Author Topic: WESTLAKE Richard wife Catherine  (Read 16482 times)

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: WESTLAKE Richard wife Catherine
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 11 August 12 09:25 BST (UK) »
Hi I have a Matilda Westlake who married my gg uncle 1863 Marylebone and her father William (wife stated as Elizabeth in 1851 census) was born in Milverton Somerset ..... so watching this topic to see what turns up.
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 11 August 12 10:45 BST (UK) »
Joe

Most of the research I have been doing is from the Westlake fasmly from Bratton Clovelly and Oakhampton in Devon...  I haven't had anyone from Somerset as yet....

Cheran :D

Offline VCairns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cheran,

I know this post was some written some time ago but I thought I would like to clear some things up and also assist anyone following this post.

I can confirm than the mother of Simons Westlake was Grace Kimber. 

I have seen images of the North Lew parish records (not just the transcript)

On the marriage to Grace Glass on 29 Mar 1767 John was noted as a Sojourner and his occupation was a Carpenter.  John was able to sign his name and he had a distrinctive W.  Sadly Grace was buried on 14 Apr 1774, after the birth or their daughter Grace.

John then married Mary Gale on 16 Dec 1774.  Once again his occupation was Carpenter and signed the certificate with the same distinctive W.

John Westlake who married Grace Kimber on 31 Mar 1783 was noted as a Husbandman and was unable to sign his name.   This clearly shows the two John's were different and since Grace Glass was deceased by the time Simon was born his mother must have been Grace Kimber.

Our John was living with Simon during the 1841 Census and his age was 80 (b. 1761), however the transcriber rounded the adults up / down 5 years.  However his burial recond (7 Oct 1847) gives his as as 92 (b. 1755).

There were 3 x John's baptised around this time frame

John Westlake, son of John & Jane baptised 10 Mar 1755.  This John must have been a sickly child as he had a private baptism.  Sadly was buried 2 Apr 1755.

John Westlake, son of Robert & Mary baptised 5 Dec 1755.  Sadly this John was buried 9 Sep 1759.  The family was from Inwardleigh.

This leaves the last candident and this is who I believe is the father of Simon Westlake.  John Westlake son of John Westlake & Susanna was baptised 23 Jan 1757.  I will now call this John, John Jnr and his father John Snr

There is no marriage record in North Lew for a John & Susanna so this is as far as I can confidently go.

A baptism of note was for George Westlake son of John baptised 26 December 1762.  On the certificate it is stated that he was from Gorsen.  This is the first mention I have located that mentions the property Gorsen which is where Simon & his family was living in 1841.  I believe the father John on this certificate is John Snr.

This I find interesting as on the marriage certificate of John Jnr he is noted as a Husbandman.  My understanding is that Husbandman did not actually own the land.  On the birth certificate of Simon's son George he is listed as a Yeoman living at Gorson, Northlew.  This means Simon owned the property.  This is also confirmed by the Northlew Tithe Apportonment (1843) that lists Simon as the occupier and owner of several portions of land known as Gorson.  Simon is a Yeoman on the baptism record of his oldest son Simon John in 1832.  So here is the interesting part.  John Snr was living in Gorson around 1762.  As far as I can tell John Jnr never owned the land but Simon did in 1843.  Does this mean they were originally tenant farmers and at some stage Simon was able to purchase the land or did he inherit it?  I thought that this was unusual as John Jnr was alive and Simons older brothrs were still alive so he should not have been given it as inheritance?.  If any one has any information that can clear this up I would love to hear from you.

Regards
Vicki

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 17 January 20 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vicki

thanks for the info.... Will have a good look over the next day or so...  as I had a quick read it seems to confirm how I have in my data base thanks for the extra bits....

I just wanted to let you know that a memorial stone has been erected in the Yankalilla Cemetery for Simon.... and there is a possibility of trying to have a get together in May this year will keep you posted....

I will send you a photo and more details via email later today...

Cheran 8)

PS  I also have George son of John Jnr married to a Grace Kimber 4 January 1813   who was the daughter of John Kimber & Susannah Squire

Offline VCairns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 18 January 20 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cheran,

My sister & I visited Yanakalilla cemetary last year and located Simon's grave site.  It turns out his daughter in law Martha (George's wife) is buried next to Simon.  I would love to know how Simons memorial was done as I would like to arrange to do one for Martha as well.

On the marriage certificate for George Westlake & Grace Kimber they were married "with parents consent" which I suspect was because they are first cousins (both were of age).  However I have been able to prove that John Kimber's sister was Grace Kimber (Simon's mum). 

In the 1851 census Simon's daughter Elizabeth was living with a Grace family so I wonder if this was because they were family?. 

This damn geneology, you work out one piece of the puzzle and another one turns up.

Keep me in touch with Simon's memorial I am sure I can convince my sister to come with me.

Regards
Vicki

Offline VCairns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 18 January 20 11:20 GMT (UK) »
I should have read my last message before sending.

I was meant to say the I have not been able to prove that George Westlake & Grace Kimber were first cousins.  Also Elizabeth was living with a Squire family not Grace.

Sorry
Vicki

Offline AngieWT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 04 July 20 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone
John Westlake was my fourth great grandfather. I am descended through his son George and Wife Grace Kimber, my great great grandfather William Westlake was born at Beaworthy, probably at Wigdon Mill. William married Eliza Dart and my great grandmother was Sarah Dart Westlake. Sarah gave all her sons the Westlake name. My grandfather was George Westlake - Toms (as Sarah married Albert Toms a Blacksmith from Torrington) Theirs was a sad story (for another time) My father was James Albert Toms who again resumed the Westlake surname and our branch is now Westlake-Toms. We are a largish brood and strangely scattered around the world! Must be a Westlake thing. I began to research the Westlake and Toms families with my late father about 40 years ago, but latterly have had more time. I am so delighted to hear that other descendants also want to know more and hopefully we can piece together our family history. I now live in Gloucestershire U.K

Offline AngieWT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 17 June 22 09:58 BST (UK) »
In reply to V Cairns
I can support that the information you gave on 15th January, some years ago now. A couple of weeks ago I managed to locate ‘Gorsen’ as spelt by the 1841 enumerator. The farm is actually ‘Gourson’  as pronounced by locals as Goosen!
I am trying to find out who lives there now and if they have any records of the property. Your research is very thorough and detailed. Thank You. Angela