Author Topic: Irish immigration to America and back 1901-1911  (Read 4014 times)

Offline JDJames89

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Irish immigration to America and back 1901-1911
« on: Thursday 11 August 11 01:19 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find proof concerning an ancestor of mine:

Michael or Patrick Callaghan (seen usually as Michael) was born 26 Mar 1867 in the Lismore district of Co Waterford (maybe in Ballyphillip) to parents Patrick Callaghan and Jane Power. He was a carpenter. In 1901, he was living with his parents and brothers John (born 6 Dec 1878) and James (born 19 Apr 1872) in Clashnamrock on Co Waterford. In 1911, Michael appears as the head of his own household in Co Waterford with a wife and children.

Its said, though, in family records, that Michael was in Pennsylvania by 1905 and had a daughter (looking perhaps illegitimate) and I’m trying to find positive proof of this. I would love it if anyone could help me find conclusive immigration records between 1901 and 1911 coming or going between Ireland and America for Michael. I have been browsing Ellis Island records but have found nothing with enough information to be much of interest. Maybe someone knows of records on the UK side of immigration that would be specific enough to help me out?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Irish immigration to America and back 1901-1911
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 August 11 09:42 BST (UK) »
Ideally there should be records of him leaving the U.K., arriving in the U.S. and then arriving back in the U.K. (am not aware of any records online for passengers leaving U.S.).

FindMyPast has records of people leaving the U.K. 1890-1960. Although it's a pay site you can often get enough information from the free search to locate other records (name, age (sometimes), year, post of departure and port of arrival).
http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action?redef=0

Ellis Island only covers N.Y. arrivals but ships also went into other ports such as Philadelphia. Also possible he first went to Canada and then came to U.S.

Ancestry do have some reocrds for U.K. arrivals. If you don't have a subscription there's a 14 day trial offer (be sure to cancel in time or they will bill your credit card for 1 year subscription) and some libraries have Ancestry Library edition.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 18:30 BST (UK) »
I did find that passenger lists leaving America weren't kept until 1908.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline SRyan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 December 19 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi, would anyone know if you can find records of people being turned away and sent back, and why they were sent back. Have found family who landed in Elllis Island seemed to have returned back home straight away. Home a month after they left😲. It was in 1903, Thanks

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 December 19 15:45 GMT (UK) »
On the passenger list to the US, you may be able to see how long they intended to stay or if they intended to stay permanently.  There are also records of aliens who were detained for special inquiry, such as if they had an illness or they were likely to be a public charge (meaning that they couldn't afford to care for themselves).  This gives some more information about those records - https://www.sassyjanegenealogy.com/immigrants-detained-at-ellis-island/

Offline SRyan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 December 19 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply. It’s a bit of a mystery, they were listed on a ship to NY leaving in July and crossed off, then listed again in August on another ship to NY and then listed as disembarking the same one back home in Sept. I’ve no idea what went on.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Being crossed off means they didn't sail.  This site has helpful information about interpreting markings on ship manifests - https://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/manifests/left/