Author Topic: Vimy Ridge Farm,Guelph - Completed  (Read 17869 times)

Offline madand

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Vimy Ridge Farm,Guelph
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 October 11 00:06 BST (UK) »
We are now in Canada and yesterday searched the archives in Ottawa. We found that my father - in - law was sent to the farm of a Lewis Binkley in Carlisle, Ontario. We are hoping to visit Carlisle on Tuesday. Does anyone know how we can find the name of the farm.

Offline vbain

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 October 11 00:32 BST (UK) »
I live in Puslinch.
Your best bet would be to go to the University of Guelph - I believe the earliest agricultural college. They have many of the records.
Wounded soldiers would  mend and learn agricultural skills.
You might also contact the The Wellington archives, in Fergus, Ontario..
They would have a great deal of information

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 October 11 00:50 BST (UK) »
I did a search to find where Carlisle was and it is a community in Flamborough, Hamilton, Ontario. It also states that Carlisle lies at the intersection of Carlisle Road and Centre Road about 15 km north of Waterdown.

I went back to the 1911 census to see if I could find Lewis Binkley and it appears that they lived in Ward 4 and he was a farmer. The 1901 and 1911 census only list him and his wife so I don't think they ever had children. Sadly, the names of the farms aren't included on the census. I also went to www.canada411.ca to see if any Binkley's still lived in Carlisle and nothing. There is a branch of the Hamilton Public library in Carlisle but it is not open on Sundays. I think I would contact the Hamilton Public Library (main) to see if they have any records that could help you.

www.myhamilton.ca/public-library

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 October 11 00:56 BST (UK) »
The Binkley family were first settlers in Carlisle , so the townspeople/area residents may be able to point you in the right direction. He's had his training, so was now was going to likely help this  couple as a paid farm help. The farms were for the most part individually owned and so not named other than for the owner...
I would make sure someone might be willing to lead you there and back to show you the place if it still interests you, or even exists as a farm?
http://www.reynolds-lake.ca/genealogy/histories/Carlisle/main.php
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=30201
( added: most likely the one below)

This site say: Report on Faunal Remains from the Binkley Farm Site, Hamilton
which sounds as though it may no longer have been a farm back in 1990 but hard to say
http://www.unb.ca/fredericton/arts/departments/anthropology/pdfs/dwblackshortcvfeb09.pdf

Wait there was also one born 1885 as well, http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=30921 married for second time in 1929, born, lived & died in Carlisle...
http://www.e-familytree.net/f2134.htm#f63218
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=roncox&id=I43400
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 02 October 11 01:45 BST (UK) »
I kept looking for Lewis Binkley as it just didn't seem like the first one that I found would be the one as he would have been around 70 in 1930.

I found Lewis Edwin Binkley born in 1885, Carlisle, Ontario
son of Harmannus and Rebecca, farmers
Wentworth South, Flamborough East

In 1911, he is living with his brother Howard, mother Rebecca, widow at lot 9, concession 7 Wentworth, East Flamborough, all farmers. He is listed as 25 in 1911 and this would make a lot more sense.

This particular Lewis E. Binkley married in Dec 1929 Campbellville, Ontario and died 28 Feb 1954 in Carlisle, On.

As of 1995, there was a living daughter with the married name of Stroud. Also, grandchildren with the surname Stroud. I can't post the names of the living but I did do a check of the names through canada 411 and couldn't find a definite match that I could give you.

This particular Brinkley family, parents, siblings etc. are all buried at Carlisle Cemetery so I would think that the farm would not be all that far from the cemetery and church. You may never find the exact farm but may be able to find the general vicinity.

Hope that this helps in your search.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 October 11 02:54 BST (UK) »
The 2 children have descendants listed on the site I gave you with contact info, but unfortunately one is in Winnipeg and the other in Medicine Hat... a family memeber would have been great to show you around, but looks as though you'll have to wing it...
Good luck with your search J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 03 October 11 19:07 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Canada!  Weather hasn't been very nice here in Ontario, but the sun is supposed to come out again on Wednesday  :)

My grandma was actually born at Lot 1, Con 7 in Carlisle  :) 

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline madand

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 02:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your good wishes. We are planning to visit Carlisle tomorrow as we fly home on Thursday. Are places still known as lots and concessions?  Do you know much about Carlisle?

Offline vbain

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 14:22 BST (UK) »
A concession is the land between two roads.
It later was used to designated roads. So, if roads were being numbered, say, from west to east, The first road that was  encountered would be Concession 1 FRONT
The next road would be concession 1 Rear
 When I stood  in Concession 2, facing north,I would see Con.2 Rear to my left, and Concession 3 Front on my right.