Author Topic: Tracing info. for Duffy family of Derrygolagh.  (Read 2735 times)

Offline derrygolagh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tracing info. for Duffy family of Derrygolagh.
« on: Thursday 04 August 11 13:18 BST (UK) »
 :D

Hello, could anyone help with any ancestry information on the Duffy family of Derrygolagh around the 1850's?

Any information would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Derrygolagh.

Offline The Irish Road

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing info. for Duffy family of Derrygolagh.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 August 19 02:24 BST (UK) »
G'day - I am on other Ancestry sites but new to this one. RE Derrygolagh Duffy's:my ancestor Mary Ann Duffy B 22 Feb 1883, Derrygolagh to James Duffy and Elanor McDonagh. James and Elanor were married in 1879 and their first child James moved to Rhode Island USA as did Mary. Elanor McDonagh-Duffy died 1 Jan 1881. James Duffy remarried in 1883 to Margaret Ward and they resided Derrygolagh and raised a large family. James Duffy son of Thady Duffy Derrygolagh. Elanor McDonagh daughter of Mathew of Derrygolagh. Margaret Ward daughter of John Ward and Winnifred Cryan.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 August 19 09:55 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat   :)

For information for others:

Party 1 Name   JAMES DUFFY
Party 2 Name   ELEANOR MCDONOUGH
Date of Event   20 February 1879
Group Registration ID   2647121
SR District/Reg Area   Boyle
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1879/11060/8046317.pdf

Name   MARY DUFFEY
Date of Birth   1883  (22nd February)
Group Registration ID   10974035
SR District/Reg Area   Boyle        #269
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1883/02743/2008368.pdf

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 August 19 10:42 BST (UK) »
Derrygolagh townland sits on the county boundary between Sligo and Roscommon.

Derrygolagh townland, Templevanny Electoral Division, Toomour Civil Parish, Co. Sligo.
https://www.townlands.ie/sligo/corran/toomour/templevanny/derrygolagh/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline derrygolagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 August 19 17:26 BST (UK) »
Hello The Irish Road

This is a surprise after all this time and thank you very much for posting.

I now will be busy trying to tie these Duffys to my family.

My great aunt Mary McDonagh was born in 1860 in Derrygolagh to Michael McDonagh and Sarah Morrisroe McDonagh.  Mary emigrated to Philadelphia and she married a Duffy gentleman.  I think he was Martin Duffy but I will have to check back in my records.

Perhaps there is a connection somewhere along the line and I will be back if I find a link. 

Thank you again and kind regards.

Liz
Derrygolagh     

Offline The Irish Road

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 August 19 17:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you Kiltaglassan for your responses. I have the records from irishgenealogy.ie as well as tithe and census as well as some distant DNA. I was attempting to be not 'too wordy " in my initial post but am interested "Thady Duffy" and Mathew McDonagh. Thady is listed as "deceased" in 1879 when his son James C1856 marries Elanor McDonagh whose father Mathew is also deceased before 1879.
I have seen a family tree with a Patrick Duffy married to a Lavin but there is no supporting documentation. Because Elanor McDonagh-Duffy died shortly after the birth of my ancestor Mary Duffy B 1883, the 2nd marriage of James Duffy to Mary Ward takes me way from the line I need to follow. I have been able to find the children of James Duffy and Mary Ward.