Author Topic: just out of interest  (Read 9779 times)

Offline blackangel

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
just out of interest
« on: Saturday 31 July 10 21:27 BST (UK) »
hi
my auntie visited jersey last week and she was given an id card of a maud elizabeth otter...she had to try and find info on her but when she came home it got her thinking who maud really was so i offered to help.......i need to try find info on her her name is maud elizabeth otter nee shaw,born 16 april 1890 newcastle,staff,england think she had 3 children 2 being sons and she was gassed in 1944 biberach germany......i`v tried to find info but have come up with nothing so i`m hoping someone might have a bit of info for me this is all the info i have(sorry its not much)
thanks kirsty

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: just out of interest
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 July 10 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,

It looks as though she was registered as Elizabeth Maud:

Births (FreeBMD)

Elizabeth Maud Shaw    JunQ  1890    Newcastle.L      6b   65

Marriage?

Elizabeth M Shaw  SepQ 1910  Newcastle.L      6b   99

Groom:   Matthew Otter

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline blackangel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 July 10 21:48 BST (UK) »
thank you so much for that if anyone else has info on them ie children etc would be very greatfull  ;D

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 July 10 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,

PM to follow.

Nanny Jan

Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Grandma Pat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 October 10 00:01 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Maud Otter was my grandmother. My father was Henry Norman Otter and he had a brother who I never met as he died sometime after the war. There was also a sister named Maud who also died approx. 30 years ago.
I did not ever have the chance to meet my grandmother as she did die in Biberach, but she was not gassed, she died through illness. She was living with her husband, Mathew, in Jersey and was interned at Biberach as all non-Jersey born were deported when the island was occupied.
My father joined the army at the outbreak of the war and I do have a letter that informed my father of the death of Elizabeth.

Offline blackangel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 October 10 19:25 BST (UK) »
thank you so much for that info.......i was looking up about ur grandmother for my auntie as she went to jersey and went on a tour and she had to try and find out as much info about the person they was given but when she got home she wanted to find out more as she found ur grandmother really interesting....so thank you for getting intouch with me  :)
i wonder why the tour people told my auntie elizabeth was gassed...i think its also on their website?

Offline Grandma Pat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 October 10 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hi, glad I could throw a bit more light on this. My father did talk a bit about it. Unfortunatly it is only now that I have lost both of my parents and there is nobody left on my father's side, that I know of, that I wish I had asked more questions.
I have given my daughter all of the letters, documentation etc that I have come across and we are hoping to put it all together one day. It does make a very interesting story.
I do believe that on some of these tours they do not always get their facts right. I would like the opportunity to put this right with them but I do not know who it could be. The mention of her being gassed was what prompted me to reply to your query.
However, it is quite satisfying to know that her story still goes on.

Offline Scanner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Maud (Shaw) Otter
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 July 11 13:32 BST (UK) »
Just seen posts re Elizabeth Maud Otter, nee Shaw, who lived in Gory Bay, Jersey, during the German Occupation and was deported to Biberach and died there in 1944. Her husband was Matthew Otter, who returned from Biberach, lived in Staffs for awhile with relatives and then returned to Jersey with his younger son Harry Otter. My father was the elder brother of Harry, his name was Frederick William Otter, and they had a sister, Maud Otter. My father, Frederick William Otter, died in 1950 at the age of 39, having spent 24 years in the RAF.
I am very interested to learn more of your family as it looks as if we might be related. I have family photographs as well as correspondence from Biberach via the Red Cross.
Lesley Anne.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Maud Otter
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 July 11 13:40 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,471861.msg3317208.html

Hi Lesley Anne, welcome to Rootschat!

The thread that I think you mean is the one above, you can click on it and it will take you to the right page.

I will ask a Moderator to move your post there, as this is the Food thread, so you may not get the attention you need!!!

The people who posted on the original thread were Blackangel and Grandma Pat.  Once you have posted three times on this site (just reply to this post twice), you will be able to send a personal message to Blackangel, all you need to do is click on the green scroll underneath her name on the other thread.

good luck!
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex