Author Topic: Norwegian Birth register - translation please  (Read 14394 times)

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Norwegian Birth register - translation please
« on: Friday 05 August 11 02:49 BST (UK) »
Hi all....

Could some kind soul help translate this excerpt from a Norwegian Birth register.

The bits I can sort of decipher are:

Date of Baptism column reads April, then 13, then something.

Next column (Parents) includes Petter PEDERSEN and Maria OLSDATTER
Possibly living in (or came from) Jelberg (maybe nowadays Fjelberg).
Sandergen (?) gets a mention too.

Next column (godparents) has a load of names.
Anders, Johan, Clara, Karen OLSDATTER, Anne, Marte and again Sandergen

Next column says Uagte and then something indecipherable most likely to do with who performed the baptism.

Any help appreciated.

Regards
Beg

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
Re: Norwegian Birth register - translation please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 August 11 03:49 BST (UK) »
Hello - it would be helpful if you gave the year and location (parish, county) so we could look at the original.  Also, my experience with Norwegian records suggests that the names after the parents' names are often farms, so Petter from (maybe) Hesselberg and Maria, Sandergren.  With a parish this might be easier to verify.

The word before Petter is probably his occupation, and the word "pige" before Maria usually (I think) means wife.

Do you have Petter and Maria's marriage?  edit:  Probably not - since "uagte" means "illegitimate".

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 August 11 04:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Nick...

Thanks very much for replying.

Apologies for not listing the source.

The following info is from the pdf downloaded from the Norwegian Archives.

Source information:
Buskerud county, Norderhov, Haug in Norderhov, Parish register copy nr. I 5 (1849-1863)
Birth and Baptism records 1851, page 22-23

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20070314610166.jpg

Quote from: nickgc

the names after the parents' names are often farms

Thanks for that tip.

Maybe the farms are Hesleberg and Søndereng, both farms in the Norderhov parish mentioned in "Oluf Rygh: Norwegian Farm Names".

Only thirty or so miles north of Oslo which is good as Christiania (Oslo) is also mentioned in another document.

All help most appreciated.

Regards
Beg

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 August 11 11:18 BST (UK) »
Ungkarl Petter Pedersen Hesselberg(?) and Pige Maria Olsdatter Sandergren(?)
ungkarl = unmarried man, pige = unmarried girl.
(normally if occupation is listed it will be before the name as Nick says)

Farm names in Norderhov in 1865 do include Hesselberg and Sandvigen

witnesses look like to me:
Mads Andersen Poulsrud
Johan Nilsen S?aard
Karen Olsdatter Poulsrud
Anne Marte Olsdatter Sandvigen

In the 1865 census Mads Andersen and Karen Olsdatter are in"Paulsrud (married couple - Karen may be Maria's sister, Anne perhaps another sister)
There's also a Maria Olsdatter in Sandvigen in 1865 (now married to Alf Olsen).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 August 11 11:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Jorose...

Thanks very much indeed.
Now you've shown me that each column entry should be read as one long line it makes a lot more sense.

Do you think the following is Petter and Maria's marriage?

It takes place in 1857. Entry number 3 (bottom of the page)

Source information:
Oppland county, Vardal, Parish register (official) nr.6 (1854-1866), page 202
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20070202610291.jpg

Any translation would be most appreciated.

Regards
Beg

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 August 11 15:19 BST (UK) »
Ungk. Peder Pedersen, 34, his father Peder Ols.  Can't quite read the farm name, possibly    Aalstad-something - witness is Johan Aalstad, (there is a Johan Pedersen in Aalstad in Vardal in 1865)
pige Maria Olsdatter, 40, her father Ols. Ols.   ditto, farm name looks like it begins with B and there is a witness Ole with last name looking like it is from the same place (there is a Bækkemellem on the census, could be that?)

There is a confirmation in Vardal in 1831 for a Maria Olsdatter baptised 1817, resident Bekimellem, parents Ole Olsen and Kari. Olsdatter, and her baptism in 1817 (residence Glæstad).

There is also a record, 22 April 1858 (after a son Peder was born and died to the couple who married in 1857) in the Vardal emigration records, of Peder Pedersen, 35, wife Maria Olsdatter, 41, moving to America (this only shows that they left the parish).

No children or other relatives appear to have come with them.

It looks possible (ages, etc), but it's a bit hard to tell just from this information if the 1851 couple and the 1857 couple are the same; you'd have to work out their movements between the two dates or find some common link between the two.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 August 11 23:38 BST (UK) »

Hello again Jorose...

You're an absolute star :-)

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Regards
Beg

Offline kaysii

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 August 11 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I think the farm that Maria Olsdatter is from is Sandvigen as well. It doesn't mean where she was born necessarily, usually where she was residing at the time of the baptism. Uegte strictly speaking means unmarried. In the column where it is written 1st Le....maal which is probably leiemaal refers to it being her first illegitimate child.
Unfortunately the names Maria Olsdatter and Petter Pedersen are very common and so you cannot assume that they are the couple. I found Edevard Pedersen living with his mother in Christiania in the 1865 census. She is 37 and apparently born in Christiania and married to someone completely different although written Chitian is probably Christian. Here is the link in case you don't have it.
http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/WebCens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=6&filnamn=f60301&gardpostnr=1519&personpostnr=39549&merk=39549#ovre
kaysii

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 August 11 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Kaysii....

Thanks very much for taking the time to help.

I'm still plodding along trying to find connections (hoping the sisters are godparents mainly) and am finding it very interesting. My first time researching in Norway :-)

--------------------------------------------------

Some questions regarding my link to Edevard PEDERSEN's birth register entry (reply #2)

Source information:
Buskerud county, Norderhov, Haug in Norderhov, Parish register copy nr. I 5 (1849-1863)
Birth and Baptism records 1851, page 22-23

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20070314610166.jpg
Entry no.7

1) Do you think that the final godparents listed are "Anne and Marthe" or just "Anne Marthe". Middle names don't seem all that common.

2) Do you think the spelling "OLSDOTTRE" for Anne/Marthe instead of "OLSDOTTER" is of any significance.

3) The farm seems to be "Sandvigen". There are several Sandvigen's mentioned on the "Oluf Rygh: Norwegian Farm Names" website. However the register entry is from the Parish of Haug in Norderhov, Buskerud county. So wouldn't it make more sense that the farm is one of the ones starting with an S in Haug e.g an abbreviated Sandli-Ødegaarden (from the Oluf Rygh website)

4) Is there a map showing the historic ***locations*** of the Farms. The "Oluf Rygh" website gives the names but I haven't been able to find an on-line site showing where the farms actually are/were. Google Maps does it's best but I'm guessing it's about 200 years out of date.

5) In reply #5 Jorose wrote......

There is a confirmation in Vardal in 1831 for a Maria Olsdatter baptised 1817, resident Bekimellem, parents Ole Olsen and Kari. Olsdatter, and her baptism in 1817 (residence Glæstad).

Source information: Oppland county, Vardal, Parish register (official) nr. 4 (1814-1831), Confirmation records 1831, page 263
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20070603710719.jpg
Entry no.21

How did Jorose find this out. I'm assuming it's from an index search on the Norwegian archives but I can't for the life of me find out how to duplicate the search. I can search the indexes and find confirmations but not this one in particular. More than likely my ineptitude but I had to ask as I'm trying to find similar confirmation records for Anne/Marthe/Karen.

----------------------------------------------------

6) In reply #7 Kaysii wrote...

I found Edevard Pedersen living with his mother Maria OLSDATTER in Christiania in the 1865 census. She is 37

That gives Maria a birth year of 1828 as opposed to the 1817 birth I've been looking at. Is it possible there are transcription errors in the 1865 census. Are the original returns viewable. It would be handy if she were 47, not 37 :-)

----------------------------------------------------

7)

Source information: Oppland county, Vestre Toten, Parish register (official) nr. 2 (1825-1837), Birth and baptism records 1826, page 6
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20070603790237.jpg

Entry no.34 is for the birth of a Karen OLSDATTER. It would be nice if she was Maria's sister and Edevard's godmother.

What does it say next to the parents (Overfat :-). Do you think the residence is Furuset, according to Google Maps not more than a mile from Paulsrud where Karen OLSDATTER is mentioned living on the 1851 birth register for Edevard PEDERSEN (see reply #2). Furuset is possibly also mentioned in the entry (no.33) just above Karen's (no.34).

------------------------------------------------------

and finally....

Source information: Buskerud county, Norderhov, Parish register (official) nr. 10 (1837-1847), Marriage records 1846, page 382
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20051111050339.jpg
Bottom entry on page.

I'm hoping to link the above wedding into the whole picture. Out of interest could you tell me what the bride's father's surname is. LDS says Hendrickson which I can't see. Also can you tell me what the groom's occupation is.

I'm not sure if these are the godparents mentioned living in Paulsrud as the 1865 census gives their ages as 59, when I think Karen OLSDATTER should be 39 (see my previous point #7)

And is the farm called "Wager" or is that not a W.

-------------------------------------------------------

Hate dumping so much on to you. Hope someone else can share the load but, in the meantime, many thanks for your help :-)

Regards
Beg