Author Topic: tenaments  (Read 1711 times)

Offline gina45

• RootsChat Member
  • Catherine Leahy and Francis Meates
    • View Profile
tenaments
« on: Sunday 07 August 11 16:51 BST (UK) »
can anyone tell me if 18 thomas street during the 1800s and 1900s was a tenement building.. and has any one any photos of thomas street around 1881...
brennan o reilly leahy regan moore howlin meates/mates penston, toole, crowley adams

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: tenaments
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 August 11 16:59 BST (UK) »
The status of buildings changed over time, and many of the tenement buildings were older grand houses and terraces built for well off families.

The decline in these happen in two main phases, the first after the act of union in 1801 as many of the gentry moved back to parliament in London, and the second soon after the famine as the city was flooded with people. Around the same time as this the townships in the suburbs (Rathmines, Pembroke, Drumcondra etc) were starting to expand and develop, so many of the well-off families moved out to these. When this occurred the buildings were divided up and rented out - often each family ended up with a single room, with a few partitions..

What date do you have the reference to number 18 ?
The numbers can alter over time and I need a starting point to check the street listings.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline gina45

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 August 11 17:16 BST (UK) »
my grandmother frances penston was born in 18 thomas street in 1881 and then moved to pembroke when she was about four..... but i dont think they were well off.. their father george penston was a watchman.. they lived in pembroke cottages as i seen this in the census
brennan o reilly leahy regan moore howlin meates/mates penston, toole, crowley adams

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 August 11 17:50 BST (UK) »

18 Thomas Street
    John Bebe & Co., wholesale grocers, wine & spirit merchants
    Mrs Bebe - residence 11 Fitzgibbon Street

same listing in 1879

Maybe your Penston family lived in rented accommodation over the business, or George worked for Mr. Bebe ?

Shane 
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline gina45

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 August 11 18:06 BST (UK) »
i will recheck my dates and get back to you.. but maybe yes he did work for him.. i have no clue..

Offline gina45

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 August 11 12:23 BST (UK) »
yep it was 1881

Offline Penston

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 April 21 13:36 BST (UK) »
There's a Thomas Street in Ringsend. It doesn't appear on Google Maps, but you can clearly see it on older maps of Dublin, where Bridge Street turns onto Irishtown Road (see this post). This part of the village wasn't tenaments - they were on the side streets off of Thorncastle Street.

George lived at other addresses in Ringsend, including 21 Pembroke Cottages and 2 Bridge Street. I'm descended from his brother, William, who lived in Thorncastle Street. They had another brother, Bernard Brian (everyone called him by his middle name), who lived in a few places in the city centre - 5 Denzille Lane, 14 Grants Row, 9 Mark's Lane, 39 Power's Court, 8 McGuinness's Court (off Lombard Street) and 2 Gloucester Street.

They originally came from Cronellard, next to Tara Hill in Wexford. Their parents were John Penston and Margaret Canavan. The Penston's had been tenant farmers in Cronellard, which belonged to the Earl of Courtown, probably since the mid 1700's. The family became poverty stricken when John fell into arrears shortly after the Great Famine.