Author Topic: Aberhafesp Hall estate history  (Read 14784 times)

Offline gemmanoon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Aberhafesp Hall estate history
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 March 12 01:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

thanks for all of this information, and please accept my apologies for neglecting it. Turns out that immigration was a lot more time consuming than I had first thought!

In answer to Rol's question, you can track the Smith's on the census records living in Thimble Hall, but the earliest record we have for them is from 1776. I do not know the source of the original, as all I have is a photocopy that passed through three other people before reaching me.  David64 very kindly translated it for me to read this:

David Smith

The notice you are hereby required to quit and give up the holding and
possession of the farm or tenement called Gwern y Gasseg with the
appurtenances thereof standing in the Parish of Aberhaves at Lady Day
next ensuing only ye house and barn at May next ensuing whereof you have
this nolis

Dated ye 24th day of September 1776

Given you by me Richard Lewis

This is the oldest record we have for this particular branch of the tree. I wondered who Richard Lewis was, whether he was the owner or a steward for example, which is what got me interested in the general life of my ancestors before they moved, en masse, to Liverpool.

Thanks again for all of the leads you have provided me with; when I have time(?) I hope to piece together some more information about their life.

Regards,

Gemma

Offline snipo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 August 14 00:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Gemma,
The Smith's you are researching are part of my family. 1851 census, Edward b 1801, is living at Bellan Newton Montgomeryshire. I have got as far back as Edward b 1769 and wife Ann b 1774. Do you want to share info?
Regards
Collette nee Smith

Offline gemmanoon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 00:22 BST (UK) »
HI Collette,

I would love to! Drop me a private message with your email and I will get back to you. I am in the process of moving house so my records are not to hand right now, but give me a few weeks and we should definitely connect.

Regards,

Gemma

Offline susy369

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 May 16 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hi saw this post today , i don't know whether you are still interested but my husbands sister in law lives there at the hall. It has been made into 4 seperate apartments each one having some of the original features. It wwas first oened by the Morgans then The Proctors, I will tell you more if you are interested still.
regards
Sue