Author Topic: Austalian Squadron  (Read 1416 times)

Offline saxonw.

• RootsChat Senior
  • So many honest folk but it's the liars and cheats
    • View Profile
Austalian Squadron
« on: Sunday 07 August 11 11:55 BST (UK) »
Would the crew lists for the Royal Austalian squadron which I understand was the precursor to the RAN in 1898 be in the National Archives or where?
Warks -Blundell, Stagg,Guest,Jennings<br />Ireland -Guest , Connor, Nowlan/Nolan,Hemming<br />Norfolk-Stagg<br />Cardigan-Jones<br />Glamorgan- David<br />Monmouth  and Glos-Witts, Bowsher<br />Derby Leics and Notts: Roulstone, Morley,Astle, Poxon , Bywater, Sanderson, Barnett, Fletcher<br />Hants- Jennings<br />Cornwall- Trestain, Stirrup,Gyles, Pearce, Cock<br />Devon- Hutchin(g)s , Griffey,Davies<br />Middlesex- Stirrup

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Austalian Squadron
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 August 11 23:08 BST (UK) »
The NA has ship's muster books up to 1878. If you know the ship's name then search for it on the NA catalogue (without HMS).

There are also some surgeons logs, but you need to search for australian station

Ken

Offline saxonw.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 August 11 08:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. I don't appear to be having a lot of  success. The ship I am looking for is the Waterwitch.
Warks -Blundell, Stagg,Guest,Jennings<br />Ireland -Guest , Connor, Nowlan/Nolan,Hemming<br />Norfolk-Stagg<br />Cardigan-Jones<br />Glamorgan- David<br />Monmouth  and Glos-Witts, Bowsher<br />Derby Leics and Notts: Roulstone, Morley,Astle, Poxon , Bywater, Sanderson, Barnett, Fletcher<br />Hants- Jennings<br />Cornwall- Trestain, Stirrup,Gyles, Pearce, Cock<br />Devon- Hutchin(g)s , Griffey,Davies<br />Middlesex- Stirrup

Offline saxonw.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 20:35 BST (UK) »
Ok don't believe everything you read in the press. It could be HMS Torch I'm looking for. How do I go about finding further info about her crew?

Offline saxonw.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 20:36 BST (UK) »
BTW NA UK or NA Aus?

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi saxon :)

If you go to the National Archives (UK) and search for "australia station" (with the quotes) you will get lots of hits. 

Cheers
Prue

Offline saxonw.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 22:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks