Author Topic: Father's profession ?  (Read 5987 times)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Father's profession ?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 August 11 10:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish,

I think I came across the NEASMITH death, but was uncertain because it was out of the Greenwich area (although Shoreditch isn't far).

The PARSELL connection is all news to me, thanks !   :)

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 August 11 10:57 BST (UK) »
At least I found something you didnt have ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 August 11 11:12 BST (UK) »
Wow !  That Robert William Parsell was a character !  He was married 3 times.  He married Elizabeth Sarah in Nov 1851, then when she died in 1861, he married again !  :)

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 August 11 11:21 BST (UK) »
A Wild Colonial Boy as the saying goes ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline CarmSA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 01 December 12 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish & Nick,

I am researching the NESMITH's of Port Elizabeth, South Africa.  My g-grandmother was Rebecca Rubina Nesmith.  We only had a few NESMITH's in Port Elizabeth, her fathers name was George who married a Mary-Ann, his occupation was a Stevedore/Boatman.  I have a Robert George Nesmith, d. 1902, aged 55, buried at the South End Cemetery, Port Elizabeth and his gravestone shows he was born in Greenwich, England. 

Do you think this could possibly be the grandson mentioned above in the thread?

Do you know of any resources that I could use to find out how this NESMITH ended up in Port Elizabeth?

Many thanks
Carmen

Offline Nick29

• Deceased Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 01 December 12 11:09 GMT (UK) »
I have a Robert George Nesmith in my tree, son of George William Nesmith b.1818, and Elizabeth Sarah Forrest 1814-1861.  Robert George was born in Greenwich on 18 May 1848, which fits in well with the Robert George who died in 1902 aged 55.  I've not been able to trace Robert George after 1851, aged3.  This is the Robert George in the baptism certificate in post #1.  He was the brother-in-law of my great-great-uncle.

Many of the people in this area of Greenwich were seafaring men - maybe the sons of some of them decided to take to the high seas ?

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline Nick29

• Deceased Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 01 December 12 11:44 GMT (UK) »
I've turned up a record which may be worthy of more research....

There is a Robert W Parsell living in Greenwich in 1861 (his wife had died in April), and with him is a young man called Robert G Parcell, aged 13, born in Greenwich.   Did Robert George take his step-father's name ?  Robert W Parcell describes himself as being born in 'New South Wales'.  I have a hunch that Robert W was a bit of a 'gold-digger', based on the number of marriages in such a short time.   RG 9/398, Folio 7, Page 7. 

In 1891 I've found a Robert W Parcell living as an 'inmate' of an institution in Erith, Kent.  Could his step-son have emigrated to South Africa and reverted to his original name after the two fell out ? RG12/638, Folio 26, Page 48

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline CarmSA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 01 December 12 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much Nick.  :) If this is the case and this is my g-g-grandfather then that would mean that sometime between 1861 and 1878 he immigrated to SA.  Now its to try and find out when and how...thanks again for the info.