Author Topic: Frederick Arthur Morris and Family  (Read 7073 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Arthur Morris and Family
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 07 August 11 02:04 BST (UK) »
You can look for them in the directories available online. Not sure about farming communities ...probably not listed as would be considered rural?...No Richard as a wheelwright, but there's a blacksmith ( a few blacksmith Morris but hard to pinpoint with constant address changes)
1908 http://www.archive.org/stream/torontodirec190800mighuoft#page/n889/mode/2up
1912  Has Frederick at 255 Seaton...you can look for the others  http://www.archive.org/stream/torontodirec191200midiuoft#page/1048/mode/2up
1913 http://www.archive.org/stream/torontodirec191300midiuoft#page/n1109/mode/2up
1914 Fredk at 13 Guelph Ave and Frank W. ( a carpenter) boards with him
http://www.archive.org/stream/torontodirec191400midiuoft#page/n1183/mode/2up
1917 (32 the oaks  Bain ave ) pge 1232 /33 http://ia700201.us.archive.org//load_djvu_applet.php?file=17/items/torontodirec191700midiuoft/torontodirec191700midiuoft.djvu
1918 page 1036 ( that's the right address, he works for Grand Trunk Railway   GTR)
 http://ia600201.us.archive.org//load_djvu_applet.php?file=11/items/torontodirec191800midiuoft/torontodirec191800midiuoft.djvu
1921 http://www.archive.org/stream/torontodirec192100midiuoft#page/1132/mode/2up
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 07 August 11 08:51 BST (UK) »
Speaking of Walter, there is a record at Find My Past in the British Army Service Records database for a Walter Morris born 1884 in Alveley who attested in the Royal Garrison Artillery on 3 Feb 1903. He didn't last long as it says he was discharged 10 Jun 1903 with the reason given being "Not likely to become an efficient soldier."

I think I may have found him on a passenger list for the Tunisian which departed from Liverpool and arrived in Quebec on 8 Jun 1906. The Walter Morris was the right age and was listed as being from Shropshire. He was destined for Toronto. He's on line 10 of the passenger list:
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e147/e003660521.jpg

Jacquie
Excellent work Jacquie ! I have doubled checked his birth year, and luckily there is only one Walter Morris born in that area in 1884  !  Their father was quite a wealthy farmer - would it have been expensive to emmigrate ?

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 07 August 11 22:58 BST (UK) »
Excellent work Jacquie ! I have doubled checked his birth year, and luckily there is only one Walter Morris born in that area in 1884  !  Their father was quite a wealthy farmer - would it have been expensive to emmigrate ?

There is a stamp by his name that says "British bonus allowed" so he most likely came to Canada under some type of immigration scheme so it probably would not have cost much, if anything (depending on the scheme), for passage.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 07 August 11 23:30 BST (UK) »

There is a stamp by his name that says "British bonus allowed" so he most likely came to Canada under some type of immigration scheme so it probably would not have cost much, if anything (depending on the scheme), for passage.

Jacquie

Thanks Jacquie. I wonder what  happened to Walter afterwards... I wonder if he later got accepted for WW1 ?

I have also discovered that Frederick Arthur Morris ( the poor railway guardsman who died) possibly had another son named James Kitchener Morris ?....

Many thanks for your help, it's really amazing what you have discovered !

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 20:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jacquie that's really helpful.  :) I think Dorothy married Albert Barksfield and returned back to the UK by 1916?

From the Ontario marriages database:

Albert Edward Barksfield, 23, born Frieth Buckshire England, son of James Barksfield and Bessie Webb married Dorothy Hilda Morris, 20, born Alveley Shropshire England, daughter of Richard Morris and Sarah A Dowton on 12 Oct 1912 in Toronto. One of the witnesses was Marian Evans who I assume could be the Mammie Evans on the 1911 census.

Albert E. Barksfield and Dorothy Barksfield were on the Transylvania which departed from New York and arrived in Liverpool on 17 May 1915. Their address was listed as Frieth, Henley-on-Thames and their intended future country of permanent residence was listed as England.

And it looks like Edith's sister Marian married Frederick's brother Frank in Toronto:

Marion Evans, 28, born Eturia, England, daughter of Richard Lloyd Evans and Sarah Ann Rowlands married Frank William Morris, 27, born Alveley, England, son of Richard Morris and Sarah Ann Doutton on 28 Aug 1920 in Toronto.

Jacquie
Very interesting...I wonder what happened to Walter and Marion ? Any help or advice would be much appreciated. I wonder what drew people to emigrate ? Why were families so keen to wave off their children..when they knew they may never see them again ??....was it the chance of  of wealth and prosperity ??  :) :) :)

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 23:36 BST (UK) »
I tried to find Walter on the 1911 census but have come up empty so far. I didn't see anything that jumped out in the WWI databases to show he may have signed up. I'll take another look later (have to do something with my daughter first).

I'll see if I can spot anything more for Frank and Marion. JJ's finds should help with that.

As for a birth for James, births from less than 100 years ago are protected by privacy laws so his birth registration wouldn't be available yet if he was born after 1911.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 23:49 BST (UK) »
Possible visit to England... there is a Frank and Marion Morris on the Ascania which departed from Montreal and arrived in Liverpool on 28 Jun 1951. The passenger list indicates their last permanent residence was Canada and their future permanent residence was "other part of the British Empire". The UK address listed for them was 108 Beadley Hill, Kidderminster. Marion was 58 while Frank was 57 and a mechanic.

Now off to help my daughter.

Jacquie

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 11 August 11 10:48 BST (UK) »
Possible visit to England... there is a Frank and Marion Morris on the Ascania which departed from Montreal and arrived in Liverpool on 28 Jun 1951. The passenger list indicates their last permanent residence was Canada and their future permanent residence was "other part of the British Empire". The UK address listed for them was 108 Beadley Hill, Kidderminster. Marion was 58 while Frank was 57 and a mechanic.

Now off to help my daughter.

Jacquie

Kidderminster !! excellent.... they had family in Franche Road Kidderminster at this time, (kidderminster is only 6 miles from his birthpalce Alveley).. thanks Jacquie much appreciated