Author Topic: McKeon, McKeowen, McKeown (and other spellings) and emigration to New Zealand  (Read 12085 times)

Offline Bryan1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Good day all,
This is my first foray into this County, having had ancestors in what seems to be every other county in Ireland. So I am not unfamiliar with the research difficulties.
I have a great grandfather Michael McKEOWEN arriving in NZ around 1875. This surname spelling is what he seems to have adopted. The only immigration record in any way close is a "Michl McKEOWN", aboard the ship "Fernglen" arriving in Auckland in April 1875, as a native of Kings County, aged 23, single (extracted from FamilySearch). He seems to have settled in Wellington. The stated age fit in with the dates given at his marriage and death. His death certificate gives his place of birth as Ireland - very helpful! It states his parents as John and Margaret. He married (in Wellington, NZ) a Catherine BRADLEY from Cty Kerry in 1879. His own sons were named Henry, John, James.
A search of Griffiths (1854) in Offaly gives only 3 surname similarities that I can find:
McKEOHAN Michael, Tinnamuck West, Kilmanagh,
McKEON Bridget, Fearroy, Kilcumreragh,
McKEON Michael, Faheeran, Kilcumreragh.

I guess I have 3 queries:
1. Does anyone have any connection with this name in Offaly, or indeed NZ?
2. What RC parish would these McKeown's have attended?
3. I can't seem to find any closely relevant birth/baptism date for a Michael around the relevant date through https://rootsireland.ie/ifhf/ which at the moment is my source of information. Is there somewhere else I should look?
Any leads or hints would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Bryan
Christchurch
NZ
Pickett, Parrott, Fitzpatrick, McKeowen

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: McKeon, McKeowen, McKeown (and other spellings) and emigration to New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 August 11 10:23 BST (UK) »
I see a few more McKeon entries in Co. Offaly than you mentioned - is there a reason you selected the three examples above?

See : McKeon - Griffiths Valuation

To check the record dates available for the various parishes see : RC Parishes Co. Offaly  Note that not all parishes have records back as far as Michael's baptism.

The parishes mentioned on Griffith's are Civil/Church of Ireland parishes. You can usually cross reference these with RC parishes using either the civil parish map for Co. Offaly (also on the Irish Times Website), or by checking the link in the details for the individual RC parish details - see 'Click here for a listing of placenames within this parish'  This shows a list of civil parishes included in the RC parish, and clicking on these, shows a list of the included townlands.

The primary reference source for townlands and civil parishes for this time is the 1851 index of townlands which is available online at : www.thecore.com/seanruad

Do you know an occupation for John ?

see :

Introduction to Irish Records
 My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?   

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McKeon, McKeowen, McKeown (and other spellings) and emigration to New Zealand
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 August 11 13:03 BST (UK) »
Out of several cemeteries in Offaly, with photo records the below are the only Mc Keown/Mc Keon I came across.

Belmont cemetery;

Bertie Mc Keown; Kilcommin Belmont
22/1/1964 (50)
wife-Mary Jo;
16/5/1986
dtr-Maura;
26/5/1984 (41)
-----
Birr;

Martha Mc Keown; Crinkle Birr
23/9/1986
--
Mucklagh;

Daniel Mc Keon; Glaskill Screggan
25/7/1965 (59)
wife-Elizabeth;
18/8/1986 (81)

Joseph Mc Keon; Killurin Tullamore
4/10/1997 (58)
================================
Jack

Offline Bryan1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 August 11 00:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your replies.
Griffiths: I was using this site assuming it was comprehensive but obviously not: http://www.failteromhat.com/ and those were the only names I came up with.
So thank you for the other site and names. I guess from Griffiths there's no way of knowing the religion of individuals, is there?
I am still making a lot of assumptions especially that the Michael of the immigration record is mine. It's odd though not entirely unusual that no other family members seem to have come with him, earlier or later. Maybe I'm just lucky that my other Irish connections brought quite a few members.
So I'll wander around the Townland/Parish clues you've given and see what I can find.
Thanks again
Bryan
Pickett, Parrott, Fitzpatrick, McKeowen

Offline Nailer1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 August 11 19:19 BST (UK) »
Could I suggest that Tubber Parish, Co.  Offaly,  near Moate, Co. Westmeath could be a good starting point for your enquiries.  !!

Offline caimein

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 September 19 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hello,
 My grandmother was Elizabeth McKeon/McKeown. She was born in Clara, Offaly. Her parents were Michael McKeon and Mary Rigney. Clara is near Tubber and Tinnamuck.
I am trying to trace the family back further and have my DNA tested in the hope of finding some matches.
Regards
Cai

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 September 19 11:57 BST (UK) »

I did this Search on https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp  which is the Irish Govt BDM website where one can get Certs free.

You know her parents were Michael McKeon and Mary Rigney  so I just looked for Marriages of Mary Rigney  anywhere any time

Link
  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ofr/ 

for example you get one

Party 1 Name   MICHAEL MCKEONE
Party 2 Name   MARY RIGNEY
Date of Event   27 July 1895

if this is correct time frame  ( Cert PDF  attached) 

If it is correct you can then amend the Search to look for her Birth on the website and quite possibly Marriage of Parents, Siblings, Death of Parents etc or if not scroll through others on Link posted.

There is a Captcha to solve, then sign in, no Sub required!

Some with Returns Page No do not have Images yet but one can check back occasionally to check for Updates via Link.

https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/civil-records/help/what-civil-records-are-on-line  explains Years covered etc.

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 September 19 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hello,
 My grandmother was Elizabeth McKeon/McKeown. She was born in Clara, Offaly. Her parents were Michael McKeon and Mary Rigney. Clara is near Tubber and Tinnamuck.
I am trying to trace the family back further and have my DNA tested in the hope of finding some matches.
Regards
Cai
You haven't given any idea of dates, I did see a Michael McKeone marriage to Mary Rigney in 1895 registered in Tullamore but when I tried to check it the site went funny, I'm sure it will be back later.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 September 19 12:14 BST (UK) »

As you can see from PDF posted, on Marriage Reg one gets father's names etc and I see he was a Widower so one can amend Search to look for first Marriage, wife's Death and possible children from that Marriage PLUS if the Marriage is the correct one then you can use District when searching.

Then for earlier records  https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0916 Clara and Horseleap  as R.c. registers are online, free.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.