Author Topic: SHERWOOD - Monasterevin, Kildare  (Read 5736 times)

Offline Casey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
SHERWOOD - Monasterevin, Kildare
« on: Wednesday 10 August 11 08:20 BST (UK) »
Seeking any reference to the SHERWOOD family of Ivy House, Monasterevin, Kildare in particular ROBERT SHERWOOD bc 1756 son of JOHN SHERWOOD & Mary. He married (1) Unknown Harrison c 1779 and then (2) Bridget Hannah Dunn c 1820.
Robert Sherwood died in NSW - 'At his residence, Balmain, on the 21st September, Mr. Robert Sherwood, aged 104 years, late of Malpes Court, New England, and formerly of Ivy House, County Kildare, Ireland. He served forty-two years in the army, and was highly respected by all who knew him.'
Robert and his 2nd wife and assorted family members immigrated to NSW in 1840 per 'Premier'. Ships documents have him as a Farmer aged 39 yrs ( he was really  84) and his wife as 35 ( really 50)  However, his childrens ages are correct.
I can find no references to his 42 yrs in the Army.Any information at all would be welcome.
Cheers
Dempsey Hogarth Clark Raftery Emery

Offline Jurlina

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SHERWOOD - Monasterevin, Kildare
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 November 11 01:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Casey,

Michele Jurlina here, and Robert and Bridget are my fourth great grandparents.

I have sent you messages in other forums, but have not had a reply, although you may be in contact with my cousin, Glenys Shorter.

I do wonder that Robert Sherwood (84) could be confused with Robert Sherwood (39). However, it is quite feasible that Bridget, as a 30 year old woman, would have started her family, and it is certainly possible that her aged husband could be the father.

Our own research and oral family history confirms that our ancestry is from Monasterevin, and the passenger information from the Premier reinforces our existing information that:

Bridget (35- daughter of John and Ann Dunn) arrived on board the "Premier" 1 July 1840 with her husband Robert (39??  - son of John and Mary) and children Alice (25), WIlliam (19), Emily (17), Robert (16), Nelson (14), Joseph (10), Emily (6), and Margaret (4). They were "Bounty Immigrants" to New South Wales from Monasterevan, Co. Kildare, Ireland.

The records I have sourced at NSW State Archives state that Robert , son of a farmer, was a Cotton Weaver (not a farmer) and of the Protestant religion and Bridget is described as a House Servant by occupation.

There is a also document which has been transcribed from the original for immigration records held by the NSW State archives, which clearly describes Emily, the daughter of Robert and Bridget on board the same ship (Premier), as a 17yo single woman, a Child's md. by occupation, and of the Protestant religion. It also says she is sister to Alice and William.

I believe that a  discrepancy has occurred as Emily would have been 16 years at embarkation, and therefore listed as a child (perhaps a transcription error has made "6" years, not 16?). Having turned 17 years en voyage, she is now entered on immigration in NSW as a single young woman, hence her own separate entry as for her older siblings, Alice and William. 

Also, as Robert and Bridget's marriage March 20 1818 in Monasterevin, Leinster, and given Bridget's age, she may only be mother to William (my 3rd GGfather), Emily, Robert, Nelson, Joseph and Margaret. The older children being presumably from his Robert's first marriage. As Alice married a Baker, and the names are so common, I have not been able to document this (yet).

William Dunn Sherwood married my 3rdGGrandmother, Catherine, on arrival in NSW.  She travelled with the family (according to my grandmother's recount) as a nanny to the younger children. Catherine Ryan, daughter of William Ryan and Margaret nee Sheridan) is certainly listed in the passenger list of the "Premier", and was also from Monasterevin.

I do have more info of their descendants, if you are interested...

Regards,
Michele

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SHERWOOD - Monasterevin, Kildare
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 July 17 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Michele, you mentioned I think that you weren't sure of Alice Baker nee Sherwood's death details and therefore whether she was the child of Robert Sherwood's first or second marriage.

That was 6 years ago of course and you may well have worked it out in the meantime, but Alice died in 1902 in Annandale. Her death notice says she was the widow of John Baker of Taylor's Arm, Nambucca River. The NSW BDM index lists her parents as Robert & Sarah. I don't have her death certificate.

I'm researching Alice and her parents for a friend of mine who is a great great great grandchild of Alice and am quite happy to share the info I've gathered (not much).