Author Topic: Worcestershire - Ombersley – John Cupper – 1780’s to 1830’s  (Read 7663 times)

Offline Dat402

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Worcestershire - Ombersley – John Cupper – 1780’s to 1830’s
« on: Wednesday 10 August 11 09:57 BST (UK) »
My primary interest is John Cupper shown in the census returns for 1841(25 therefore circa 1816) and 1851, married to Elizabeth. He is shown in the census of 1851, with a brother and sister James and Ann, who where the children of John Cupper & Mary Pugh who married in 1826 ? John Cupper Snr. being a widow at the time.
There is a John Cupper baptised on the 1/8/1813 to a John Cupper and Hannah. Does anyone know if this is the first union for John Cupper Snr.?
There is also a John Cupper and Dinah/Deanna who have children Elizabeth & Thomas in 1815 and 1820 respectively and I have put the two together on no firm foundation.
Is it possible that John Cupper Snr was infact married three times and all the children are his ?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Turner (Cardiff); Turtle; David; Stirrup (Swansea & Westminster); Morgan; Gyles
(My side)
Neale (Birmingham & Shabbington Bucks); Preston; Usher; Loxley;Thompson; Connolley; Stanton; Rudge; Noke; Keast; Enderby
(Wife's Side)

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
Re: Worcestershire - Ombersley – John Cupper – 1780’s to 1830’s
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 August 11 10:59 BST (UK) »
Hi There

If I were you I would make a thorough search of the Ombersley parish registers as I think thats where the Cupper's came from - I also beleive that most of them were Fruiterers & market Gardeners

Good luck with your research

All the very best

Phil
Weston-super-Mare

ps there are Cupper researchers in Australia who came over to this country some years ago & visited Crossway Green, Hartlebury among other places - they may be able to help you if you can get in touch with them through the Australia pages on this site of by use of other forums
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 August 11 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Again

I forgot to mention that I am relaited to the Cupper's of Crossway Green, Hartlebury but am not actively researching that family yet as I have enough to do with all the other lines of research I am persuing

All the very best

Phil
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline CRodda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 September 11 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I am also researching the Cuppers of Ombersley around this time. I don't know if I can help you or not, but here is the information I have on my own family line:

1871. Comhampton, Ombersley, Worcestershire.
Thomas Cupper 55 Shoemaker.
Elizabeth Cupper 46.
William Cupper 21. Son.
John Cupper 14 Son.
Thomas Cupper 10 Son.
Ellen Cupper 6 Dau.

All born Ombersley.

1861. Borley, Ombersley, Worcestershire.
Thomas Cupper 46 Shoemaker.
Elizabeth Cupper 36.
William Cupper 11.
Mary Ann Cupper 9.
John Cupper 4.
Thomas Cupper 7MO.

All born Ombersley.

1851. Borley, Ombersley, Worcestershire.
Thomas Cupper 34 Shoemaker.
Elizabeth Cupper 26.
William Cupper 1.

All born Ombersley.

Ages rounded up or down.
1841. Ombersley
John Cupper 25 Shoemaker.
Elizabeth Cupper 25.
Mary Cupper 1 6MO.
Thomas Cupper 20.

I just found this link while writing to you.

http://www.myheritage.com/site-family-tree-117009941/chambers?familyTreeID=4&rootIndividualID=4000207

Hopefully it will work for you, because I think it may give you some answers :)

I hope this helps,
CRodda.
Melbourne, Australia.

Offline Dat402

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 September 11 13:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you both.

Phil - I missed your reply when sent and have only just found it. I have obtained the parish registers for Ombersley from Parish Chest and have had a little success from those.

Crodda - Thank you for that, I started this mission when I was in Adelaide in February this year with my sister in law, and we sat down to pen what we could of her lineage. At that stage we thought Cupper was actually Buppen because of handwriting. So when I returned to England I made a greater effort from the 30 odd people we could think of.

My confusion with regard to John Cupper is as follows from the Ombersley parish records

1/8/1813 John Cupper is baptised parents John Cupper & Hannah
6/2/1820 Thomas Cupper is baptised to John Cupper & Dinah
23/7/1815 Elizabeth Cupper is baptised to John Cupper & Deanna

John Cupper goes on to have four children with Mary Pugh, Edward, Henry, Sarah & James. ( Married 30/9/1825)

My primary interest is Elizabeth who marries James Neale, my late wife being a Neale two generations later.
Have you Thomas's parents in your research ?

DT
(My side)
Neale (Birmingham & Shabbington Bucks); Preston; Usher; Loxley;Thompson; Connolley; Stanton; Rudge; Noke; Keast; Enderby
(Wife's Side)

Offline CRodda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 September 11 14:03 BST (UK) »
I don't have any additional information on Thomas' parents, John and Dinah, other than what I found on that website link earlier tonight.
As far as I can tell:
Dinah, Deanna and Hannah are all the same person. Dinah and Deanna are shortenings of Diana-Hannah, her actual name.

According to this site, John and Mary, his second wife, had 4 children (although you obviously have discovered others):
Sarah 1828-1846
James 1831-1869
Anne b. 1832
Henry b. 1835

John Cupper b. 1791.
Dinah (Diana-Hannah) Cupper 1783-c. 1819
Their children:
William Cupper b. 1812
John Cupper b. 1813
Elizabeth Cupper b. 1815
Thomas Cupper b. 1820     --     Dinah (according to the site) died c. 1819, so this date is not necessarily exact (perhaps she died in childbirth??)

Once again, almost all of this information comes from linked site which I only found tonight, and so I can't assure its accuracy. In terms of actual records, you seem to have the actual records, which I only have a couple of through look-ups that kind people on this site have given me (you actually have some dates and information that I do not have, so thankyou! :) )

I hope this helps,
C. Rodda.

Offline Dat402

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 September 11 17:07 BST (UK) »
C.Rodda

Yes I was thinking along the same lines that all three were the same person. The baptisms from Ombersley that I have are as follows

1   August   1813   John   s   John   Cupper   Hannah   Cupper   Labourer   Ombersley
6   May   1787   James   s   John   Cupper   Mary   Cupper      
6   September   1789   Elizabeth   d   John   Cupper   Mary   Cupper      
6   February   1820   Thomas   s   John   Cupper   Dinah   Cupper   Labourer   Ombersley
11   April   1847   Thomas      John   Cupper   Elizabeth   Cupper   Shoemaker   The Hadland
12   March   1780   John   s   John   Cupper   Mary   Cupper      
12   February   1826   Edward   s   John   Cupper   Mary   Cupper   Labourer   Ombersley
13   September   1778   Thomas   s   John   Cupper   Mary   Cupper      
13   December   1835   Henry   s   John   Cupper   Mary   Cupper   Labourer   Ombersley
16   May   1812   William   s   John   Cupper   Hannah   Cupper      
16   March   1828   Sarah   d   John   Cupper   Mary   Cupper   Labourer   Ombersley
18   July   1830   James   s   John   Cupper   Mary   Cupper   Labourer   Ombersley
20   June   1784   William   s   John   Cupper   Mary   Cupper      
23   July   1815   Elizabeth   d   John   Cupper   Deana   Cupper   Labourer   Ombersley
25   January   1782   Sarah   d   John   Cupper   Mary   Cupper      
30   December   1832   Ann   d   John   Cupper   Mary   Cupper   Labourer   Ombersley
30   November   1722   William   s   Tho    Cupper   Eliz    Cupper      
15   October   1725   Ann   d   Thomas   Cupper   Elizabeth   Cupper      

Hope there is something additional to assist you.

The link that you sent was a myheritage site for Chambers, I had a quick look and there was an Ann and Annie Cupper ? Was it this link that gave you the additional information or another ?

DT
(My side)
(Wife's Side)

Offline Dat402

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 September 11 09:19 BST (UK) »
C.Rhodda

Was the correct link and have found what you were talking about. I have emailed Mark Chambers and if I find anything that is relevant to Thomas then I will post for you.

DT
(My side)
(Wife's Side)

Offline Mark Chambers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cupper family,

I'm Mark Chambers and have researched Cupper family in Ombersley, Worcestershire area way back to John Cupper 1751 Upper Arley-Burial 1829.Anyone looking for more records or information please contact me.

Regards

Mark
Hi i'm Mark.
I enjoy researching Family trees and like to help other people who need local information to Worcestershire,England