Author Topic: Kirk Knowe House & Watson's Land (COMPLETED)  (Read 7597 times)

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kirk Knowe House & Watson's Land
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 August 11 07:33 BST (UK) »
Just for the sake of clarification...most of the census searches I do are off ancestry but I got the 1901 census return for Wm Watson off S/P and it reads down the page (29) starting at 228 Cambusnethan then 226, 224 & 222 and then Kirk Knowe

Thanks very much for your input Lodger...very much appreciated.

Sage.

Offline cliffm

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Kirk Knowe House & Watson's Land (COMPLETED)
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 July 12 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I know this is an old post but the location of the modern children's home (opposite the 'Horse and Anchor' pub) was until approximately 15 years ago the location of a large Victorian house which was also used as a children's home. My better half (who is a local) said it was known to the local children only as 'The big house'...

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 July 12 22:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks CliffM,

That information supports Lodger's theory on the position of Kirk Knowe.  I haven't investigated further but perhaps I could seek out an old photograph if it was still there just as recently as that.  Thank you  :)

Offline JulesT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 20 July 12 07:58 BST (UK) »
I lived in Cambusnethan in the 70's and back then it was as cliffm says a large victorian house. 

I remember it being known as "the children's home" but don't know if there were still children in it during this time.  There was a large front garden and the house sat quite far back from the front entrance...at least that's what I remember!  For me it held an air of mystery.  Such a shame that they demolish these buildings.

Jules

Offline patrickm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 May 16 17:54 BST (UK) »
Maybe late in the day but I remember The House you are referring to.  It was opposite the pub now known as the Horse and Anchor (or Arse and honker depending on how much you had to drink)  In my time it was called the Kirke Knowe Vaults and it was rumoured that there was a tunnel connecting the house and the pub.  probably a good idea to prevent robbery after closing tinme

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 05:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Patrick and welcome to Rootschat,
Thanks for your thoughts on Kirk Knowe House.  Wm Watson was a spirit merchant but I don't know if he ever owned the Horse and Anchor (or whatever it might have been called back then) but the idea that it was possible to slip out of the premises via a secret tunnel is intriguing.  It would save you being skittled by a horse and cart while you staggered home across the road too!  ;D

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 01 December 18 01:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sage, are you still around? I've lost your email address!

Are you still interested in the Watson family? i have just discovered that my great-grandfather was related to William's second wife Agnes Craig, through her mother Agnes Gilchrist.
what is even more interesting is that when William died in 1910 he left £74,663 which in today's money is £8,541,695.
I just hope he spelled my name right in his will  ;D ;D ;D

Are you still chasing Arnotts' ?
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Kirk Knowe House & Watson's Land
« Reply #16 on: Friday 07 December 18 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lodger,

Yes, I'm still around...not doing as much research as I'd like to but keeping my hand in.  I'll endeavour to unearth your email address, if not will send you a PM. Yes, I still dabble in 'ARMIT' research...in the case of Wm Watson, his first wife Janet Jack had been formerly married to John Gibb and that is another line I research. I have researched the two sons that Janet Jack had when married to Wm Watson and have some records pertaining to the children of Wm Watson and Agnes Craig.  Quite a bit has been done online in respect to this family. 

Wm Watson must have been an astute businessman as his Will suggests...his two sons to Janet Jack secured enough funds to get them to Australia!

Sage.