Author Topic: Seeton family  (Read 17607 times)

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Seeton family
« on: Sunday 13 November 05 11:27 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for any information available about a great grandfather of mine.   From what my grandmother has passed onto me, (which isn't a lot) her father was from Carland, Dungannon Co Tyrone Ireland.   His name was John Seeton / Seaton, born 15 Mar 1857,  his parents were George Seeton and Mary Gribble.    It has been calculated they were born around 1828 as they are thought to have died aged about 92 years in 1919 approximately. 
  Seems George died 1913 and Mary in 1922    Have since found that most of the family that remained in Co Tyrone are buried at All Saints Church, Crossdernott in a family plot.  Mary's maiden name was Coulter not Grimble - have no idea why many of the sons thought their mother's maiden name was Grimble.
John Seeton had at 1 other sibling, George, Still looking for George and possibly a sister or cousin named Jane Seeton.   It is thought Jane stayed in Ireland and possibly married. 
 Jane was actually Sarah Jane, she and a brother Thomas both remained single, lived at home with their parents -
George (the son) Seeton allegedly went to America, and John had planned to work his passage on a ship to join him there, only once at sea he found the ship ( the West Riding )he had signed onto was bound direct to Australia.    When landfall was made at Adelaide John jumped ship (2/2/1880) and eventually settled in Ballarat Victoria where he married in 1895 and widowed in 1903. 
  Have found additional siblings, Robert, William, Hugh, James, Matthew,and Elizabeth, some had children some did not.
If anyone has either a Seeton or Coulter I would love to hear from you, even if it is only to eliminate your family line.
Regards Abygail
updated 15/08/2010

I have some fresh information to add to the above,   
On some documentation the G in Gribble looks more like a T so it may have been Tribble.
In the address department the following combinations appear,
Mulinagore, Carland
Clackstown

Glencon, sometimes looks like Glencor
Sherrywood, sometimes as two words
Dungannon

11 McLean Street, Plantation, Glasgow (relating to a Hugh Seaton married to a Sarah Ann Donaldson)   Hugh died 6/9/1897

There is reference to Hugh and a William Seaton in Glasgow
Apparently after Hugh was killed at work his body was returned to the family and Hugh was buried in the family plot at Crossdernott, his widow also returned to Tyrone, their daughter was raised by Hugh's siblings James and Elizabeth Seaton and Anne remarried and had two more children (Morrison).   Their son Hugh was raised by his mother and stepfather.

A Matthew Seaton was in the RIC,  Have since traced Matthew and his wife Mary to Hartford CT, in 1910 US Census, they had a son and a daughter - no issue from either.

The following are from Remembrance Cards.
Rachael Seeton died 9/4/1903 at Glencon? and was buried at Crossdernot Cemetery, Rachael was the youngest daughter of George and Mary Seeton.
Robert Seaton died 8/6/1891 and was buried at Benfieldside Cemetery (Co Durham?) he was married to Isabell Baxter. 
I think I found Robert in a census return, then his marriage, birth and death of a son, John George Seeton and Robert's subsequent death.    John Seaton was from all accounts Presbyterian.

From what I have been able to decipher the above (less the spouses) were all siblings to John Seeton and offspring of George and Mary Seeton.  Hopefully this additional information will help.
Regards anyway,  Abygail
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Seeton family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 November 05 11:49 GMT (UK) »
In Griffiths Valuation for County Tyrone, no entries appear for Seeton and only a few for Seaton. Go to http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php and enter 'Seaton' then choose county 'Tyrone' and then search. No Gribble / Grimble names turn up for Tyrone albeit a couple of Gribble/s do turn up in Cork.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 May 06 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Abygail,

Lets see if you can find some present day Seaton/Seeton families who may have a rough idea of where their families were originally located In the north of Ireland or Britain this site should help you http://192.com In the south of Ireland http://www.dit.ie/DIT/ict_services/phones/eircom.html Some Seatons signed the Ulster Covenant in 1912 http://www.proni.gov.uk/ulstercovenantsearch/results.asp The Genealogy.com Genforum site has two pages of people with the name Seaton.

I hope this may be of some assistance, Chris

Offline kseton

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 September 06 22:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Abigail et al,

As a note, the Seeton's of Nova Scotia derive from Dungannon, County Tyrone, where Thomas Seaton, his son Thomas and daughter Mary, as well as a Jane Seaton are buried.  They aret he family of James Seeton of Nova Scotia who immigrated there in 1822 with his family. 
There was also a John Seeton who was from Ireland, and who was a Burgher on the island of Statia (St. Eustatius) in 1781 and listed on the noted "Rodney Roll".

For the Seeton's of Nova Scotia, see below:

Thomas Seaton of Dungannon, Tyrone, Ireland (b 1727. d.14.05.1811), buried in Dungannon Presbyterian Cemetery, Co. Tyrone, Ireland.
m. unknown - possibly Jane (?), buried in Dungannon Presbyterian Cemetery, Co. Tyrone, Ireland.
1. Mary Seaton (b 1772. d. 09.05.1781), buried in Dungannon Presbyterian Cemetery, Co. Tyrone, Ireland.
  m1. unknown
2. Thomas Seaton (b 1774. d. 19.06.1818), buried in Dungannon Presbyterian Cemetery, Co. Tyrone, Ireland.   
  m1. unknown   
3. James Seeton (name also spelt Seaton in Ireland, and occassionally in NS as = Seton) (b 1776. d 27.03.1858 in his 83rd year), noted as being of Scottish descent of the illustrious Seton Family of Scotland, married 1808 in Donaghmore, Donegal, Ireland by Rev'd Samuel Dill, Presbyterian, Emigrated from Ireland to Londonderry, Nova Scotia on May 15th 1821 and arrived in June of the same year (alt. date left June 24, 1822 and landing July 24th, 1822) leaving from Belfast and landed at St. John New Brunswick.  He moved to Londonderry N.S. one month later.  He died and was buried in the Folly Village Cemetery in Glenholm, Londonderry, Nova Scotia.   
  m. Martha Crawford (b. 1783. d. 25.06.1848 aged 65 yrs)  Martha was related to the noted family of Crawford of Donegal, Ireland, though she herself was from Co. Tyrone, Ireland.  Her paternal religion was noted as Methodist, though unconfirmed.

see the Seton Family website:  http://www.thesetonfamily.com/cadets/The_Seetons_of_Nova Scotia_lineage.htm

Sincerely yours,
Kenneth Seton (nee Seeton).

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Carland, Co Tyrone
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 April 07 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
Trying a different method to open the gate,  been trying for a long time to find any information re John Seeton/Seeton b 15/03/1857 somewhere in NI.   He's supposed to have told his youngest daughter he was from Mullingore/Mullingar Carland, Dungannon Co Tyrone.   Parents, George Seeton and Mary Gribble, siblings, George (went to America) Robert (went to UK) a sister? Jane stayed in Ireland?  allegedly parents died c1919 aged about 92.   The photo was taken in Australia in 1903 very close to when John's  wife died, leaving him his 3 daughters.   Does this man look like someone in your family tree?
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
  Abygail

Offline kintree

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thicker than water
    • View Profile
Re: Carland, Co Tyrone
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 17:50 BST (UK) »
Abygail

Carland is a village / clachan / cluster of houses north of Dungannon, but the name Carland is not an administrative area.  Carland falls at least partly in the townland of Gortnaglush, civil parish of Donaghmore.

There is a presbyterian church in Carland.

In the civil parish of Donaghmore there is a townland called Mullaghmore, but not I'm afraid one called Mullingore/Mullingar.  In fact there is not in the whole of County Tyrone a townland beginning "Mulling".

Hope this helps

Adrian
STEVENSON County Derry;  KINSMAN;  BATTERSBY Dublin

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Why don't you try this website to look up in the Death Indexes? www.familyulster.com

Do not worry about the word "Ulster" in its name as they do have an access to the whole Ireland GRO indexes up to 1922 (the year when they divided Ireland into two parts).

Only one pound per year to look up in!

Hope this help you a bit!

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

You may get lucky if you managed to find your John's parents' marriage provided that they got married between 1845 to his birth!

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 April 07 05:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone, I just love all that positive feedback,  :) I know I have an uphill struggle to find anything much on any of the Irish from the 19th Century.    Have always had doubts re my Nana's documentation of origin details.   Sometimes wonder if John actually knew where he was from.  :-X   Also planning to visit Ireland in September, suggestions / recommendations on places I should visit to further my search will be appreciated. 8) ???
  Abygail