Author Topic: how do I find exact land location in Upsall, Yorkshire?  (Read 2791 times)

Offline kiwibob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
how do I find exact land location in Upsall, Yorkshire?
« on: Friday 12 August 11 22:33 BST (UK) »
My great great grandmother had 5 acres of land in Upsall and apparently was a "farmer" in 1871 is there anyway of finding out exactly where her land was and what farming she might have done on the land?
Peat,Ayton,Lonsdale,Eden,Sleight(s),Amon,McKay,Haylock,Nickel

Offline The Mc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: how do I find exact land location in Upsall, Yorkshire?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 August 11 22:54 BST (UK) »
Probably the Land Registry.......more details here....

http://www.landregistryservices.com/land-registry/index.asp

They will certainly put you in the right direction....

Offline BSIGGYME

• RootsChat Extra
  • lollipop-people ar not just for christmas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 February 21 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi I live in eston up the road is a place called upsill it as farm land stables an old people home and a garden center it as a mining past as Eston ironstone mines if you put upsill near eston in to your browser it with come up with loads of information hope this helps

Offline Sandblown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 February 21 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Was Your G.G.Grandmother Farming in the 1850s, or another member of the Family, on the same Land ? Unless They owned the Land, They would be Tenant Farmers, paying rent to the Landowner. Tithe Maps and Apportionments, detailing the Tenants and Landowners are available to view on Subscription Geneologist Sites, as well as Public Record Offices, and Libraries.
Kirkham, Garlick, Worthington, Shaw, Bamber. Fylde Coast
Naylor/Nailor, Lyons, Wilkinson. Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire
Redfern. Cheshire/Derbyshire
LeFebvere, Lincolnshire

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 February 21 22:23 GMT (UK) »
If she was living there in the 1871 (or other) census/es you might be able to narrow down the location by following the enumerstor’s route (written on page one of the census book).

Descriptions of routes can vary in amount of detail given, from just a general description of the area covered, to naming specific farms and sometimes owners.

If you need more detail than given on page one, make a note of the neighbouring addresses from the census to map out the route - then try to follow it on an old map. I recommend the NLS side by side maps. Once you find the approximate location, if the NLS map doesn't give enough detail, sometimes different maps from old-maps.co.uk are worth a look.

This method may or may not work to find a specific farm, depending on other factors. Let us know if you need any help with this, and give us her name and other details so we can find her on the censuses.

Regarding what she farmed ... knowing the location might help us make an educated guess.  :)

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 February 21 22:33 GMT (UK) »
From British History Online:

SOUTH KILVINGTON
¶The parish, which includes the townships of South Kilvington, Thornbrough and Upsall, lies to the north of Thirsk and covers about 2,920 acres. Of this 1,300 acres are pasture and about an equal area is in cultivation. (fn. 1) The subsoil is lower lias, and the chief crops grown are wheat, barley and turnips.

Offline kiwibob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 05:30 GMT (UK) »
 Thanks very much Ruskie, BSIGGYME, The Mc for the help and suggestions will investigate. Sandblown not 100% sure but would guess a tenant farmer she was a single mother of 2 assume she made some kind of living of the land but not sure what on 5 acres.
Peat,Ayton,Lonsdale,Eden,Sleight(s),Amon,McKay,Haylock,Nickel