Author Topic: Possible Regiment - if this is achievable?  (Read 1505 times)

Offline PabloC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Possible Regiment - if this is achievable?
« on: Monday 01 August 11 08:20 BST (UK) »
Afternoon all,  :)

I have something of a ‘needle in the haystack’ military based enquiry, and am looking for any suggestions/assistance on progressing it, if this is possible…

I am trying to determine the regiment that my x 4 Great grandfather Thomas Glue (1786-1853) may have served in, with very little information. I am therefore trying to narrow down the potential search field, using reasonable assumptions i.e. regiments by geographical location etc.

He was born in Rogate Sussex, and this was where he remained, seemingly until the birth of his first child Caroline Glew in Launceston, Cornwall (Also, in records as Harriet Caroline Bray Glue – Bray being her mother’s surname, her parents not having married at this point).

He is stated as being a soldier on Caroline’s birth record, and six months later Thomas and Ann (Bray) were married at St. Mary Magdelane’s, Lew Trenchard, Devon, with Thomas again stating he was a soldier.

The family returned to Rogate after this where the remainder of their children were baptised, and it is our opinion that Ann may have returned to her place of birth to have their first child, due to Thomas being away on service – marrying on his return.

I have looked at the various local regiments, with a view to looking at muster rolls etc, however, there were a few that he may have served with theoretically, some more likely than others admittedly. These regiments can be found listed on the following post:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,545728.0.html

So, I am wondering if anyone might have any suggestions on solving this seemingly impossible task, or know of any little-known militia databases etc c. 1800-1820 ish?

Any information much appreciated!

Regards

Paul
Arnold - Liverpool
Bennett-Co. Down, Ireland
Clisham-Liverpool/Ireland
Cox - Shropshire/Flintshire
Cuddy - Liverpool/Ireland
Dunne - Co. Laois, Ireland
Glue -Sussex
Guest - Staffordshire
Hughes - Co.Laios, Ireland
Jordan - Co.Down, Ireland
Lancaster - Cumberland
Manion - Liverpool/Galway, Ireland
Pearson - Cumberland
Vallely - Co.Louth, Ireland

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Regiment - if this is achievable?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 August 11 09:38 BST (UK) »
If your man served in the regular army, as opposed to the Militia, then his papers should be available either at the National Archives or online at Findmypast if you have a subscription - see:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/britisharmysoldierupto1913.htm?WT.lp=rg-3110

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 August 11 10:02 BST (UK) »
I have looked at the various local regiments, with a view to looking at muster rolls etc...

Hi Paul

There was no such thing as a local regiment until permanent depots were created in 1873. You have to ignore the geographical names linked with the regiments in this time.

You should check Findmypast, but he is not showing on the NA Catalogue which has (supposedly) all service records for men discharged before 1854. You can also check the 19th Century medal rolls on Ancestry. And you can check the regimental BMDs on FindMyPast.

If you have no success you should check the church records around your sightings in case another entry gives a regiment. Can you also give dates to the two sightings of him as a soldier.

Other Glues - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/searchresults.asp?SearchInit=0&txtsearchterm=glue&txtfirstdate=&txtlastdate=&txtrestriction=wo&hdnsorttype=Reference&image1.x=0&image1.y=0

Ken

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 August 11 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Again

If you search the NA for Glew there is a record for a Josiah born abt 1826

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=-3985852&CATLN=7&Highlight=%2CGLEW&accessmethod=0

If it is on the NA it should be on FindMyPast.

Ken

Offline PabloC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 August 11 11:58 BST (UK) »
Morning Ken,

Thanks. Yes, I too have trawled the available resources i.e. Ancestry, Find My Past etc. to no avail.

Thanks also for the information relating to the date at which point regiments were organised regionally.

I meant to give some more additional information actually, so here it is in date order:

Baptism

Caroline Glew, bap. 18 Jan 1816 in Launceston St Mary Magdalene, residence: Workhouse (Launceston being her mother Thomasin’s birth place).

EDIT: Additional Baptism

Thomas Bray Glew, 16 March 1817, Rogate, Sussex

Marriage

Thomas Glew & Thomasina Bray, 5th Nov 1816, Lew Trenchard, Devon

Thomas is stated as being a soldier in each of these records, although in the baptism of their son in 1817, they are back in Rogate, Sussex and he is an agricultural labourer.

Note: So, I guess I'm looking at a possible discharge date somewhere between Nov 1816 and after March 1817.

EDIT: Have also just discovered that a return for the Sussex Militia from 1828 has been obtained from Chichester RO which lists Thomas Glue, Labourer, aged 42, as exempt from Militia due to having seven children...

Regards

Paul
Arnold - Liverpool
Bennett-Co. Down, Ireland
Clisham-Liverpool/Ireland
Cox - Shropshire/Flintshire
Cuddy - Liverpool/Ireland
Dunne - Co. Laois, Ireland
Glue -Sussex
Guest - Staffordshire
Hughes - Co.Laios, Ireland
Jordan - Co.Down, Ireland