Author Topic: Need help with ancestry.com  (Read 8350 times)

Sue C

Re:Need help with ancestry.com
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 June 04 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,
Yes the MSID viewer is a real pain, it is not compatible with any other software and the 1920 image you cannot save to your PC. I spent hours afew months ago with the rotten thing!

I have solved the problem. The only way I know of is to use "Adobe Acrobat" prof, this way you can print to acrobat ( instead of using your printer option) and it will make a PDF for you, which you can save to your pc and read at leasure! It works a treat and I find I use the PDF now for all my census returns as they are so much easier to read from the monitor.

Good luck,
Susie

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 June 04 10:27 BST (UK) »
I agree with Susie 200% - works a treat

Offline Scottish2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 June 04 11:48 BST (UK) »
Is there a link to open it in adobe? If not how do you get it opened in adobe?

Offline Clincher

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 June 04 12:00 BST (UK) »
When I bought my current computer the package included a complimentary CDROM for Adobe Photoshop. If you go to http://www.adobe.co.uk/products/photoshopalbum    I believe you will be able to download an introductory version (for free I think) which I am sure will be sufficient for this purpose at least.

Offline Scottish2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 June 04 12:19 BST (UK) »
OK thanks will download it when I get back from my walk.

Do I need to do anything specific to get the documents to get it to open in adobe instead of the program it is currently loading into?

Offline Scottish2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 June 04 13:13 BST (UK) »
OK actually just checked when I saw name again I have this program already. So how do I get it to open the images up?

Offline Clincher

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 22 June 04 16:00 BST (UK) »
Your message suggests you haven't used the program at all before. if this is the case you probably need to register with Adobe first. Click on your Adobe program and see if a registration page appears.This probably sounds a bit sinister but in my experience they are a very responsible company and this is a reasonable marketing tactic in my opinion considering the quality of the function they offer for free. Once you have registered you should see icons that take you through it. Hope this helps.

Offline Scottish2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 22 June 04 16:02 BST (UK) »
no never used it but will check it out

Sue C

« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 22 June 04 17:46 BST (UK) »
You must have "ADOBE ACROBAT" not photoshop. Right click image and choose "print" change your printer properties to "print to acrobat" (do not actually use your printer) "save as PDF to hard disc ain a folder of your choice...that's it. It' will open as pdf and it's just great!
Susie