Author Topic: sky remote interference  (Read 8033 times)

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Re: sky remote interference
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray... thanks for your thoughts

The boxes are set up correctly - we have a 4way LNB with a pair of cables for each box. The problem is only from the physical remote signals interferring with the second box due to both Sky boxes being in the same room...
Box 2 works fine until someone in the room switches channels on box 1... now while that is very annoying, I'm more concerned that they go into the planner and accidently delete some of my recordings in box 2... and yes it is possible!!! I watched my daughter's boyfriend go into the planner to watch one of his recordings on box 1 and box 2 responded identically!!!!  :o 

As mentioned, it was ok when one box was a +HD box and the other one was an old style sky+ as the remotes were different.

Jenny
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 14:37 BST (UK) »
Sounds like you need a Sky Eye

Not cheap, though !  :o
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 16:11 BST (UK) »

Could try ebay!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

Unless your room is the size of one in Buck House SW1 and you have them positioned either end of the room then your two same model boxes, in the same room,  the single remote is almost certainly always going to action both boxes.

You say that you are unable to separate them by dint of length of cables for T'internet and satdish?

You could extend the network by using network-over-mains "devolo-type" kit.
(works very well as a number of us will vouch)
£50?
You could also extend your satcables either by "similar" devices or "straight" cable extension
(http://cpc.farnell.com/ will have you reading for hours)
(works but signal loss may then be a factor)
£5 - £10 - £15 - £? dependant upon connectors and a length of a piece of string, I mean cable?

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Pebbles Kernow

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 17:05 BST (UK) »

Could try ebay!

We got ours from a local shop for £5 - that was a few years ago and last time we checked they had gone up in price to £7  ;) - btw it was an independant shop as opposed to a chain

Pebs

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 17:11 BST (UK) »
Even if it's now £15 still much cheaper than Sky.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 08:39 BST (UK) »

Could try ebay!

We got ours from a local shop for £5 - that was a few years ago and last time we checked they had gone up in price to £7  ;) - btw it was an independant shop as opposed to a chain

Pebs

Are you sure that it was a Sky Eye, and not a Magic Eye ?  If you Google Sky Eye, you'll find lots of cheap Magic Eyes, but they don't work the same way.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 August 11 07:23 BST (UK) »
thanks all....  foil didn't work!

I could move the sat box upstairs as we have another pair of cables running up to a bedroom which we left in place when we moved to second box downstairs but the slingbox needs to be hard wired into the router which sits in the corner of the living room. Slingbox do another device which can be attached to the router and wirelessly transmit the signals to the slingbox but it is quite expensive and I didn't want to go down that route.

Seems that after I googled SkyEye to find out exactly what it does, I'm far from the only one with this problem with multiple Sky HD boxes.... ended up back at my usual technical  (av) forum. Even moving the second box into the dining room next door or even upstairs may not cure the problem  :o 

I was hoping to sort this out without throwing even more money at this setup but Nick29, I think you have found a solution with the SkyEye gadget... only problem I have now is I'm 6000 miles away from the UK and I don't totally trust two 22 year olds who are not very technical to sort it out.  I'm also not totally convinced this device will stop a remote control in the room from operating the 2nd box, or even allow the slingbox "virtual" remote to work

I'm very tempted to throw one box out the window, cut my subs down and leave the kids to freeview  ;D ;D ;D

thanks again for your input though
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 05 August 11 07:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

You can test the separation of the 2 boxes (1 up, 1 down) by just moving the one and then seeing if you change channel (no skysat signal needed for that)

If that works (ie no cross-interference) then spend the £ on the "devolo"-type devices.
example ...........................
http://www.maplin.co.uk/devolo-high-speed-networking-over-the-mains-48539

Router to devolo-1 plugged into mains socket downstairs (and switched on)     :)
Devolo-2 plugged in mains socket upstairs connected to slingbox to ................
(and all switched on)   :) :) :)

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).