Author Topic: Wicklow Cemeteries  (Read 11165 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Wicklow Cemeteries
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 August 11 22:03 BST (UK) »
I hoping that the future plans by Dept. of Tourism will eventually lead to the IFHF records ending up on the IrishGenealogy website. There has been progress by the new minister in getting details available and I believe he has already shown interest in centralizing access and looking into lifting the restriction on the 1926 census ... although I think putting the older parish details online would be much more a more valuable item to concentrate on first.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 August 11 22:32 BST (UK) »
Shane

I couldn't agree more.  My understanding is that at least some, if not all, of the parish record transcriptions on IFHF were originally funded under FAS schemes, i.e. public money.  If this is true, there is surely a strong case for making the records freely available on irishgenealogy.ie.  I gather that the transcripts might not have been computerised originally and I can understand that making them available online involves additional cost but the current charges for accessing those records online are exorbitant.  I hope the Minister is successful in his efforts.  In the meantime, wouldn't it be a more reasonable proposition if IFHF records were charged for on a time rather than a per record basis (as, for example the IT archive or some of the commercial genealogy sites).

Dermo 
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 13:41 BST (UK) »
Just a postscript to this thread. I was in the National Archives and went through Cantwell's Memorials for Wicklow.  I found some possible relatives among the headstones listed for Leitrim.
Regarding Dunlavin, it turns out that there is an "old" Dunlavin graveyard with some listings - unfortunately none for my people.  It seems the Dunlavin RC Church of St Nicholas of Myra may go back a long while.  Cantwell mentions a stone that used to be inside the graveyard, dated 1815, acknowledging the donation of land for the "chapel ground and precincts" by a local landowner.  Apparently, the stone was removed when a Marian Year shrine was built.

Dermo
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline dillonking

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 21 August 11 17:07 BST (UK) »
I agree with you on the exhorbitant charges Dermo. I have spent about 400 euros for a handful of useful records to me and what really annoys me is that sometimes the same record has been reproduced twice with a slight change in spelling and I paid ten euros to look at an identical certificate. If the site was founded with public money I think we should contribute to the cost but it should perhaps be on a membership basis so that for a set charge you can consult as many records as you need for a month or whatever.
Dublin : King, Burgess, Toole, Martin, Keogh
 Wicklow : Toole, Burgess, , Mc Loughlin, Doyle,  Warren,
Armagh: Reynolds Vallely
Monoghan: Burgess
Keogh. Delgany : Doyle White and possibly McLoughlin
Carlow: Dillon, Delaney
Unknown county: Sweeney and Moran. Sweeneys went to Lpool 1840s and Michael Moran 1820s