Author Topic: Australian Navy  (Read 2739 times)

Offline saxonw.

• RootsChat Senior
  • So many honest folk but it's the liars and cheats
    • View Profile
Australian Navy
« on: Friday 05 August 11 17:15 BST (UK) »
I've got a name of someone who died in 1898 who  was serving on  the Waterwitch which I believe was part of the Australian Squadron.   Where would I find any records of him joining etc?
Warks -Blundell, Stagg,Guest,Jennings<br />Ireland -Guest , Connor, Nowlan/Nolan,Hemming<br />Norfolk-Stagg<br />Cardigan-Jones<br />Glamorgan- David<br />Monmouth  and Glos-Witts, Bowsher<br />Derby Leics and Notts: Roulstone, Morley,Astle, Poxon , Bywater, Sanderson, Barnett, Fletcher<br />Hants- Jennings<br />Cornwall- Trestain, Stirrup,Gyles, Pearce, Cock<br />Devon- Hutchin(g)s , Griffey,Davies<br />Middlesex- Stirrup

Offline Neilhilt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Australian Navy
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 August 11 22:14 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the suggestions on www.navyhistory.gov.org ?  RAN did not get going until 1901, when the various colonial fleets were combined.
Smith - Ayrshire, Pyrmont, Newtown.  Dunsmore - Ayrshire.  Fyfe - Lanarkshire.  Patterson - Hunter Valley, Goulburn.  Rex - Yorkshire, Hobart.  Colbran - Sussex, Hawkesbury.  Lovell - Somerset, Marsfield.  Gallard - Kent,  Marsfield.  Sherriff - Angushire.  Cussen.  Dean - Mudgee.  Hill - Somerset, Gulgong

Offline wenrob13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 August 11 09:47 BST (UK) »
HI,

Up until 1901 it was called the Victorian Navy this may help.

Wendy

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 August 11 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The Royal Australian Navy formally came in existence in 1911, some ten years after Federation.  http://www.navy.gov.au/Commemorating_our_Service_to_the_Nation_1911-1915
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Australian_Navy   

There were British RN vessels on the Australian Station in the years before and after Federation.    It is possible that the chap serving on the Waterwitch signed up with the RN and if so, then his records should be in the Admiralty archives in Britain. 
http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/UKRNPersonnel.html

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/   Search for "Waterwitch" ....

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 August 11 10:27 BST (UK) »
From Trove, digitised newspapers

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/14156319 18 January 1898 Sydney Morning Herald (a leading Sydney NSW newspaper)

EDIT TO ADD ... The article would most likely be referring to the Joseph Blundell, as there's a coroner's report in that name referring to the fall from the hotel. 

NSW BDM online index has:  Joseph Blundell's death registered Sydney, given names of parent's as unknown and ref 128 of 1898.  The low number (128) suggesting to me that it is very early in the year 1898.   A transcript of the d.c. would provide burial information and age, occupation and perhaps other family history information.  Transcriptions are cheaper and quicker (can be sent by email eg as pdf file), and contain the same information as a "real deal" certificate.

Transcription Agents  http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/howToTraceYouFamTree.htm#TranscriptionAgent

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline saxonw.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 14:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. It was in the third week of January he fell to his death. The age is right and if it is the party I am looking for he did a runner some six years earlier from the UK.It would also fit together with a family rumour that someone had gone out to Australia and changed his name to John Blundell because of some misdemeanour in the UK.  If correct his wife takes up with someone else has two (or maybe three) kids by him but has returned   to the Blundell name (a widow of course) in 1901. So I really need to find out when he joined up. Some of the articles have him from HMS Torch though.
Warks -Blundell, Stagg,Guest,Jennings<br />Ireland -Guest , Connor, Nowlan/Nolan,Hemming<br />Norfolk-Stagg<br />Cardigan-Jones<br />Glamorgan- David<br />Monmouth  and Glos-Witts, Bowsher<br />Derby Leics and Notts: Roulstone, Morley,Astle, Poxon , Bywater, Sanderson, Barnett, Fletcher<br />Hants- Jennings<br />Cornwall- Trestain, Stirrup,Gyles, Pearce, Cock<br />Devon- Hutchin(g)s , Griffey,Davies<br />Middlesex- Stirrup

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 September 11 06:08 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I believe your best option is to expect to find him as RN and thus I urge you to follow up with the UK National Archives.  Perhaps he served on more than one RN vessel, perhaps at different times he was stationed on different stations throughout the Empire,  but his PAY would be authorised via the British Admiralty with offices on Whitehall, London, and I would hope their archive records would be at Kew, Surrey, England.   

Cheers,  JM

Offline saxonw.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 September 11 07:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help.Yes a visit to Kew I think willl be necessary sometime!

Offline Fmf

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 September 11 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hello I read a few of your posts about the Blundells and Guests in Kings Norton well my Great grandfather was john Blundell his wife Charlotte Cutler but her parents was not married and her father was Josepeth Guest they all lives in Bartly green Kings norton so maybe we could have a link? I have more infomation
I hope to ear from you soon
Take care
Kate