Author Topic: Seeton family  (Read 17606 times)

Offline niccorr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeton family
« Reply #27 on: Friday 18 December 20 23:44 GMT (UK) »
This may be of no relevance but there is a bridge between Coagh in Co Tyrone and Littlebridge and the older people always called it Seetons Bridge Now it is actually in Co Derry which is deceiving as its on the main road between Coagh and Cookstown both in Co Tyrone

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 19 December 20 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Firstly , thank you to both niccorr for that small gem regarding locations and names.  Sometimes I am convinced these people didn't want to be traced.
Secondly to William Seaton,  Some of the names seem to be familiar 'family' names that 'my
 lot like to repeat generation after generation, which is why I feel like I'm up against a brick wall.
Quick question, have you done your DNA?  If so with whom?  I've done mine via My Heritage.  Be brilliant if there is a DNA match between us.   My ggf's younger brother, Robert Seeton went to Durham to work as a miner, he married an Isabell Baxter had a son George William Seeton before being killed in an open faced slag heap collapse. c1890's  I think George served WW1 married had daughters and I've lost the trail.   Found a Thomas Seeton 1890 census from memory was a veteran no idea if he ties in.  Please PM if you like  Aby
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 19 December 20 12:30 GMT (UK) »
This may be of no relevance but there is a bridge between Coagh in Co Tyrone and Littlebridge and the older people always called it Seetons Bridge Now it is actually in Co Derry which is deceiving as its on the main road between Coagh and Cookstown both in Co Tyrone

Is this the bridge you are referring to, a short distance from Littlebridge and on the B73?
https://tinyurl.com/y77esm55

KG

**Edit**
OSNI Historical First Edition (1832-1846) map names this bridge as Ballygonny Bridge in the townland of Ballygonny More.
https://apps.spatialni.gov.uk/PRONIApplication/
https://www.townlands.ie/londonderry/loughinsholin/tamlaght/ballygonny-more/
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 19 December 20 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again for the contributions and suggestions.  Gives me something to keep my mind busy while allowing my broken ankle time to heal.
Wishing everyone a safe and Happy Christmas ;) ;) ;)
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail

Offline niccorr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 19 December 20 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Yes thats the bridge Im referring to There are 3 bridges near each other on that road.That one then Littlebridge at Littlebridge and The Big Bridge which is on towards Stewartstown

Offline IngridS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 01 April 21 16:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Abygail, I'm a great great grand-daughter of Robert Seeton/Seaton born c.1859 who moved to Consett, County Durham and married Isabelle Baxter... That means we're some sort of relation.

Offline IngridS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 02 April 21 20:34 BST (UK) »
Firstly , thank you to both niccorr for that small gem regarding locations and names.  Sometimes I am convinced these people didn't want to be traced.
Secondly to William Seaton,  Some of the names seem to be familiar 'family' names that 'my
 lot like to repeat generation after generation, which is why I feel like I'm up against a brick wall.
Quick question, have you done your DNA?  If so with whom?  I've done mine via My Heritage.  Be brilliant if there is a DNA match between us.   My ggf's younger brother, Robert Seeton went to Durham to work as a miner, he married an Isabell Baxter had a son George William Seeton before being killed in an open faced slag heap collapse. c1890's  I think George served WW1 married had daughters and I've lost the trail.   Found a Thomas Seeton 1890 census from memory was a veteran no idea if he ties in.  Please PM if you like  Aby

Hi, I’m descended from Robert Seeton & Isabella Baxter. Their son George William was my grandma’s father. George William, married a Lily Westhorp,  served in WW1 in naval medical corps, had 2 daughters one of whom was my grandmother. I have photos of George William.

Offline PhilStead

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 05 April 23 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hi there I came across this forum whilst researching the family and wondered if my info helps anyone.
I am William Seaton the youngest son of Norman Seaton who was born1911.
His father , my Grandad, was James George Seaton born 1886, died 1960's. He was the youngest of 9 children.
His father, my great grandad, was James Seeton  (later Seaton) born in 1842 in Tyrone Ireland. In 1861 he was living in Ireland with his sister Eliza, born 1834.
 Later in 1861 he was living at 42 Newport Lane, Stoke On Trent in the 1861 census, aged 18 an apprentice potter.
In 1866 he married Mary Brough, born 1846, died 1900, they had 9 children ..I know of James and his sister Eliza but have no knowledge of where  the other siblings were.
Eliza married a Thomas Chatfield, born in Staffordshire who was also a potter, she died
1882.I hope this is of interest to someone,
regards Will.

Hi William,

I am a professional genetic genealogist at the University of Strathclyde and I have conducted significant genetic research on the Seton lineages. I have been looking for a direct male descendant from the Seaton lineage from Tyrone. Would you be interested in testing your Y-Chromosome through FTDNA and join my Seaton/Seton FTDNA project?

We have discovered the Y-DNA SNPs of the Earls of Winton and Pitmedden. Based on the documentary research I have conducted, the Seaton lineage from Tyrone should also descend from the Pitmedden lineage. It would be great if you are interested in exploring this hypothesis?

My email address is:

Please get in touch if you would like to test or discuss this further. I would also love to hear from any direct Seton male (plus spelling variation) or females with a living direct Seton male relative who are interested in testing.

Best wishes,

Philip