Author Topic: Trayton COLLISON - Brighton Birth Lookup  (Read 3489 times)

Offline puellaanimae85

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Trayton COLLISON - Brighton Birth Lookup
« on: Friday 29 July 11 16:15 BST (UK) »
We are looking for birth details of Trayton Collison, which according to the 1851 census, was born in Brighton in 1806.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks,

Sarah and Jenny

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Trayton COLLISON - Brighton Birth Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 July 11 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi
I just want a bit of verification for I only have the Genes index of the 1851 census, and that has no Trayton Collison born Brighton 1806 on it.  It does however have a Frayton Collison born Brighton 1838 and now living in Wandsworth.
Working on the 1838 theory using FreeBMD, I come up with Craven Collison, but he was born Battle.

Perhaps you could tell us where Trayton actually was in 1851 so that those listed above can be eliminated from the inquiry.   Roy G

Offline Mort29

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 July 11 20:45 BST (UK) »
1851 census of Hastings St Clement - HO107/Piece: 1635 Folio: 333 Page: 12 @ 4 Lennex / Lonnox Street

Trayton Collison 45 Head of Household born Sussex, Brighton: a Basket Maker
Mary Ann Collison 40 Wife born Kent, Bouton ...
Thomas Collison 19 son born Sussex, Lewes: Basket Maker
Hannah Collison 18 dau Brighton ditto
Henry Collison 15 son Sussex, 'Alceston'?
Mary Collison 11 dau Sussex, Westfield
Serena Collison 2 dau  Hastings
James Collison 3 Months old Son born Hastings

Marriage was on 22 Feb 1829 in Ninfield, Sussex

groom's name Trayton Collison
bride's name Mary Ann Branchett

1841 census of Westfield - HO107 / Piece 1105 / Book: 6 Civil Parish: Westfield Folio: 8 Page: 8

Traiton Colson (sic) 35 Basket Maker (Travellers?)
Mary Colson 30
Hannah Colson 10
Thomas Colson 8
Henry Colson 6

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 July 11 21:26 BST (UK) »
Well Done Mort29, on my copy of the Genes index for 1851, the entire family appear to have been missed off.
Serena, James and other later born children are still together with their mother on the 1861, but those born earlier are no longer with the family nor is Trayton.  He died in the Hastings district in the June quarter of 1860.   (GRO Deaths ref    Hastings    2b   15)

As you say, the profession of basket maker and the various birth locations of the children does suggest a travelling existence, perhaps even living in a woodland abode.  There is a probability therefore that Trayton senior was not baptised at all which means P***85 may have some difficulty discovering who Trayton's actual parents were.  A family living a forest existence in 1806 may have been lax about baptisms or the social prejudices of the time might make parish priests unwilling to perform such a ceremony

The 1861 census by the way adds credence to the Collison family being travellers, with the following living in a tent during a fair at Hampton Wick.   Trayton Collison 23 , Ruth Collison 22,  Absalom Collison 10 Mo 

Roy G
p.s.  Alceston = Alciston

Offline L

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 July 11 11:21 BST (UK) »
You might like to consider this baptism:

06 February 1825  at Winchelsea

Drayton Collison, son of Hannah, an adult baptism, Abode Brighton

Lesley
Catt,Ades,Hook,Ashdown,Cobby,Harvey
Census information is Crown Copyright:www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline puellaanimae85

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 July 11 22:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your help! You have helped us to start moving further back with this line - finding the family on the 1841 census was great because we had drawn a blank and knowing that the 1825 christening was an adult one has confirmed that we were on the right track. Now we just need to work out who Trayton's father was!

Many thanks,

Sarah and Jenny

Offline Tony Martin

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 February 18 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Dear Sarah and Jenny,

I recently started research on the Collison family. My mother was Dora Martin ( nee Watts) daughter of Louisa Watts ( nee Collison) daughter of Absolom Collison ( born 1860) brother or son of Trayton Collison (born 1838) son of Trayton Collison ( born 1806 in Brighton)- i think. I found your posts fascinating. I have photos of Louisa, my grandmother, who lived in Tenterden, Folkestone and Hawkinge. I also remember her sister Ruth. Could you help with some of my dates and names?

Regards
Tony