways to research the couple’s forebears, apart from relying on the ECRs.  There’s the fantastic treasure trove of the TROVE newspapers, digitised at this link: http://trove.nla.gov.au It is a fully keyword searchable resource, freely available and it does not even require any registration, but is part of the National Library of Australia’s online resources.   An earlier online series of newspapers is the NLA’s ferguson papers.  These are not keyword searchable, so patience is needed when using that resource.  Here is that link http://www.nla.gov.au/ferg/about/index.html There are also many offline resources, physically located at various public libraries, including the NSW State Library, and various family history groups. 

As to the actual transcript for the 1852 mc at St Marys Cathedral, Sydney, have you contacted their archivist officer to enquire for further details?  Here is the link :  http://www.sydneycatholic.org/about/archives.shtml

Better still, if you were to start a new topic here on the Australian Board at RChat, and provide the information cited on that mc and also include details of what else you know/suspect about the couple, I feel sure that there will be plenty of RChatters willing to help.  I certainly will try to help further, for RChat is all about helping each other with our own family history searchings. Here’s the link to the NSW Resources Board here at RChat, there’s many many links to the wide range of topics that address many issues that can at times be brickwall material. http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,369703.0.html And here is a fantastic link giving some tips on requesting a lookup  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,368728.0.html

And, a belated Welcome to RChat from me. 

Many cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline natjb

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 12 January 12 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks JM for advice on further links. I will give them ago.
Thanks again natjb

Offline malsie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 15 April 12 01:11 BST (UK) »
 :D What a relief & great help, ta JM
malsie

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 20 April 12 06:29 BST (UK) »
Hmmmm, I sometimes just browse the posts and I picked this one up.  Lots of useful information.  I had the experience some years ago where I had two certificates in my hand:  both were for the same event and certified by the NSW BDM but one was typed and one was a photograph of the entry.  The typed one was missing much detail.  I approached the NSW BDM on the basis of "could I please have the photographic version of certificates I have paid for which have been typed" on the basis of the information which has possibly not been transcribed, and received an extremely unhelpful reply. How do we stand with issues like this?  J

P.S.  Am also hearing a lot of "why are the certificates so expensive" on Lost Cousins compared to the cost of certificates in other countries.