Author Topic: How do I find a dead man  (Read 2561 times)

Offline dinkey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
How do I find a dead man
« on: Wednesday 16 June 04 21:58 BST (UK) »
I last had sight of my ggg grandfather in the 1851 census for Ashton-u-Lyne. He was not at that same address in 1861. I daren't ask for a look up because I know the 1861 has not been surname indexed.

He is not on the 1881 so he obviously died between 1851 & 1881. I have looked on Free BMD but the problem is there are no ages shown for the deaths only the volume pages and because I don't know where he was living at the time of death it is very difficult to find him. I am waiting for a marriage certificate of his next youngest son who married in 1866 to see if the father was still alive and to try and narrow the date down. I am also having the same problem with his wife.

Has anyone any suggestions as to anything else I can try?

regards

dinkey

TRAVIS/ROCHDALE-OLDHAM-TODMORDEN-ASHTON-U-LYNE-BURY AREAS
DALTON/WIDNES- CHESHIRE-THORNTON-FLEETWOOD

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re:How do I find a dead man
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 June 04 00:31 BST (UK) »
Tameside have a good website at http://www.tameside.gov.uk/leisure/new/lh31.htm

where they claim to have the following

We have microfilmed copies of returns for the Tameside Metropolitan Borough area for:

1841, Street index - Limited information; no place of birth or family relationships
1851, Street and surname index. Also surname indexes for parts of Manchester and Stockport
1861, Street and Surname index - transcript for Denton and Haughton only. Surname index for part of Ashton only
1871, Street and Surname index for Ashton (not Hurst area), Audenshaw, Droylsden/Clayton
1881, Street and Surname index for the whole of England (compiled by the Mormons)
1891, Street and Surname indexes for Denton & Haughton; parts of Ashton and Dukinfield; most of Hyde, Newton (Flowery Field), Longdendale, Mossley and Stalybridge.
1901, Street index.

And they claim that the following is on CD rom stored at:Family History Society of Cheshire, 2003
1871  Cheshire: Ashton-under- Lyne, Altrincham, Birkenhead, Northwich, Runcorn, Wirral
includes name and street index

You probably know that, or maybe it doesn't have what you want.

Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 June 04 00:41 BST (UK) »
Hi dinkey,

FreeBMD does have the age at death,   but it was only recorded after 1865.  I should know I have transcribed half on the 1874 deaths.  ::)

How about this one;

~~~~~~~~
Deaths Jun 1882
~~~~~~~~

TRAVIS  Joseph  age 61  Ashton  8d 328  

He is close in age and the recorded age at death is notoriously unreliable.

Kazza.  
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline hethmar

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 June 04 09:49 BST (UK) »
The other point is, that even the Marriage Cert may not help because my GGF cert showed my GGGF name and occupation but I know for a fact he died the year before the wedding.

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 June 04 11:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Dinkey / All

I have a copy of the 1871 Cheshire FHS indexed census for A-U-L district as mentioned above by Gardener. unfortunatly it only has the Cheshire side of the border piece nos. RG10/4080-4085 and RG10/4090-4092. Non of these include
Ashton its self which is on the Lancs side.
  However I did search it and found only one Joseph Travis aged 31 and a music teacher so obviously not yours.

Sorry but at least you can elimenate these pieces.

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline dinkey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 June 04 21:01 BST (UK) »
To Gardner

Thank you for the information on Tameside, I was not aware that they had all these census index. I will certainly give them a try.

To Kazza

Thank you for advising this death in 1882 which gives me a birth date of 1821. I am looking for a birth in 1812, its possible that it was transcribed incorrectly. Although a death in 1882 should mean that he should be on the 1881 census  unless I missed him.

To hethmar

I find your reply a bit disconcerting, I would have thought that you would have to declare if your father was deceased presuming of course that you knew he had died. Doesn't make thing easy in family history research does it.

To peterbennet

Thank you for the lookup on the 1871 census for the Cheshire side. as you state I can eliminate these pieces.

Regards

dinkey
TRAVIS/ROCHDALE-OLDHAM-TODMORDEN-ASHTON-U-LYNE-BURY AREAS
DALTON/WIDNES- CHESHIRE-THORNTON-FLEETWOOD

Offline hethmar

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 June 04 21:30 BST (UK) »
No dinkey, I have now learnt that nothing is cut and dried in this business!!

I also thought that the groom would have told the minister the father was dead, but I guess in my ancestor's case anyway, we arent talking about intellectual giants and I guess the question  "Father's name and job?" was answered.