Author Topic: Reayboy's Scavenger Hunt... Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 19921 times)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
Re: Reayboy's Scavenger Hunt... Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 14:58 BST (UK) »
On the 1891 census, the Bedminster Brandts have children Trina (21), Dorothea (18), Mau? (16), Friedrich (12) and Hinrichetta (11)

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 15:04 BST (UK) »
The Frederick Louisa Brandt born and dying in Bedminster certainly threw me but they do appear by some sort of bizarre coincidence to be a different set of people. Frederick and Louisa married in 1867. No children with them in the 1871...maybe they did not have any.

Spider...Caroline did not die in the asylum, she got out in June 1881 after spending six months there.

She was living at 50 Windosr Terrace, Totterdown, Bristol, at the time of her husband's death (he died there too) and when she returned from the asylum.  She died on June 13 1884, and is buried in Arnos Vale. Strangely, she is buried with a young man I believe, named Frederick Anderson. I do not know when he died at the cemetery did not give out that information. I cannot see any Anderson's being related, but it may be some clue...I do not know. The headstone for Caroline and Frederick is worn away so no date of death for him to help determine who he is/was.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 15:12 BST (UK) »
Who was the informant for Caroline's death? 

Looks like John Brandt (Frederick's father) also spent time in the Stapleton workhouse (1871 census).  (Incidently, did you see that he was a private in the Kings Royal Rifle Corps - National Archives ref: WO97 / 725 / 105, and was epileptic)

Online Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 15:14 BST (UK) »
Well- the freeBMD reg for Moses's death is definitely for the Bedminster reg district. Was their Bristol address covered by that area? It doesn't look as though any part of Bristol was actually in that district in 1880.

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/bedminster.html

So, 3 q's from that.
1. the q above - was their Bristol address in this reg district?

If not, then
2. Is this the right Moses Wertheim (how many could there have been?!)
3. Why Bedminster if they didn't live there? Family connection?

ETA - Caroline's death was also reg'd in Bedminster so maybe my lack of knowledge of Bristol geog is showing!
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 15:29 BST (UK) »
I have Moses' death certificate, registered in the sub-district of Bedminster in the "Counties of Bristol and Somerset", but of course Bristol was in Gloucestershire for a bit too. The address he died in , 50 Windsor Terrace, was part of Bristol that later became known as Totterdown, famous for it's painted houses on the hilltop on the south side of the river Avon. Moses' will states that 50 Windsor Terrace was in Totterdown, Bristol.

This is definitely my man. There are no other Moses Wertheim's in the country except for one of his grandsons who shared his name (born 1874 in Wales).

So it would appear that Totterdown fell under Bedminster at this time.

To answer your question, Spider, I didn't know that John was with the military. nor that he had epilepsy. That may explain why Fredeick was born in Ireland??? John could have served there. Hmmm.

The informant on Caroline's death was her daughter Rebecca Gidley, residing at 50 Windsor Terrace. She and her husband later moved to the parallel street, Green Street.

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 15:35 BST (UK) »
just bookmarking not entirely sure how much time i have this week not related to the Wernhams from the last hunt are you ?  ;D
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 15:39 BST (UK) »
Lol Toni...I wish! They might know something about these two sisters ha  :P

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 15:48 BST (UK) »
Deaths are registered in the area they occurred which may not be where the deceased was living at the time for example if I was  doing a spot of shopping in London and one of those rioters hit me on the head with a stolen TV and I died then my death would be registered in London and not in Brighton where I live nearby
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline wifeywebb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 00:15 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this helps but :- 1911 shows a Frederick "Bryant", aged 67 in Stapleton workhouse!