Author Topic: Captain John Patterson Gatehouse  (Read 9242 times)

Offline ltaid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Captain John Patterson Gatehouse
« on: Saturday 06 August 11 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hi. Please can anyone help add to my research on John Patterson, mariner, (1861 England Census), born in Scotland about 1825. He  married Margaret Robertson 10th February 1954 at Valleyfield, parish of Tongland, Kirkcudbrightshire (this information is stated on the birth certificate of their son Robert Paterson spelled with one 't' born in Girthon parish 6th September 1867)
Captain John Patterson died at sea on 4th April 1868.
Source Information:
Ancestry.com. England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1861-1941
His wife Margaret remarried. Her second husband was named John Fisher (1871 Scotland Census). They lived in the parish of Girthon, Kirkcudbrightshire.
 I have not been able to locate a death certificate for Captain John Patterson or find the names of his parents. Can't trace a marriage certificate for John Patterson and Margaret Robertson either. I would be very grateful if anyone could find out his parents' names and where exactly in Scotland John Patterson was born.

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
Re: Captain John Patterson Gatehouse
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 December 11 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Inscription 19.02 : Girthon Cemetery
In memory of John Fisher who died 24th Sept. 1894 aged 53 years. Also Capt. John Patterson, who died at sea 4th April 1867, aged 44 years. Also Alexander Fisher, eldest son of the above John Fisher, who died at Whithorn, 12th Octr 1897 aged 28 years. Margaret Fisher, his wife, died 19th Feby 1902 aged 85 years. Also William Patterson, eldest son of the above John Patterson, who died at the Western Infirmary, Glasgow 11th Octr.1920, aged 64 years. Interred in Western Necropolis. Also Henry Fisher, youngest son of the above John Fisher, who died at Glasgow, 22nd April 1927, aged 53 years. Also gunner G.A.Fisher, killed in France 18th April 1916, and buried in Bruay Communal Cemetery, aged 31 years.

is this who you are looking for?

akc
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline ltaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 December 11 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes. Thank you. This is the very person. I have not been able to  find out where his death would be registered having died at sea. I know he did live in Liverpool for a time. His wife Margaret returned to gatehouse, but I would dearly like to find out more about captain John Patterson, his fate and where we're his roots.

Offline Old82Galstonian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 June 17 12:20 BST (UK) »
New to RootsChat, on behalf of a nephew I too have noted Captain John Patterson featured in his family history, and, I appreciate noting some information about him in your posting from 2011, Have you had any success in finding further information about his death at sea, and, his birthplace?

Offline ltaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 June 17 07:43 BST (UK) »
The postings you see are my only use of roots chat to date. Yesterday I replied through a personal message to you. Not sure how this all works. I have not found out where Captain John Patterson actually died or what boat he was on at the time, but recently discovered that he was born in the parish of Borgue in1827. His Father was called Samuel Patterson an agricultural worker who had come across from Ireland. If you tell me where you are at with your research I may be able to fill in some gaps.

Offline Old82Galstonian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 June 17 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hi! Thank you for your response. My research primarily relates to the family 'Fisher' i.e Margaret Patterson (m.s. Robertson) second marriage on the 26th July, 1869, to John Fisher (b. Ireland), however, I have been intrigued by the background to Margaret's 1st husband, John Patterson, and particularly his death.

1. I have visited the Memorial stone in Girthon Cemetery verifying his death at sea on the 4th April, 1867, but like you I have had no success in finding details.

2. I had established details of his marriage from having a copy of his son Robert's birth certificate, but, at present I also have no details as to his place of birth or his parentage; I now note Borgue (birth) and Samuel Patterson (father) and I would be grateful for any additional detail.

3. Margaret Robertson's 2nd marriage in 1869 was just over 2 years after John Patterson's death, and, I have a copy of the 1871 Census recording John and Margaret Fisher living at High Street, Gatehouse-of-Fleet with their 1st born - Alexander Fisher - and with step-children Patterson viz.,

William       -       15       -        b. Kirkcudbright
John           -       13       -        b. England
Margaret A  -        7        -        b. Gatehouse-of-Fleet
Jeanie         -        5        -        b.           "
Robert        -        3        -        b.           "

Incidental to my research of Family 'Fisher' records, I also have some records pertaining to those Pattersons viz.,

1881     Census (LDS)              Margaret Patterson
1889     Marriage                     Margaret Ann Patterson    to    Robert McDowall
1901     Census                             "          "        "        with      "         "          and family
1920     Death                         William Patterson

Please let me know if you would like to have further detail.

5. Being solely interested in Margaret Robertson's marriage to John Patterson, if you are able to provide any additional information on their stay(s) in England, and, details of John's parents, this would help me to 'round-off' the background on Margaret's 1st marriage.

6. As to John Patterson's death, I have considered there may have been a newspaper report on this and a recent enquiry led to Archives[AT]liverpool.gov.uk suggesting the most likely newspaper to have reported this would be the 'Liverpool Mercury' which is on microfilm freely available for personal research during library opening hours. The Archives also has a microfiche index of marine deaths but - again - this can only be viewed self-service on site! However, the Library apparently has a Research Officer who will undertake searches - for a fee - and the contact is robert.hull[AT]liverpool.gov.uk - my interest being minor does not really merit my hiring his professional services!

Once again, thank you.

Email addresses - replace [AT] with @.

Offline ltaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 08:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your information on where I might find details of John Patterson's death. I shall email the named person at the Archive and enquire about the research service. I do have more detailed info about John to pass to you. I will post it on this site as soon as I have the opportunity to type it up.

Offline ltaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 June 17 08:34 BST (UK) »
John Patterson was born on 29th March 1827 to Samuel Patterson, a servant, of Gategill, in the parish of Borgue and Anne Stott of Gatehouse. His parents were married in Gatehouse in November 1826. Samuel Patterson was born in Ireland around 1800 and Anne Stott in Gatehouse around 1805.

In 1841 the family lived at Conchieton in Borgue parish. Samuel was an agricultural worker. There were 3 children, John (14), Jane (12) and Samuel (10).
By 1851 they were at Boreland of Borgue. Two more children had been born, William (9) and James (8). Samuel Patterson was described as a farm labourer. The 3 older children had all left home.
In 1861 Samuel and Anne were at Muiryard, Borgue parish. A son James (18) was living with them. Interestingly enough James' occupation is given as tailor.
Samuel Patterson died at Tannymass, Borgue parish, in 1869. His parents, presumably left behind in Ireland, were Samuel Patterson, Farmer, and Agnes Wallace.
Anne Stott died in Millburn Street Kirkcudbright in 1876. Her parents were John Stott, labourer and Ruth McBride.
Although Gategill, Muiryard and Tannymass are all in the parish of Borgue, they lie to the north of the main A75 between Gatehouse and Twynholm off the Old Military Road.

John Patterson, born 1827, got his seaman's ticket, no. 272612, at age 18. This was in 1845. He sailed out of Liverpool for several years.
Then it seems he was for a time working on ships sailing out of Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada. By 1852 he was noted as Master of several ships before gaining his official Master Mariner's ticket, no. 11506, in 1854. The address on his ticket is given as 32 Park Street, Toxteth Park, Liverpool. Have found no information as yet about him or the ships he sailed on between 1854 and his death.
He married Margaret Robertson in Borgue parish in 1854. Their first child a daughter died. Their second child William was born in Union Street, Kirkcudbright in 1855.
In 1861 he was living in Park Street, Toxteth Park, Liverpool, with wife Margaret and two children, William (5) born Scotland and John (3) born Liverpool.
According to your research, Margaret Robertson, must have been back in Gatehouse by 1864.
 I know nothing more about John Patterson except that the date given for his death at sea in the England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966 is 4th April 1868 (not 1867 as written on the headstone in Gatehouse). Place of death on this calendar is stated as Scotland.
I agree that John's story is very intriguing! Lots to discover yet.

Offline Old82Galstonian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 June 17 10:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for the information you provided. I shall take time to review this over a late breakfast! I shall make further comment soonest.