Author Topic: Patrick Ward  (Read 2658 times)

Offline TforMcNab

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Patrick Ward
« on: Tuesday 09 August 11 12:46 BST (UK) »
I know I am probably looking for a needle in a haystack, but does anyone have any suggestions as to where to look for Patrick Ward, born about 1786 in Belfast, immigrating to Nova Scotia (probably through New England) in 1810?  I have no background for him but his children were named Joshua and Diademia and his wife is said to be Judy - I have no surname for her.  Thanks for your time.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Ward
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 12:51 BST (UK) »
Very difficult since few church records survive pre-1800. Do you know where in Nova Scotia Patrick settled? Diademia (and variants is a fairly common girls name in my Nova Scotia families so the name may have been acquired in canada rqather than being a Ward family name).

Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline TforMcNab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 13:10 BST (UK) »
He appears to have come through New England with a gentleman by the name of Lutheran Morris.  Their children married into each other's families.  Patrick settled first at Apple River, Cumberland County, Nova Scotia, and then finally settled down in Advocate Harbour, Cumberland County, Nova Scotia.  He is my greatx4-grandfather.  Family legend says he was military and I found two land grants given to a Patrick Ward in other areas of the province but he never settled on them and they were escheated back to the Crown.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 13:23 BST (UK) »
Before you can start searching for any survivng records you need to know where he was from (parish if not actual townland not just the county).

Suggest checking through all possible Canadian records to look for clues (if all else fails you might at least find his wife's full name)- gravestones, certificates, church records, local histories, etc.
Cumberland County Genweb has some resources to start with- Apple River was, and I think still is, rather rural so not sure exactly what is available in the way of local recourds.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nscumber/

Offline TforMcNab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 13:28 BST (UK) »
Sorry to mislead...I've already gone through all of the Nova Scotia records and am a member of the Cumberland County group.  I was hoping that it may "ring bells" for someone here.

Offline TforMcNab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 13:29 BST (UK) »
He is said to be from Belfast and was a member of the Orange Lodge.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 13:41 BST (UK) »
"From Belfast" may mean that he was born there or lived there before leaving Ireland but even if born in Belfast still not easy to find information. Could have been Church of Ireland, Presbyterian, Methodist, etc. and most church records don't go back before 1800.

Offline jimchelsea

• RootsChat Senior
  • Cosby
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi
UHF have a record of a Patrick Ward born 1788 County Down, fathers name Maurice.
you need to pay to see the full record though.
regards
jim
Cosby s from Gilford and Banbridge areas pre 1890

Offline Run.woman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 May 21 19:40 BST (UK) »
I believe Reply #2 is your best guide.  Patrick Ward, married to a woman named Judith, was the father of Diademia Ward (called "Damy") b 1796-d 1856.  I believe Patrick was my Greatx5 Grandfather who came to Advocate Harbour, Nova Scotia sometime between 1755 and 1800.  I will quote what my Grandmother told me in 1967 (transcribed by me!) 

"Patrick Ward married his wife (Judy?) before coming to Advocate.  He first settled in Shepody Bay, New Brunswick, then moved to West Apple River and finally to Advocate in 1820.  He came soon after Luther Morris.  They had to travel by stream and through dense forest.  One child died in West Apple River.  The reason for moving was by Mrs. Ward’s insistence.  She was alone in a log cabin and thought she heard a knock on the door.  When she opened the door, she looked straight into the eyes of a great bear.  Mrs. Ward proceeded to close and bar the door.  Patrick received 2 grants of land between one owned by Samuel Morris Jr. (on the West) and Robb Spicer (on the East).  His daughter Diademia married Samuel Morris and Joshua married a girl named Dorothy.  Mr. and Mrs. Ward and Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Morris Sr. were buried in the Ward burying ground.
Joshua Ward (son of Patrick) had a son Charles.  Charles was unusual because he was very educated – he read a great deal, was magistrate, Customs Officer, conducted District Business in Amherst and surveyed in the area.  He married Hannah Hazel, a sister of the Mary [Hazel] who married John Blenkhorn [another ancestor of mine].  Charles died (?) Sept. 27, 1879.
Patrick Ward was noted for being a runner –  he was always sent for if extra speed was required to chase or round up something.
Joshua Ward Jr. was noted for strength and carried a huge anchor up the beach some distance.  He was injured when putting down the anchor.  He eventually died of serious injuries caused by the fluke penetrating his lungs."