Author Topic: Campton PR's look up Completed with much thanks  (Read 8732 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Campton PR's look up Completed with much thanks
« on: Thursday 04 August 11 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I am hoping there is a kind rootschatter or two that has access to the Campton PR's. I am after any references for the surname Bentham in christening and burial records between 1625 and 1645. Also, is there a marriage for Francis Bentham 1624-25?
I know this sounds a lot, but as far as I know there is only one family unit.

Thanking you in advance,

Darren
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Campton PR's look up
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 August 11 16:11 BST (UK) »
Campton baptisms and marriages have been extracted onto the IGI at www.familysearch.org, so can be easily done yourself. Francis Bentham baptised seven children between 1626 and 1638

Burials in Campton are
George Bentham 18 Aug 1626
Elizabeth Bentham 5 March 1639
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 August 11 07:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that. yes, I did get the data from the IGI, but I didn't know if it was complete, or whether there may have been any extra info in the original register.

Cheers,
Darren

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 August 11 15:38 BST (UK) »
From the Campton with Shefford parish records transcript - the first 6 of the baptisms say that Francis Bentham was of Shefford while the 7th says he's of Campton. The 1628 burial has Francis of Shefford while the 1639 burial has him of Campton. For all the of the 'of Shefford' entries, he is listed as a Draper.

regards John 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Campton PR's look up Completed with much thanks
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 August 11 00:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks John, that's the sort of thing I was looking for. That confirms that this is the same Francis Bentham. My wife's ancestor was a draper, who moved to London sometime in the 1640's. Interestingly, I have a reference for him that says he was a draper from Stafford; this sent me on the wrong path for a bit. Possibly someone has mixed up Shefford and Stafford.
 Many thanks,

Darren

PS Francis was also the ancestor of Jeremy Bentham, the philosopher.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 August 11 08:37 BST (UK) »
Just to clarify: Francis Bentham was the grandson of Thomas Bentham, the Bishop of Coventry and Lichfield; that's possibly why Shefford and Stafford got mixed up. Francis' father, also Thomas, was vicar of Hockliffe, where Francis was christened.

Once again, many thanks to all,

Darren

Offline Matt Redman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 March 16 18:02 GMT (UK) »
When Richard Redman died 1647 at St. Sepulchre, Newgate, London, Middlesex, England he left a will mentioning Uncle Bryan Bentham and kinsman Francis Bentham and wife Margaret. [Will of Richard Redman of Saint Sepulchre without Newgate, Middlesex Catalogue reference: PROB 11/201/190 National Archives, London]. The parents of Richard were Abraham Redman, draper, and Sarah Balthrop. Any further details on  how this Redman family is related to the Bentham family?
best regards,
Matt Redman
Chestertown, MD, USA

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 March 16 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt, and welcome to Rootschat.  :)
I haven't come across the name Redman before with the Bentham's, but there is obviously a connection of some kind.
If Richard's mother's name was Balthorp, then he can't be related through his mother. Do you know what his wife's maiden name was?
I had a quick look at his will; it is interesting that an Edward Gregory senior was a witness, as Bryan Bentham's son married a Gregory.

Offline Matt Redman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 March 16 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Richard Redman's wife was named Elizabeth but I don't know her maiden name or their marriage date. I figure the most obvious way that Bryan Bentham could be Richard Redman's uncle is a link through marriage by one of his father Abraham Redman's sisters. Richard's aunt Elizabeth Redman married Rafe Bury son of Haseldine Bury & Margaret Chapman. There was another sister to Abraham (so Richard Redman's aunt) named Frances Redman [Christening 17 Mar 1583 • Christchurch Greyfriars, Newgate St., London, Middlesex, England] but I have no further info. Do you know who the wife of this "Uncle" Bryan Bentham was?

Another way Bryan can be the uncle of Richard Redman is by Bryan's marriage to one of Sarah Balthrop's sisters. I have no further info on this family except that Sara(h) was from Christ Church parish, aged 26 in 1630 when she married Abraham Redman, and her father was dead at that time so she married "at her own disposing".

Regarding Edward Gregory of St Dunstan-in- the-West--"I wrote about Jeremy Gregory previously in Clocks Magazine in April 2007 but as new information comes to light it seems to me worth writing about him again. He was born in 1621, the son of Edward Gregory of St. Dunstan's in the West, London. Edward was a spectacle maker and a member of the Goldsmith's Company, apprenticed in 1597 to James Dehammel and freed in 1606."  Collecting Antique Clocks, Jeremy Gregory's lantern clocks.
Brian & Joy Loomes
Calf Haugh Farmhouse
Pateley Bridge, Harrogate
North Yorkshire HG3 5HW
England