Author Topic: British Home Child Day - September 28th  (Read 62692 times)

Offline arrakchrome

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: British Home Child Day - September 28, 2011
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 18:04 GMT (UK) »
My Great Grandfather was a British Home Child, I am glad that the events have come to light and people are starting to understand the hardship that they had endured.  When will Canada adopt this day as well instead of just Ontario?

Offline connie powner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 19 November 11 04:09 GMT (UK) »
The year was 1909 and their mother had passed away in 1908 and their father couldn't work and take care of them.
Sydney 13, Victor 11, Hilda 10 and Harold 8 were sent to Middlemore Home and came to Halifax.
Victor and Harold had their name changed but they still knew who their parents were.
Victor was my father and he made his way to Northwestern Ontario where he met and married my mother.
Now I appreciate what he must have felt like.

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Helen Cheyne (1863-1952)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 19 November 11 04:38 GMT (UK) »
For those wanting to know more about the home children, CBC radio had a show on November 18, 2011 at 1PM. I can't figure out how to attach the link directly to the recording, but when I went to this page, I searched for Home Children and it brough up the link to the full show.

http://www.cbc.ca/livingoutloud/

"The home children".   Former home children tell their stories.  From 1870 to the 1950's about 100-thousand children were sent to Canada from Britain, taken from city slums to a country that needed cheap labour. Some were welcomed into loving homes, but many were put to work in harsh conditions as indentured farm labourers and domestic servants.  There were suicides and suspicious deaths, but the vast majority of the home children survived and went on to have families of their own and today their descendants make up an amazing 11-percent of the Canadian population.
MACDONALD of Benbecula, Scotland, Earlswood/Wapella Sask
BAIN of Aberdeenshire, Trafford district, Red Jacket and Moosomin, Sask
CHEYNE of Aberdeenshire & Trafford district, Sask
FISHER of Yorkshire, Ontario & Saskatchewan
INKSTER of Shetland, Edinburgh, Sask and BC
GAUNT of Yorkshire, Kent, BC & Australia
KINCH of Ireland, PEI, Ab, Sask
CORCORAN of Ireland, PEI & Sask
GOTZ / GOETZ of Soufflenheim, Alsace & Ont
MITTELHAUSSER of Soufflenheim, Alsace
MULLER or MILLER of Drusenheim, Alsace & Ont

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 24 November 11 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Does there exist one central spot to search for names of Home Children?  I have a hunch that some in my tree might have come to Canada that way, have searched several partial lists without success, don't know how many other lists might have been overlooked.  The surname would be Clazie but could also be spelled Clazey, Clazy, Clasey, Clasie, Clezie and Clezy.

Clezie (Clazie, Clezy, Clazy, Clazey, Claise, etc.), Lockhart, Heiser, Schwab, Tomon, Zarnowski, Megert, Iseli

Offline connie powner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 24 November 11 21:42 GMT (UK) »
You could try" R & M Crawford" <mcrawfd[at][/blue]nbnet.nb.ca> (Replace [at] with @) she can help you search the records but will need as much information as you can provide.
example:
age of person, what year they may have been sent to Canada, a name of a ship, the year they came, name and gender of person.
You can also give an estimate of names and age.
You could also submit a request to www.middlemoreatlanticsociety.com
good luck
Connie

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 24 November 11 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you but we do not have that information.  We don’t know the names of individuals, arrival dates, ships they were on, etc.  If we had such details, there would be no need for a search.  It is precisely because we don't know the information, we would like to search a list: to find names that we recognize as "ours".  Catch-22.

Clezie (Clazie, Clezy, Clazy, Clazey, Claise, etc.), Lockhart, Heiser, Schwab, Tomon, Zarnowski, Megert, Iseli

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Helen Cheyne (1863-1952)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 24 November 11 23:51 GMT (UK) »
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/genealogy/022-908.009-e.html

You might try this link. It's for Library & Archives Canada. The names of Home Children are included on passenger lists; however, the lists prior to 1925 contain few details about the children other than name, age, sending agency and destination.

Members of the British Isles Family History Society of Greater Ottawa (BIFHSGO) [www.bifhsgo.ca/index.htm] are working on indexing the names of juvenile migrants found in the Home Children passenger lists.

Good luck
MACDONALD of Benbecula, Scotland, Earlswood/Wapella Sask
BAIN of Aberdeenshire, Trafford district, Red Jacket and Moosomin, Sask
CHEYNE of Aberdeenshire & Trafford district, Sask
FISHER of Yorkshire, Ontario & Saskatchewan
INKSTER of Shetland, Edinburgh, Sask and BC
GAUNT of Yorkshire, Kent, BC & Australia
KINCH of Ireland, PEI, Ab, Sask
CORCORAN of Ireland, PEI & Sask
GOTZ / GOETZ of Soufflenheim, Alsace & Ont
MITTELHAUSSER of Soufflenheim, Alsace
MULLER or MILLER of Drusenheim, Alsace & Ont

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 12 December 11 04:10 GMT (UK) »
Collections Canada has been recently added already scanned files to the cef collections as a "digitized file"
in PDF form. You need to check off the box for digitized file. I imagine noses will be out of joint for those
who had to pay for the original files to be scanned.... s...However, it will be an awesome resource for those who find it there for free...
here is the digitised file for Frederick Barnes
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/cef/1-1000/446-21.pdf
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline emmguy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 12 December 11 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Many thanks for the link to Frederick Barnes .....went on....so much information....it was really interesting.....I just wish it was my  Frederick

.....unfortunately it was for Frederick William barnes....still interesting reading....did however go on the web site to see if they had Frederick barnes (1894). But they haven't digitised  his record yet , look forward to it being released soon.

Thanks for your help

barnes  ..originated leicester  moved to birmingham in counties worcs  warwickshire  staffs aswell

early 1900 two brothers were 'emigrated' to Canada Frederick and Ernest Henry Barnes.....by Barnardos...have found them in 1916 census...frederick joined the canadian army and died during ww1

also looking for guy..prescott area mayber liverpool
mcgarels in prescot ...originated from ireland
others.. twist  moore hill cole adison vaughan leake eastman broadbent nicholls