Author Topic: Is anyone researching the Leathes family?  (Read 3467 times)

Offline phsvm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is anyone researching the Leathes family?
« on: Friday 05 August 11 18:37 BST (UK) »
Sorting out some paperwork at my mother's house the other day I came across a newspaper cutting from the Reading Mercury/Oxford Gazette from September 1938 entitled 'Dorchester Abbey Wedding. Miss I M de M Leathes married. A quiet ceremony.'

The article gives a very detailed account of the wedding between Ivy Margaret de Mussenden Leathes and George Anthony Wright.

I've only looked into this very briefly but it looks as if de Mussenden is a family name, passed down through the generations. I also discovered that the bride's brother, at the time Captain R C de M Leathes went on to become a Major General with a glittering military career in the Marines.

Is anyone researching this family? If so I'd be more than happy to pass on this article as it seems too full of intricate details to go to waste.

Offline GUT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone researching the Leathes family?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 September 15 10:16 BST (UK) »
Sorting out some paperwork at my mother's house the other day I came across a newspaper cutting from the Reading Mercury/Oxford Gazette from September 1938 entitled 'Dorchester Abbey Wedding. Miss I M de M Leathes married. A quiet ceremony.'

The article gives a very detailed account of the wedding between Ivy Margaret de Mussenden Leathes and George Anthony Wright.

I've only looked into this very briefly but it looks as if de Mussenden is a family name, passed down through the generations. I also discovered that the bride's brother, at the time Captain R C de M Leathes went on to become a Major General with a glittering military career in the Marines.

Is anyone researching this family? If so I'd be more than happy to pass on this article as it seems too full of intricate details to go to waste.

When he was a Capt her brother was Aide de Camp to the Governor of the then Colony of New South Wales.

I'm looking for any lnk to the Stanger Leathes
Gorton
Payne
Cornwallis
Duncombe
Rennex
Praeger

Offline phsvm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 September 15 18:02 BST (UK) »
So do you want a copy of this article?

Offline GUT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 September 15 21:28 BST (UK) »
Yeah, why not it might shed some light in the issue, looks like there was some relationship.
Gorton
Payne
Cornwallis
Duncombe
Rennex
Praeger

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 September 15 01:11 BST (UK) »
When he was a Capt her brother was Aide de Camp to the Governor of the then Colony of New South Wales.

Sorry, but some info is not correct.    The Aide de Camp to one of the Governors  was Captain  R C de M LEATHES

But ..... that Governor was NOT governor of then then Colony of New South Wales. 

That Governor was governor of the STATE of QUEENSLAND, ......   and NSW was not then a Colony.

It, along with Queensland were two of the former colonies which became two of the six founding states of Australia back in 1901.   It is possible to consider that the Commonwealth of Australia was  a colony of Britain in the 1930s.   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Orme_Wilson

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/36872235  Courier Mail 6 April 1937

Captain Leathes Will Rejoin Regiment.

The Governor’s party to visit England next month will be His Excellency and Lady Willson, …… and his aide-de-camp (Captain Leathes).   Captain Leathes who is completing his term of office, will rejoin his regiment in England and will not return to Brisbane …………..    Captain R C de M LEATHES has been in Brisbane just two years.  He arrived in April 1935 ……. Before that he was stationed at the Royal Marine depot at Deal, Kent, England.

ADD

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/182017486 Telegraph 19 March 1935

Captain Leathes arrives at Fremantle.

On his way to Brisbane as the new A.D.C. to the Governor of Queensland …… arrived at Fremantle ….. Orama…..  educated at the Imperial Services College at Windsor and for the last seven years ….. Royal Marines …. Two and a half years in the Mediterranean in HMS Resolution ….. This is his first visit to Australia.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Annie L

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 January 24 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am researching the Leathes and de Mussenden Leathes (it's my husband's family).  I would be really interested to see your article please.
Thanks