Author Topic: Family Historian: what did I do wrong? COMPLETED with thanks  (Read 1554 times)

Online angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma & Grandad married 23 Aug 1918
    • View Profile
Family Historian: what did I do wrong? COMPLETED with thanks
« on: Thursday 04 August 11 11:40 BST (UK) »
I use Family Historian v4.1 and having got a bit behind  :-[  I decided to download my ancestry tree (which I've done before) but instead of it opening in the programme when I click on the FH icon I have to find the Gedcom file in my pictures folder where I saved it and open it from there.

I tried merging but that was a mess and didn't work properly,I'm tempted to uninstall and then reinstall and start from scratch again.

Any advice/suggestions? (If it's technical please keep it simple  ;D )

Thank you
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland
Stockton, Watson, Bage, Nellist N. Yorks
Challnor/Challoner Cheshire/Shropshire. Moore, Mansell: Wellington, Shropshire
Davies/ David, Coity, Glamorgan
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: Family Historian: what did I do wrong?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 August 11 12:00 BST (UK) »
I haven't got my laptop in front of me so can't see the menus but I suspect you should find it under the "File" drop down menu.

When you have found the gedcom file, in the way that you are doing so that you have it open in FH, what you need is to set it as the DEFAULT so that it will always open with the programme.

I hope that's not too confusing, I suspect you should be able to find the right command from that wording above.

I don't think your pictures folder is the best place to keep your gedcom file so perhaps find out where your previous file was kept and move the new one to there, using an updated name so as to keep both at least temporarily until everything is running smoothly.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Online angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 August 11 12:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply,sorry, I realise that I didn't make it clear but that's the problem,it won't open when I do that,I get an "unknown error has occurred" message. Other files,including imported Gedcoms sent to me as e-mail attachments open ok.
When I downloaded the Gedcom and was adding some images to it I noticed that I had two Family Historian boxes at the bottom of the screen so it seems that it was only open "with" Family  Historian rather than being "in" the programme  :-\

(Have moved the file as suggested)
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 August 11 12:28 BST (UK) »
If other files open without a problem then I suspect it might be your gedcom file that is faulty rather than the programme, which shouldn't need reinstalling.

I have had the programme open in two windows before now but that was when I was working on two separate files, if you have opened the same file in both windows then one will update and the other will reload each time you try to save.

I suppose the way to test is not to open Family Historian, but use Explorer to find your file and double click it to open, this should then open up in the programme but if it doesn't then that might be where the fault lies.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Online angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 August 11 12:38 BST (UK) »
Looks like you're right about the file being faulty, I tried opening it as you suggested and it did open but when I closed it and tried opening it from the dropdown menu,where it had appeared I just got the error message again. I just assumed that I'd done something wrong. I shall try downloading another gedcom I think. Thank you very much for your help.

Online angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 August 11 12:47 BST (UK) »
Woohoo, it worked  ;D thank you very much.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: Family Historian: what did I do wrong? COMPLETED with thanks
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 August 11 14:46 BST (UK) »
Pleased to hear it  :D