Author Topic: Cheney (or Chainey), Puncknowle, Dorset  (Read 3964 times)

Offline Discoveringmypast

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cheney (or Chainey), Puncknowle, Dorset
« on: Saturday 13 August 11 02:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

My 3 x great grandparents are James Hansford and Elizabeth Cheney who married 1828 in Puncknowle, Dorset.  In the parish marriage records Elizabeth's surname is spelt Chainey, but I know it has also been spelt Cheney.

(James and Elizabeth's third child is Elizabeth (my 2 x great grandmother) who was born 1833.  I have the marriage certificate when she wed Edward Thompson in Bristol, 1855 and Elizabeth's middle name is shown as Cheney.)

With the great online Dorset parish records I have been able to find James Hansford's parents and his grandparents but I'm not having much luck finding Elizabeth's parents etc.

Can anyone help please with the Cheney/Chainey ancestors?

Thank you!
Sue

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Cheney (or Chainey), Puncknowle, Dorset
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 August 11 13:48 BST (UK) »
You haven't included any details of Elizabeth's birthyear or birthplace

1851 shows her b 1798 Puncknowle - she was 7yrs older than James

Is she shown as a spinster on the 1828 marriage entry?  The reason I ask is I found this marriage on the IGI Pilot website

Thomas Chainey spouse Elizabeth Clark  17.5.1821 Puncknowle Dorset

Just wondered if perhaps Chainey was her previous married name
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Discoveringmypast

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 August 11 15:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replying.

I found a copy of the banns for the marriage but it just shows James Hansford and Elizabeth Cheney "of this parish".

The transcription of her marriage 20 Dec 1828 doesn't show if she is a spinster.  I also wondered if she had been married before to Thomas Cheney in 1821 but I couldn't trace that he had died.

Elizabeth's birth year varies from 1798 - 1801 depending on which census you look at but shows she was born in Puncknowle.

In the parish records collection there is a Elizabeth Hansford who was buried in Puncknowle on 23 March 1874 and her birth year as 1798 which I believe is her.

Thanks for your help.
Sue

Offline dhhound

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 October 11 20:35 BST (UK) »
I have some Puncknowle Cheneys (Chaineys) in my family. The farthest back is Thomas Cheney 1760 - 1837 (FIL of a 1st cousin, 4x reoved), who married Alice Churchill. The only child of theirs I've traced is John, 1792 - 1828, married Anne Vincent 1794 - 1856, and their four children, Eliza b 1822, Henry b 1824, Charles 1826 - 1899 and Mary Ann Walrond 1827 - 1829.

Offline tnorbury

• RootsChat Member
  • A growing family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 August 12 19:53 BST (UK) »
There is an Elizabeth Hansford birth about 1798 married to James in Punknowle in the 1851 Punknowle census.  She died 23 Mar 1874 birth about 1798 in Puncknowle which I agree is probably her.  The marriage certificate said Cheyney but this could be Cheney, Chainey etc as spelling was not standardized.

The Elizabeth Clarke that married 1821 to Thomas Cheney was with him in the 1851 census, in Nether Cerne Dorset birth about 1799.

I have tried to look at the records but have found nothing new.  Have you ordered her death certificate to see if there are any clues. 

There is a Elizabeth Hansford is in the Puncknowle records birth abt 1798 age 76 burial 23 Mar 1874.  There are two possible Elizabeths that died in 1874
Elizabeth Hansford death registered Mar qtr 1874 age 76
RD Bridport Dorset
Volume:    5a
Page:    288

This is the second one in the Bridport registration district...
Elizabeth Hansford death registered Mar 1874 age 76 Bridport Dorset
Page:    283

There is a third one in the Bridport registration district but this one does not match the death date in the Puncknowle records.
Elizabeth Hansford death registered Jun qtr 1874 age 75 Bridport Dorset
Page:    255

I have Cheney's born in Puncknowle but you would have to go back at least a generation to connect with mine.

Trudy
CHICK, CHUBB, CLOTHIER, GALE, DOBLE, PIDGEON, GLOYNES