Author Topic: WESTLAKE Richard wife Catherine  (Read 16485 times)

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WESTLAKE Richard wife Catherine
« on: Friday 29 July 11 23:14 BST (UK) »
I have found

Westlake Richard farmer of 14 acres
with wife
Catherine on 1851 cenus living in Grindhill, Bratton Clovelly in 1851

His birth is recorded as Northlew Devon and Catherine born about 1786 in Were Gifford

with them is Richard's brother John Westlake aged 68 an Ag Lab born 1783 in Northlew Devon.

I am searching for their Baptisms and Catherine's last name and  believe they were married in about 1810 Northlew Devon

Richard's father I believe is John and mother Grace and I am searching for their marriage as well.

Cheran ;)

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Westlake Richard wife Catherine
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 July 11 10:46 BST (UK) »
There's only one family I can find with sons Richard and John Westlake living Northlew. Their parents were John Westlake and Grace Glass. John's Christening is 1783 which fits the date you have for him but Richard's Christening is 1793 and as the 1851 census gives his age as 61 I think it's the correct record.

I can't find anything about Richards marriage to Catherine other than the date you gave but I wouldn't take that record as definite because normally brides married in their own parish. That's not to say it's wrong but maybe you should look around Were Gifford. Catherine appears to be a few years older than Richard I wonder if that might help you find her birth.

On the 1841census they have two children living with them Charity age 15 and James age 8 I wonder if they had other children?

Margaret

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 July 11 16:17 BST (UK) »
What Children do you have for Richard/Catherine?
Is the reason you think they Married c 1810 that they had a Child born c 1811?

There is this Marriage on the IGI;
Richard WESTLAKE/Catherine WESTLAKE, 27 Dec 1818, Okehampton, Devon

Familysearch Pilot has this;
Catharine WESTLAKE, Christened 13 July 1786, Weare Giffard, Devon
Mother CATHARINE Westlake

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 July 11 16:27 BST (UK) »
Child Chrisitened Okehampton, Devon, to a RICHARD/CATHERINE;
MARY 30 June 1821

1861 Census JAMES Westlake born c 1832, Bratton Clovelly, Devon, is described as the Son of Richard/Catherine.
RG9/1465/22/1
1851 Census he is a Servant in the Horn Household in Sourton, Devon
1851 Census CHARITY Westlake is born c 1827, Oakhampton, Devon and is a Servant in Bratton, Clovelly
Cant find Christenings for Charity/James or any other Children to Richard/Catherine other than the possible Mary above.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 July 11 23:28 BST (UK) »
There's only one family I can find with sons Richard and John Westlake living Northlew. Their parents were John Westlake and Grace Glass. John's Christening is 1783 which fits the date you have for him but Richard's Christening is 1793 and as the 1851 census gives his age as 61 I think it's the correct record.

I can't find anything about Richards marriage to Catherine other than the date you gave but I wouldn't take that record as definite because normally brides married in their own parish. That's not to say it's wrong but maybe you should look around Were Gifford. Catherine appears to be a few years older than Richard I wonder if that might help you find her birth.

On the 1841census they have two children living with them Charity age 15 and James age 8 I wonder if they had other children?

Margaret

Margaret

Thanks for taking the time to look this for me... 

Other siblings I have for Richard and John are George bap 25 Feb 1786, William 14 July 1788,

then James in 13 November 1791, Anne, 1 November 1795 and Simon 1798...  I wondered if they all in the same family with John Westlake and Grace Glass....

I have found William on 1851 census with wife Susanna in at Boasley Cottage Bratton Clovely and looks like this is very close to Grindhill..... (2 daughter with William and Sussana... Grace aged 22 dressmaker and Sussana Gerry a widow aged 30..  would it be possible to place them in 1841 census?

Thanks for your help!!!

Cheran :D :D

Is it possible to see if t

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: WESTLAKE Richard wife Catherine
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 July 11 09:39 BST (UK) »

It is the same family that I found. All the names and dates correlate.

On the 1841 William and Susanna are living at the same address with 4 children. William age 9, Ann age 20, Susanna age 15 and Grace age 13.

Margaret

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 July 11 22:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Margaret & Trish ....

Now to find any marriage and deaths for all the Children

eg  Susanna listed as a widow in 1851 so looks like she married a "Gerry"

Your info is a big help....

Cheran 8)

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 July 11 23:37 BST (UK) »

On the 1841 William and Susanna are living at the same address with 4 children. William age 9, Ann age 20, Susanna age 15 and Grace age 13.

Margaret

Would it be possible to find a marriage for Sussana Westlake to a John Gerrey/Gerry....  I have found a death a John Gerrey 31 June 1847 Bratton Clovelly, which would seem to fit the time line.

Cheran :)

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 August 11 00:34 BST (UK) »

Margaret

Couple of deaths I think I have found

Richard Westlake.....26 January 1863 B. Clovelly age 69
Catherine "         .....2 Sept 1864       B. Clovelly  age 79

William Westlake..... 18 Feb 1867       B. Clovelly age 80
Sussana "          .....  24 June 1867     B. Clovelly age 74

James  Westlake .....  27 May 1876    Grindhill Farm age 44

then I found

a Catherine Westlake ...16 February 1875  Grindhill  age 20 m
   Louisa Ann             ... 23 April 1891       Grindhill  age 20
   Jane                      .... 7 April 1898        Grindhill  age 67

Could James of Catherine & Richard have married a Jane?  and had 2 girls before his death?

Also found

John Westlake    3 May 1858..... Bratton Clovelly age 75  who would fit timeline of John recorded with Richard and Catherine on the 1851 census...

Wondered what your opinion's were?

Cheran :)