Author Topic: Kirk Knowe House & Watson's Land (COMPLETED)  (Read 7573 times)

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kirk Knowe House & Watson's Land (COMPLETED)
« on: Saturday 30 July 11 06:32 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
I was wondering if there is anyone out there might have some local historic knowledge of the Wishaw/Cambusnethan area and can help me, firstly with a location of Kirk Knowe House...I know it was round about the old parish church at Cambusnethan but is it still there and does anyone have a photo of it?  When Wm Watson (a well known local spirit merchant) passed away in 1910 he was resident there.

Janet Watson (previously Gibb and nee Jack) died at Watson's Land.  From what I can determine based on census data this was located in the enumeration district 18 in 1881 which also comprised Braes Court, Brick Work Houses, Clelland Rd, Distillery Court, Distillery House, Glagow Rd, Low Main St, North End Cross and West End Cross.  I know roughly where this area must be on a recent map but can anyone be a bit more specific?  Would it be a large parcel of land or just a few houses?

With thanks, Sage.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Kirk Knowe House & Watson's Land
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 July 11 07:07 BST (UK) »
hi Sage  :)

many times i have found that xxxxxx's land turns out to be a tenement type of
building

don't know if you have seen this ?

http://gordonhighlanders.carolynmorrisey.com/CasualtylistApril1917.htm

"lieut. john lawrence craig watson , son of the late mr and mrs william watson ,
  of kirk-knowe house , wishaw lanarkshire"

and -

http://www.misterwhat.co.uk/company/1327026-kirkknowe-house-assessment-unit-wishaw

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 July 11 10:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Sage,

I can't find any mention of Watson's Land in the area you specify, there was a Watson's Land in Cambusnethan and one in Waterloo, neither of which is in the Low Main St area. There was also a Watsonsmid and a Watsonfoot but don't know which part of the town they were in.  Are you sure you have the right area? According to the burial records she died in Cambusnethan, not Wishaw.
A "Land" was a "land o' houses" a tenement building or a row of 1 or 2 roomed cottages.

As for Kirk Knowe House, I don't think it has survived but leave that with me. It was in Cambusnethan Street, round about the numbers 209 - 219. It was still there in 1925 when it was occupied by Mrs A. Watson. (Is there a connection to Newmachar in Aberdeenshire with these Watsons?).

Cemetery records for the Private walled burial ground, between the old churchyard and the municipal cemetery at Cam'nethan.

Plot 446 & 447.

JANET WATSON. Housewife, Cambusnethan, aged 57 years, married.
Parents - George Jack and Jane Hill.
Interred in 447 on 12th November 1872.

AGNES WATSON. Cambusnethan, aged 2 weeks.
Parents - William Watson and Agnes Craig.
Interred in 446 on 5th February 1887.

WILLIAM WATSON. Spirit merchant, Cambusnethan, aged 79 years, married.
Parents - William Watson and Janet Lindsay.
Interred in 446 on 25th October 1910.

Lodger
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 July 11 11:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Ev and Lodger,

Thanks both for your input.  Lodger you were correct...the death cert for Janet Watson definitely says Watson's Land, Cambusnethan not Wishaw and that was in 1872.  Quite possibly Wishaw had a Watson's Land also.  I have found some reference to Kirk Knowe House on scotek.net site which suggests that it is somewhere up near the Horse and Anchor but on the other side of the road.

The Kirk Knowe House Assessment Unit is at 239 Cambusnethan St...I think it's known as the Cambusnethan Residential Children's House.  However, I don't know if it's the original Kirk Knowe House.

The Mrs A. Watson you refer to Lodger is Agnes (Wm's second wife) nee Craig and yes, there was a connection to Aberdeenshire...Wm purchased an estate there called Rainnieshill.  I've located the 1881 census for Wm and he was living at 220 Cambusnethan St (1st Floor).  He was described as  a general merchant with 33 acres of land.  In 1891 he was still at this address and then in 1901 he was resident at Kirk Knowe.  So it appears that the family were always at Cambusnethan!

Ev, the John Watson you refer to who died in the First World War was the son of Wm and Agnes Watson...thanks for that.  There has been quite a bit of information put on the internet regarding this family.  The two sons of Wm Watson and his first wife Janet Jack settled in Australia and a good deal of research has been done by families over there. 

Thanks again for the help,

Sage.

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 July 11 14:26 BST (UK) »
Sage,
There is an entry in the 1925 street directory for Wishaw that reads -  "W.J. Watson, (beneficiary, Cambusnethan Street) Gancyhillock, Newmachar, Aberdeenshire".

Lodger
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Devlin - Co Tyrone.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 July 11 16:32 BST (UK) »
There is also a modern residential complex

http://www.carehome.co.uk/carehome.cfm/searchazref/20006044KIRB

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 July 11 16:38 BST (UK) »
1901 census

William Watson 69
William Currie 30
Andrew Currie 3
William Currie Juner 2
Bella Currie 28
Fanny Keliebar 24

Address: Kirk Knowe Cambusnethan

If you view the entry before and after on SP it may establish the actual location

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 July 11 18:57 BST (UK) »
There is also a modern residential complex

http://www.carehome.co.uk/carehome.cfm/searchazref/20006044KIRB

This is no where near Kirk Knowe House.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Devlin - Co Tyrone.

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 July 11 22:24 BST (UK) »

The Kirk Knowe House Assessment Unit is at 239 Cambusnethan St...I think it's known as the Cambusnethan Residential Children's House.  However, I don't know if it's the original Kirk Knowe House.

Sage, I went along there today and the C/nethan childrens House is directly opposite the Horse & Anchor. It is a modern building, quite large and spread out over a fair-sized area, enclosed within what looks like the original garden wall of Kirk Knowe, complete with Victorian gateposts.
I've driven past there thousands of times and used to have a friend who lived just a few hundred yards along the street but I've never paid attention to that place before. The strange thing is, there is a small dead-end lane next to it with  a "Land of houses" going down the right-hand side. If you go into this website and click the map to enlarge,
http://www.housepricespy.com/scotland/wishaw/cambusnethan-street/flat-1-194-ML2-8PW.html
The Horse & Anchor is to the left of Moss Rd, the Childrens House is right accross the street and then the little lane, which is part of Cam'nethan St, runs down the right side. I bet you anything that this building is Watson's Land, it's old enough.

Also went in to the cemetery and found a HUGE obelisk for the Watsons, it must be the tallest monument in the entire cemetery. I took some pictures, so if you send me your email address by pm I'll let you have them.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Devlin - Co Tyrone.